Non-issue?

Story: How safely uninstall Linux when Dual boot installed with Windows XP?Total Replies: 16
Author Content
r_a_trip

Feb 02, 2009
5:59 AM EDT
“How will you uninstall Linux when it is Dual Boot installed with Windows XP?”

Get your local Linux geek to fix it, as it is most likely s/he got you in this mess in the first place. Which user installs a dual boot system and doesn't know how to handle boot loaders? Setting up dual boot systems is well outside of normal computer usage.

For all people who would like to try Linux and don't know about partitioning, boot loaders and fixing stuff after installation, just get Ubuntu. Ubuntu comes with Wubi, the Windows Ubuntu Installer. Since Wubi installs Ubuntu practically as an application under Windows, it is almost fireproof. If you want to get rid of it, just go to Add/Remove Software under Control Panel.

For all those veteran GNU/Linux users; Ubuntu is GNU/Linux enough. Don't discourage new users just because Ubuntu isn't a darling under seasoned users...
bigg

Feb 02, 2009
8:11 AM EDT
I'm confused - there might be someone who has Linux installed other than Ubuntu with Wubi. Your advice would be helpful to someone choosing to install, and assuming it works, would be one possibility. I don't think this is a good reason to tell everyone to use Wubi, though.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 02, 2009
11:13 AM EDT
Quoting:Since Wubi installs Ubuntu practically as an application under Windows, it is almost fireproof.

Yes, because it's such a fantastic idea to run an OS off a giant file in a FAT32 or NTFS fylesystem. Totally fireproof!

/cue hysterical laughter

Seriously, Wubi is a nice plaything for people to try out Ubuntu, just as a LiveCD is. Don't use it for serious work.
r_a_trip

Feb 02, 2009
11:37 AM EDT
Can we remove the seasoned GNU/Linux user glasses for like 2 minutes?

The article was obviously written for people who don't know how to deal with a native installation of GNU/Linux.

What is so wrong in suggesting a method to users not yet savvy enough to mess with GRUB, partitions and a native installation to just get Ubuntu, which comes bundled with Wubi, and use GNU/Linux as easy as possible? Yes, it is far from ideal from a seasoned users viewpoint. Then again, most seasoned users don't open up shop 24/7 and pro deo to help newbies become Guru's themselves.

So running "an OS off a giant file in a FAT32 or NTFS fylesystem" is as fireproof as it gets for a newbie, who still is dependent on a fully functioning Windows system. A Wubi installation at least can be fairly easy removed without leaving garbage behind and it doesn't require a Linux Guru on site.

First people get their feet wet, then they learn how to swim.

On a side note: I just knew people on LXer would jump on the Ubuntu thing as it seems to be anathema here.
azerthoth

Feb 02, 2009
11:50 AM EDT
@trip, um your the one who started the first post on the uber defensive, no one knocked Ubuntu, they knocked Wubi, there is a difference.

As to the article, The author has you removing the linux partitions prior to fixing the MBR, which can also be done from an XP disc, not just 98. The problem with removing the partitions first is that you remove the rest of your boot loader prior to making sure you have a functional boot loader in place.
bigg

Feb 02, 2009
12:12 PM EDT
> On a side note: I just knew people on LXer would jump on the Ubuntu thing as it seems to be anathema here.

And as I suspected, you have completely missed the point. Are you contending that not a single Linux user has ever installed anything other than Ubuntu using Wubi? What is the point you are trying to make? Someone wants to remove a Linux distribution and your answer is that they should use Wubi. What am I missing - there's sort of a difference between installing and removing Linux.

Wubi is also very slow, in my experience, when it even installs correctly. I don't like the idea that new users should be forbidden from being able to do whatever they want. Mostly I think even new users should have options.

Yes, Wubi is available. I don't see what that has to do with an article talking about the removal of Linux.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 02, 2009
2:12 PM EDT
Quoting:What is so wrong in suggesting a method to users not yet savvy enough to mess with GRUB, partitions and a native installation to just get Ubuntu, which comes bundled with Wubi, and use GNU/Linux as easy as possible?

Define "use". Wubi is fine to test-drive Linux, just like a LiveCD is. The added advantage is that you can actually install things and make changes that remain between reboots. But you shouldn't use it for normal day-to-day usage.

By all means, install Wubi for new users have have them muck about for a few weeks. But then if they decide they kinda like this Linux-thing then you should move to a regular installation with proper partitions and a proper bootloader.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 02, 2009
2:36 PM EDT
Here's what i would do.

Back up EVERYTHING on the Linux install, all files, videos, pictures etc.

