Nice.
tracyanne

Mar 14, 2009
12:48 AM EDT
He's pulled the article.
machiner

Mar 14, 2009
10:43 AM EDT
All apologies. I just thought it was lame and too much like so many other lame articles. It was attempt to fit in, in a way, and I'm no good at fitting in. There are other far more meaningful "wow" events that any one of could write about. My first attempt made me feel like a shill in a way that I was attempting to illustrate something spectacular that was just boring and not very special.

It won't happen again.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
Style over substance? Nay, let it not be so.

http://gus3.typepad.com/i_am_therefore_i_think/2008/11/baby-...
tracyanne

Mar 14, 2009
4:46 PM EDT
@machiner it's the very ordinary and mundane that is the reality of using a computer. You little piece demonstrated, I thought, how much more easily Linux allows you to complete ordinary and mundane tasks. You could never have completed the task illustrated in your article as easily with anything but Linux. The exclamation about you only taking two minutes, and you say yes, but I did have to install some software, really does make the point. That's how good advertising works.

I don't care if you think you sound like a shill, the article made the point.
azerthoth

Mar 14, 2009
6:06 PM EDT
I liked the article, thats how I get the most interest. I pop open the laptop to do something really quick, make sure that someone is shoulder surfing and then start playing with the eye candy for a second. About 80% of the time they start a conversation within a minute or two.
hkwint

Mar 14, 2009
6:21 PM EDT
I really liked the article too. Basically because my own Linux-computer is about the most user-unfriendly one someone could encounter - even shutting it down can't be done by anyone not familiar with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and shutdown -h now, and also that should be done in Dvorak on a Qwerty-keyboard.

Not to start about my lack of a 'start/task-bar' and Icons on the desktop (no, don't have them). And not even considering file management, all of which I normally do using not much more than bash. That whole experience is kind of 'wow' to the avarage Windows user too. Until I fire up VMWare and WinXP, and after that MSN and install some Win-only pokerprogram (don't want to have the latter in wine if real money is involved; because what if it crashes?), and they're perfectly fine with it. The music playing on even 'beyond Windows' and switching back to Linux with only Ctrl+Alt however normally does impress them is my experience. The best 'Wow' experience I normally receive is if they have to reboot Windows, which only takes some 20 seconds in VMWare I guess.

And I wouldn't want to show how I install software to someone thinking Linux is hard; the gcc output and Gentoo warnings which config-files have to be changed / merged and which revdep-rebuild should be done would scare them I guess. Nonetheless, believe it or not, for me the above is the most convenient way to get things done. Also tried other distro's like Debian (liked Lenny though), Ubuntu, openSuse, Fedora, Slackware, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD, but still Gentoo works best for me. But explaining the average Windows-user why is really hard (it's even hard to explain to Linux-users).

So it's really good to hear people show Linux can be really simple. We should have a lot more of these stories in fact, showing (where) Linux is easier than Windows.
techiem2

Mar 14, 2009
6:58 PM EDT
lol hkwint. Yeah, having emerge processes running tends to get you funny looks. :)

I run fluxbox on my desktop but I use xfce with compiz on the laptop so I have some "wow" factor to show off.

I really liked the article as well.
ColonelPanik

Mar 14, 2009
9:12 PM EDT
Any time someone says wow or cool or even notices what you are doing with that Linux box it is a plus for GNU-Linux.

machiner is wicked good with Debian, ain't shy either. This little "moment" will stick in the minds of those who witnessed it. They will be our new ambassadors. And now I have to get a battery for the lappy!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!