I still don't get why we need virtualization

Story: Deployment Xen 3.4 (testing) with 2.6.30-rc5-tip kernel to Ubuntu 9.04 Server (64-bit)Total Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

May 19, 2009
9:07 PM EDT
If you're running a nice stout Linux/Unix box you can run multiple services, and at a lower hardware cost than virtualizing them. The only reason I can think of to virtualize is to try to put yet one more security wall around Windows servers, for whatever good it might do.
techiem2

May 19, 2009
9:41 PM EDT
I like the separation of the various servers in virtualization, such as different machine names and IPs, different service setups, etc. (i.e. how I do mine) Given, not everyone cares about that separation, in which case it's probably pointless for them, as you say.

Libervis

May 19, 2009
9:55 PM EDT
Without virtualization we wouldn't have those awesome VPS servers, which I myself use for my sites and it happens to be using Xen. You get complete separation of resources, no complications, like a real machine hosting your stuff.

And on the desktop it's a very cool way of trying out other Linux based OS's or other OS's, from Windows to various BSD's to Haiku OS (oh how I wish that project had more devs and funding behind it.....).

Virtualization rocks.
jdixon

May 19, 2009
10:18 PM EDT
As far as I can tell, the commercial virtualization systems are primarily intended for businesses running multiple Windows servers. As you well know, a Windows server can really only do one thing well, even if the hardware has enough power to support far more. And even the heaviest loaded server will often sit idle for much of the time. Therefore, creating multiple Windows servers on the same hardware allows you to minimize your hardware costs and optimize your computing power. It's nowhere near as useful for Linux, except for trying out new distros.
tuxchick

May 19, 2009
10:20 PM EDT
good points all. And for getting screenshots of installations and boot screens.
azerthoth

May 19, 2009
10:33 PM EDT
I use virtualization quite alot. When I'm doing a how-to lots of times I build up a VM to poke and prod at if it's something I dont use, such as when I wrote how to get get in and chroot into an LVM install.
Scott_Ruecker

May 19, 2009
11:17 PM EDT
Quoting:When I'm doing a how-to lots of times..

Feel free to submit them anytime you want, if you want too ;-) I can't pay you as of yet but you, and they will get all kinds of exposure as features.
Libervis

May 20, 2009
12:14 AM EDT
jdixon:

Quoting:It's nowhere near as useful for Linux, except for trying out new distros.

And VPS? The VPS market is a growing one. Cheap, yet you get full control (root access) and nice comfy isolation and I think most VPS's are actually virtualizing Linux based systems. So I would actually put VPS kind of use far above trying out new desktops in terms of usefulness.

I guess either you guys don't run servers or you all have whole dedicated collocated or home boxes as servers and never even considered virtual private servers...

Here are a couple of nice examples of what I'm talking about: Slicehost.com and Linode.com. I used both and they virtualize exclusively Linux.
gus3

May 20, 2009
12:25 AM EDT
Another opportunity provided by virtualization is to set up a high-availability cluster of virtual machines, on one physical system. Imagine an Oracle cluster of 3 virtual nodes, all running on one real device. One of the virtual nodes goes haywire, one of the other two virtual nodes takes over.

Having the third one gives you some breathing room to diagnose the problem; if the newly active node tanks as well, you may still have a few minutes. During that time, you might be able to start a new virtual node or two. Voila, high availability on one system.
azerthoth

May 20, 2009
12:26 AM EDT
I do kick them at you every so often Scott, just not all. Most of them are fairly distro specific.
Sander_Marechal

May 20, 2009
2:58 AM EDT
Quoting:Virtualization rocks.

+1

It's wonderful to be able to screw around and experiment in a VM without risks of clobbering your main workstation. It's also great for developers who need to deal with crazy thinks like "This bug appears in Ubuntu Broken Buffalo when I check foo option" but which doesn't cause problems on other distros.
jdixon

May 20, 2009
7:38 AM EDT
> I guess either you guys don't run servers...

Just home ones. I support Windows systems at work. :(
phsolide

May 20, 2009
9:14 AM EDT
And here I thought it was totally fallout from outsourcing contracts: you know, Giant Immoral Corp gets rid of all its system admins, in favor of, say, IBM Global Services. The contract gets written up in terms of number of rack mountable units, number of file server boxes, number of individual machine boxes.

So, Giant Immoral Corp, in order to lower its costs, ends up "stacking" applications and getting rid of individual servers. Never mind the costs in outages, lack of tuning information, etc etc. Most bespoke "business" software is absolute rubbish anyway. But wait, when "The Business" needs to whip on somebody, they whip on the IT department because of the rising outage rate. So, the IT department seizes on "virtualization" to put each cheesy bespoke system in its own "machine". When said cheesy bespoke app writhes and faints in coils, only the fake "machine" goes down, not the "business critical" CRM or BI system.
hkwint

May 21, 2009
2:48 PM EDT
To summarize: To the question

Quoting:I still don't get why we need virtualization

the answer would be: As a means to deal with imperfect / buggy software & to do fancy experiments. You happy TC?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!