Install Windows over it.

Now do dual boot install with Linux.

Obviously I have condensed a couple of steps, but still I got the gist of it right?

ColonelPanik

Feb 02, 2009
3:49 PM EDT
Remove the winders partition. Use Linux. Linux.
tracyanne

Feb 02, 2009
4:11 PM EDT
What CP said.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 02, 2009
4:58 PM EDT
Quoting:Remove the winders partition.

That would remove Wubi too.
r_a_trip

Feb 02, 2009
5:16 PM EDT
OK, let me explain it in very simple terms.

“How will you uninstall Linux when it is Dual Boot installed with Windows XP?”

Get your local Linux geek to fix it, as it is most likely s/he got you in this mess in the first place. Which user installs a dual boot system and doesn't know how to handle boot loaders? Setting up dual boot systems is well outside of normal computer usage.

My contention: People who want to remove GNU/Linux, but don't know how to get rid of it, don't know how to create a dual boot system in the first place. You need basic knowledge about partitioning, formatting and boot loaders for that.

So some inconsiderate geek set up a dual boot and left the user alone with it. Since GNU/Linux was not to the taste of the user, there is a chunk of hard drive used up by it. Since that user wants Windows, that user needs to reclaim some hard drive real estate. My suggestion: Get that geek to clean up the mess.

For all people who would like to try Linux and don't know about partitioning, boot loaders and fixing stuff after installation, just get Ubuntu. Ubuntu comes with Wubi, the Windows Ubuntu Installer. Since Wubi installs Ubuntu practically as an application under Windows, it is almost fireproof. If you want to get rid of it, just go to Add/Remove Software under Control Panel.

My suggestion: Don't let some inconsiderate geek mess up your system. Take matters into your own hands and install Ubuntu via Wubi. Ubuntu is Linux enough to give new users an idea if they like the system. If you don't like it, you don't need a geek to remove what you don't want and as a bonus don't need to hear all the blah blah of why your are missing out on an opportunity. Add/remove programs and your short Linux stint is gone...

For all those veteran GNU/Linux users; Ubuntu is GNU/Linux enough. Don't discourage new users just because Ubuntu isn't a darling under seasoned users...

Why this little piece... To head of all the criticism of veteran Linux users against using linux in a file under Windows. Veteran users with a very narrow view of what constitutes the proper way of using and trying out GNU/Linux. By the way, nobody rails against virtual machines, but Oh Nos Ubuntu in a file (vdi?!) under Windows is the end of the world.

In other words, I wasn't preaching to the choir. I was pointing to an easy, empowering option to those not yet familiar with Linux. Sorry that I wasn't echoing the same old same old with the stale group who can dream Linux.
bigg

Feb 02, 2009
5:44 PM EDT
IOW that's the answer because you said so.
hkwint

Feb 02, 2009
7:27 PM EDT
Well, instead of using Wubi, I suggest people just willing to 'get their feet wet' use Linux from a CD or USB-stick. This avoids the problem of Linux on FAT/NTFS and bootloaders altogether.

However, for someone having a dual-boot and not wanting it, asking a geek may be a better solution. I found myself in this situation in the past - with the geek not being reachable (off to the coffeeshop again, if you know what I mean) and I found the solution myself using a search engine and some 'exotic' boot manager on a floppy; which was neither DOS, Linux or BSD IIRC.

Quoting:You need basic knowledge about partitioning, formatting and boot loaders for that.

As my example shows, I don't agree; though I may be an exception? What you need is a simple program taking care of things for you. Windows & fixmbr wouldn't be the most 'approachable' solution in my opinion, there are better alternatives for the boot-unaware. Back when the only thing I had ever used was Windows (and C64 and Nintendo?) and I knew nothing about partitioning - apart from Win install - and boot loaders I was nonetheless able to use some boot-manager on a floppy to delete my BSD-option in the boot-screen. Of course I agree if you don't have the basic knowledge mentioned it would be wise not to try this because of the risks involved, but don't underestimate those willing to get their feet wet. A search engine and some freeware can do miracles!
DarrenR114

Feb 03, 2009
3:47 PM EDT
Doesn't "fdisk /mbr" still work?
jdixon

Feb 03, 2009
4:18 PM EDT
> Doesn't "fdisk /mbr" still work?

If you have a boot disk or CD, yes.
mevhum

Feb 06, 2009
8:07 AM EDT
If you have not a boot disk or CD, download Hiren's BootCD 9.7; then open your pc from CD-ROM, select ---> Disk Partition Tools --> Smart FDISK 2.05 -->Boot Manager --> Repair MBR :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!