Windows for Submarines

Story: Windows For Submarines: Please Tell Me This Is A HoaxTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
happyfeet

Dec 19, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
Quoting:"Tech support: "Can you tell us the problem with your submarine?" HMS Bob: "Das Not Boot.""

Thanks, TC. I needed a good laugh...
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 19, 2008
2:18 PM EDT
So, I guess that when it does crash...we'll start finding our Subs at the bottom of the ocean..ugh.
herzeleid

Dec 19, 2008
2:43 PM EDT
Ugh, now the royal navy is sunk for sure.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 19, 2008
4:15 PM EDT
Hehe, "HMS Bob". Fitting.

(the submarine service turned me down, a crushing emotional blow to an aimless teenager. might be why I turned anarchist. defund them all! a-hahaha! sell the titanium for razor blades!)
ABCC

Dec 19, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
So much for nuclear subs staying submerged for months on end, it'll be up to periscope depth atleast every patch tuesday...
azerthoth

Dec 19, 2008
4:54 PM EDT
ABCC you mean dock, so they can reboot the submarine after the updates.
henke54

Dec 19, 2008
4:55 PM EDT
Quoting:[Source: Article by Neil Mackay, Investigations Editor, *Sunday Herald* (Scotland), 10 Oct 2004]

......Gerald Wilson, who has 25 years' experience designing naval software, worked for Alenia Marconi Systems (AMS) in a joint venture with Bae Systems and the Italian company Finmeccanica on the combat system for the Type 45 destroyer, which will rely on Microsoft Windows 2000. System failure in action, he says, would leave the ship blind, defenceless, and as good as sunk.

Dismissed after voicing his fears to the Ministry of Defence and the Defence Procurement Agency (DPA), Wilson wants to give evidence to the parliamentary defence select committee about the software.

Last night he told Channel 4 news that "the use of Windows For Warships puts the ship and her crew at risk, and the defence of the realm".

There are also plans to install a similar Microsoft Windows-based computerised command system on Britain's nuclear submarines. Wilson said: "It is inconceivable that we could allow the possible accidental release of nuclear missiles. The people who survived such an exchange, if any, would certainly regard such a thing as a crime against humanity. And I can't help feeling that even planning to deploy such systems on Windows, with its unreliability and lack of security, is itself some sort of crime in international law." .........
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.56.html#subj4 http://www.csamuel.org/2004/10/15/microsoft-server-crash-nea...

scary...........
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 19, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
Wow wow wow..
Bob_Robertson

Dec 19, 2008
6:00 PM EDT
"Windows For Warships"

That all by itself gave me the serious willies.
DrDubious

Dec 20, 2008
12:29 PM EDT
Yorktown 2: British Bugaloo!

(Really, did they actually FORGET the USS Yorktown, or have they been paid off to PRETEND they forgot?)
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 20, 2008
12:48 PM EDT
So what happens when a virus or something causes a subs twenty or so ICBM's to go off like Roman Candles and half the planet glows in the dark?

This is bad bad bad..
TxtEdMacs

Dec 20, 2008
1:40 PM EDT
Scott and Others,

Don't worry, equipped to dive that will need no of an order from the commander. It's probably sunk already. "Where Do You Want to Go Today?" Bottom of the Sea? No Problem ...

So quit worrying, the self destruct is built-in, with Windows Security.
hkwint

Dec 20, 2008
3:45 PM EDT
Quoting:So what happens when a virus or something causes a subs twenty or so ICBM's to go off like Roman Candles and half the planet glows in the dark?

That's where the singing starts. "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when... But I know we'll meet again some sunny day"

(Part taken from "How I learned to stop worrying and love Windows")
hkwint

Dec 20, 2008
4:01 PM EDT
At least, finally, Microsoft Windows is good for Dutch economy since this will give the 'famous' Mammoet Smit Tak some new work in the near future.

(If you missed the news the past few years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_K-141_Kursk#R... )
ColonelPanik

Dec 20, 2008
6:00 PM EDT
/°_°
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2008
3:33 PM EDT
Attention. Attention. This is your Captain speaking, All hands forward head aft. I repeat, All hands forward head aft. All hands aft head forward. All hands aft head forward. All hands amidships stand by to direct traffic.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!