All roads lead to Ubuntu

Story: All roads lead to UbuntuTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Jan 14, 2009
1:45 PM EDT
Steven: HERESY

All the "real" Linux people will be coming after you for this. But I have had just about the same experience. Ubuntu works.
tuxchick

Jan 14, 2009
2:17 PM EDT
I am readying the flaming torches and pitchforks even now. Mmmm, flames! Not that I take issue with the article, in fact I enjoyed it. I just like flaming torches and pitchforks.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 14, 2009
2:43 PM EDT
Yes, one should love mayhem for mayhem's sake, not for some half-baked and transient "purpose".

Ubuntu has been working great for me, too...on my hardware.....
azerthoth

Jan 14, 2009
3:01 PM EDT
I know I said I wouldnt touch it again until they released 'perverted penguin' but it does work well on my retasked OLPC turned print/file/RAS server.
bigg

Jan 14, 2009
3:20 PM EDT
I had Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a laptop. Updated a week ago. Rebooted. No way to start X.

Decided to install the new Sabayon release just to see what Sabayon is like. Works great.

I'll admit that Ubuntu was pretty good until it stopped working.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 14, 2009
3:33 PM EDT
I would've rolled ZenWalk onto the box, but I'm waiting for 5.4 to get out of beta.

And I couldn't believe that the seemingly unsolvable bug plaguing me in Debian Lenny (video artifacts) is still there, months later, on a totally different platform.

I went from Knoppix -- Puppy -- Ubuntu -- Debian ... and having Debian Etch work so well but Lenny so ... not well, even at this late stage in the release's push toward stable, has been very disappointing.

The crux of the article is that I'm happy enough to stick with OpenBSD, but it's those few pieces of non-FOSS I either occasionally (or habitually) need that are screwing things up.

Right now, the Opera browser is a must. It's free, but there is no source, so it can't be built natively for OpenBSD. I used to think that OpenBSD's Linux emulation was flawless. It might still be, but Opera is crashing way too often to be useful. It's either Opera or OpenBSD's Linux compatibility layer that is screwing up. I just don't have the time or expertise to figure out which it is.

And then there's Flash. I'd love to be rid of it. Mostly I can safely ignore it, but there are times when I need to work with Web video, and right now, for good or ill, that means Flash.

Having a widely adopted, open standard for embedded video on the Web, and having my one pain-in-the-rear SAAS app work with Firefox would solve all of my problems in life.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 14, 2009
4:38 PM EDT
Quoting: and having Debian Etch work so well but Lenny so ... not well, even at this late stage in the release's push toward stable, has been very disappointing.

I feel like I and others have beaten this into the ground before...but...there are really only two stages of a Debian release...ready and not ready. Etch is ready. Lenny is not ready. Use accordingly.
ColonelPanik

Jan 14, 2009
5:12 PM EDT
Where does one store the work done on a SASS program?

SASS=CLOUD?

purplewizard

Jan 14, 2009
6:54 PM EDT
8.10 doesn't install on my hardware. Still on 8.04 consequently. It's down to the display driver on boot from the disk not giving me anything useful and I haven't had time to look for bodges to get around it. Thought I had to add that as a minor counter, that though I do feel happy on Ubuntu for the very reason it just works (and frustrated at work with XP pah!) alas it doesn't always just work.

Sander_Marechal

Jan 14, 2009
6:58 PM EDT
@purplewizard: Doesn't Ubuntu offer a "safe graphics" mode for installation?
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 14, 2009
8:04 PM EDT
There was a time, many months ago, when Lenny was running fine. I'd have a problem, then I'd look at the bug reports and either fix it myself (most of the time) or enjoy it being fixed with a patch.

Then things like this display problem began, and much to my surprise there has been no fix forthcoming. I've tweaked everything in xorg.conf that can be tweaked, tried every driver I could find ...

No user should have to go through this to get basic functionality on an off-the-shelf, major-maker laptop.

Or should I say that no user needs to. That's because just about every other modern distro I've tried, including Ubuntu, Mandriva and CentOS, doesn't have this problem. (Unfortunately, Slackware 12.0 presented many X issues on my Gateway, one of which was the same screen artifacts, the other being a lack of ability to get 24-bit color, even though it's supported).

Words to live by here: Your mileage may vary. I happen to be using quite a few boxes at the moment, and yes, I have almost no trouble with Debian Etch. I'm reluctant to upgrade my G4 to Lenny because of the trouble I've had in i386.

Bottom line: Unless some kind of miraculous bug-squashing goes on, Lenny will go stable with these problems, or it'll never go stable. I suspect the former (stable but with persistent problems).

Sure I'll try Lenny again after it finally does go stable, but I'm losing my taste for it.
azerthoth

Jan 14, 2009
8:32 PM EDT
tis a terrible thing, but your running into much the same issues I had during the run up to Etch going stable. I finally tossed my hands up in the air and walked away, distro hopped for awhile before finally landing on Gentoo and Gentoo based systems (Sabayon,Funtoo,Gentoo). Haven't looked back since, and if I were to have to choose a different one now, I'd have to go with Arch.
vainrveenr

Jan 14, 2009
8:48 PM EDT
The fifth thread commentator writes
Quoting:I'll admit that Ubuntu was pretty good until it stopped working.
... and this should ideally bring readers right back to another LXer thread by the same commentator regarding Slackware 12.2 just over a month ago and appropriately titled 'Just like Ubuntu', http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/28211/

bigg

Jan 15, 2009
12:30 PM EDT
> Haven't looked back since, and if I were to have to choose a different one now, I'd have to go with Arch.

That's where I ended up after leaving Debian.

From the bit I've played with it, Sabayon is the exact opposite of Arch. A Sabayon installation is like Noah's ark, with two of everything on board. Arch leaves all decisions to the user. The install is minimal. You have to install everything yourself, including X, and do all the configuration (or more accurately, you have to run the configuration scripts). I never had problems, but dropped it because I was always nervous about running a rolling release distro on a work machine.
techiem2

Jan 15, 2009
10:01 PM EDT
Sounds like Arch is pretty similar to raw Gentoo.

Azer: Have you played with Funtoo much? If so, how does it compare to mainline Gentoo?

I've been really happy with Gentoo. I play with others a bit now and then. I run Mandriva on mom's computer and the sd card in my Freerunner boots up Debian. I'll grab the latest Ubuntu live disc now and then to see what it's like at the moment, but that's about it. If I want Debian I'll run raw Debian...
azerthoth

Jan 16, 2009
12:29 AM EDT
@techiem the differences between Funtoo and Gentoo are minimal to the point of not noticing it. Exceptions are in the initial setup and that when you do emerge --sync your using git. Daniel has brought alot of it back to the user, have an issue and you drop him a line, it magically gets put on the fix list and fixed fairly quickly.

While I say that they are minimal changes, thats only from an end user perspective, in following channel chatter there do seem to be some technical improvements in the base system.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!