so it's not about defending Linux' honor

Story: Tempers Flare as Recession Creeps into Tech IndustryTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2009
11:26 AM EDT
It's about preserving (what's left of) your hair!

:D
tuxtom

Mar 06, 2009
11:48 AM EDT
...for some of us all that's left is the honor.
jsusanka

Mar 06, 2009
12:37 PM EDT
So lets build a false economy on shoddy products. And we wonder what is wrong the economy? Enough said.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
> So lets build a false economy on shoddy products.

Detroit tried that.
caitlyn

Mar 06, 2009
3:54 PM EDT
I'm honestly not surprised.

Back in 2004/2005 I did some contract work for a company that has been in the news a lot lately. We, the U.S. taxpayers own about 80% of that company. You know who I mean.

Anyway, in one of the few bright moments for their management it was decided that the Financial Group (now closed, the one that caused all the problems in the first place) was going to move to Linux as much as possible in the server room, largely at the expense of Microsoft. One of the Windows guys, a bright guy who could have easily made the transition to Linux, swore he'd sooner quit that learn Linux.

People are threatened by change. Sure, Linux requires less long term technical support. OTOH, people are less familiar with it. Why not offer Linux classes? Advanced netbook classes? Whatever... you adjust your business model to match changing times and changing demand. It is, and always has been, about adapting and surviving. Wells Fargo was a stagecoach company originally. They are still around but they don't run stage lines anymore do they? OTOH, a lot of buggy whip manufacturers did go bust.

So... yeah, an idiot tech guy attacked Helios. If he wasn't such an idiot he'd develop a Linux skillset and adapt. He probably won't.

I'm glad Helios/Ken is OK.

I also, unlike the folks on the Ubuntu forum, don't doubt his story. I've had my own little dust up with Helios over his approach to Linux evangelism but I have never seen anything to indicate he is less than honest in any way. I don't think he had any reason to make this up. Why people always question the integrity of someone who has an experience outside their own is beyond me.
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2009
4:09 PM EDT
Quoting: People are threatened by change. Sure, Linux requires less long term technical support. OTOH, people are less familiar with it. Why not offer Linux classes? Advanced netbook classes? Whatever... you adjust your business model to match changing times and changing demand. It is, and always has been, about adapting and surviving

Indeed yes. And it's too bad that so many people have this blind spot, because I know from experience that it's a lot more fun to build something that works well and is easy to maintain. Then you can put your energy and your company's or client's resources into moving forward, and refining their IT infrastructure, and thinking of cool new things you can implement. Help them move ahead and get better, instead of being trapped on an endless babysitting treadmill,and never advancing beyond running from crisis to crisis. It's still a lot of billable hours, and a lot better results for everyone.
tracyanne

Mar 06, 2009
4:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I also, unlike the folks on the Ubuntu forum, don't doubt his story........................Why people always question the integrity of someone who has an experience outside their own is beyond me.

I personally can't make out the people on those Ubuntu forums. Those are the Forums I joined to help promote Felton. The only response I got from them was one that included deleting my posting about Felton and it's included request for Ubuntu users to take part. Later Ubuntu users who did take part claimed that they had never heard about Felton until a few days prior to the event, and only because someone went to one of their LUGs. They seem to live a little fantasy world all of their own.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!