I should add...

Story: Linux To Regain 50% Netbook Market ShareTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
3:08 PM EDT
I should add a tip of the hat to Hans Kwint. He is the one who effectively provided the link to the iUnika story. Thanks, Hans.
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
3:27 PM EDT
I should also say to tuxchick: Here's one for you to counter all the Preston Galla and Stan Beer and all the other "Linux is dead on the desktop" articles we've been bombarded with in the last two weeks. It's replete with links and facts to back up the links. Facts are not something the"Microsoft rules" camp is big on.
tuxchick

May 21, 2009
3:29 PM EDT
Duh. already snagged it.

;)
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
3:32 PM EDT
I knew I could count on you. Of course if you hadn't snagged the Taipei Times article first this one would never have happened :)
hkwint

May 22, 2009
5:39 AM EDT
Well, I was happy I could help. It's more than a day job to keep up with everything that's happening in FOSS-land, I know from experience.
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
7:30 PM EDT
Well... there now is an iUnika article up on LXer.com. I may post a different one with a very different (and rather negative) take on the machine. I don't agree with their analysis but it's good for people to read all sides and judge for themselves.

Anyway, the two articles about two new MIPS machines on LXer.com today sure do help make my point, don't they?
hkwint

May 24, 2009
10:47 AM EDT
You might have read the interview with some Android-developer saying companies started with Android only after it became open source, in Nov. 2008. He also tells the time to develop a new Android-device is about a year and a half. A quick calculations then leads to the conclusions Android netbooks might be coming Q1/2 2010. Yeah, plenty to happen in the near future.
jsusanka

May 24, 2009
11:09 AM EDT
"I don't know if the Linux resurgence will happen this year, next year, or the following year. I do know that I would like to have a system that weighs in at less than 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) and has more than eight hours of battery life per charge"

Yup count me in!

azerthoth

May 24, 2009
12:47 PM EDT
Battery life is an interesting issue, silicon batteries are showing a lot of promise and are already finding their way into some products. Just not any laptops that I have found yet, even though they are ideally suited for such an application. Double the operating time, and all you need is to replace the battery.
hkwint

May 25, 2009
4:57 PM EDT
Recently there have also been some advances in the structure of Lithium-cells, promising significant longer battery-times too. Apart from that, probably the PixelQi LCD displays - when widely available and living up to the promises - will save about 25% energy as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!