No way!!

Story: New way to save? Dial back to dial-upTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
jezuch

Mar 03, 2009
4:01 PM EDT
For me, going back to dialup would be going back to several times higher bills for several times slower/worse service. How could anyone call it "savings"? Or maybe it's a different dialup than the one I remember...
techiem2

Mar 03, 2009
4:05 PM EDT
Yeah...let's see...4 people in the house sharing a dialup connection.... Yeah, that sounds great to me!
azerthoth

Mar 03, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
on the plus side, if you run a source based distro, you still dont have to worry about those massive binary packages.
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
4:35 PM EDT
I've seen broadband offered for as little as $15 per month in the U.S when bundled with other services. How much can going back to dial up really save? How much is a person's time and productivity worth?

There is free broadband at the public library here. The problem is that the gas going back and forth would cost more than the monthly fee for internet service.
jdixon

Mar 03, 2009
5:14 PM EDT
> Yeah...let's see...4 people in the house sharing a dialup connection....

Two's doable, as long as all you're doing is web browsing. My wife and I did it for years until we could get DSL. I agree that four probably wouldn't work too well.

> I've seen broadband offered for as little as $15 per month in the U.S when bundled with other services.

That used to be Verizon's standard rate for their low speed DSL service. I believe they've upped that to $22 now.
techiem2

Mar 03, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
Yeah, we used to share dialup with 2 for a while and back then it wasn't TOO bad (except for things like...downloading linux ISOs....lol). Then we got DSL when it was all fresh and new (768k/128k wow!). Then we moved here to a nice @6Mb/384k cable line, which is fairly nice overall and works pretty well for 4 people (unless I'm doing something like, torrenting several Linux ISOs and eating up all the bandwidth).
ComputerBob

Mar 03, 2009
5:45 PM EDT
I used dial-up for many years, and created most of my entire web site over a dial-up connection.

Over the years, I spent many, many long nights waiting for hundreds of web pages to upload from my local PC to my site, but I couldn't afford $29.95/month or more for the cheapest broadband access.

Then, about 3 years ago, I switched to Verizon's cheapest DSL ($14.99/month, with a lifetime price-guarantee), which was only $5/month more than my dial-up connection, with 19x the download speed and nearly 3x the upload speed.

Plus I no longer need to pay $6/month for Verizon's voice-mail service, to keep callers from getting a busy signal when I'm online.

Where I am, Verizon's cheapest DSL service is still only $17.99/month, with a lifetime price guarantee.

So for me, dial-up was my only real option for many years, but it doesn't make any sense to even consider using it any more.
tuxtom

Mar 04, 2009
5:54 AM EDT
Quoting:4 people in the house sharing a connection
I am more concerned about 4 people in a house sharing a conversation...which, thanks to that connection, is tough to do anymore.
gus3

Mar 04, 2009
9:38 AM EDT
An IRC server on the LAN should fix that.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 04, 2009
1:19 PM EDT
The key with DSL for telco customers is that you don't have to tie up your phone line when you're connected to the network. Of course some people (myself included) don't mind not receiving phone calls, but for the most part, if you're really using the Internet a lot, you kind of need a dedicated phone line if you're doing any kind of business or have even a marginal social life (again ... wouldn't know) ...

So when you factor in the cost of a second phone line, the cheapest DSL offer from your telco makes a whole lot of sense.

That said, I'm well aware that many areas of the country have neither DSL nor cable broadband, and that makes dialup something that's not going away soon.

I hope to do a story at some point on United Online, which is HQ'd about a quarter-mile from our office. They don't rely on dialup for revenue (they have classmates.com and 1800flowers.com, too), but dialup is still part of their business (Juno, NetZero) ... and my ISP, DSL Extreme, still offers dialup. In fact, I started with them on dialup, and it was extremely reliable.

There's a great chapter in Carla's "Linux Networking Cookbook" on building a dialup server. (Yes, it's another MUST-HAVE book ...)
jdixon

Mar 04, 2009
3:18 PM EDT
> Verizon's cheapest DSL service is still only $17.99/month, with a lifetime price guarantee.

Of course, I'm forced to add that if you believe anything Verizon tells you, I've got some prime real estate in Florida for you. I doubt that "lifetime guarantee" is worth the paper it's printed on. Nonetheless, it is a good deal for as long as it lasts.

> So when you factor in the cost of a second phone line, the cheapest DSL offer from your telco makes a whole lot of sense.

Having done both, even the more expensive DSL offer usually works out to be a better deal.
NoDough

Mar 04, 2009
5:19 PM EDT
Dialup for $4.95/mo. http://all2easy.net

I used this up until about 2 years ago, when they finally upgraded switches in my area and offered DSL.
jdixon

Mar 04, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
> Dialup for $4.95/mo.

That's impressive, especially the free web space and newsgroup access. I notice they don't mention Linux, but that's pretty much a given. If backup dialup access wasn't included with our DSL, I might be interested.
tuxtom

Mar 06, 2009
4:50 AM EDT
http://www.freedialup.org

You can google up more of these.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!