Children's book about DRM

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
jacog

Jun 25, 2009
2:23 PM EDT
A fable that teaches kids about the perils of DRM. :)

http://books.1889.ca/pig_and_the_box
theboomboomcars

Jun 25, 2009
4:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the link. It is a good story.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 25, 2009
4:27 PM EDT
I came across that book before, but thanks for the link anyway. I have forwarded a copy of the book to my mom who teaches 6-7 year olds in grammar school.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 25, 2009
5:26 PM EDT
So is DRM a technical issue or a political issue?
hkwint

Jun 25, 2009
6:16 PM EDT
Quoting:So is DRM a technical issue or a political issue?

You are careful in your comments these days it seems?
Bob_Robertson

Jun 25, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
> You are careful in your comments these days it seems?

Not careful enough, if today's deletia is any indication.
jdixon

Jun 25, 2009
9:01 PM EDT
> So is DRM a technical issue or a political issue?

Both, so I'd stay clear.

> Not careful enough, if today's deletia is any indication.

I missed something? Rats. I always miss the good stuff.
caitlyn

Jun 25, 2009
9:10 PM EDT
Quoting:Not careful enough, if today's deletia is any indication.

It might shock you to read this coming from me, but... You were NOT the culprit today, Bob.

Let's leave it there. I'd rather not rehash that mess.
caitlyn

Jun 25, 2009
9:11 PM EDT
Quoting:So is DRM a technical issue or a political issue?

Yes. :)

I think so long as the comments stay narrowly on topic nobody will have a problem with that.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 26, 2009
8:41 AM EDT
Technically speaking, private DRM is a wonderful thing.

It's a clear, unambiguous indicator of what products to avoid.
hkwint

Jun 26, 2009
8:44 AM EDT
Technically speaking, what do you mean by private DRM? Is there public DRM too?

Quoting:You were NOT the culprit today, Bob.

Hmm, we screwed up, didn't we?
Bob_Robertson

Jun 26, 2009
9:49 AM EDT
> what do you mean by private DRM?

DRM implemented by private companies, such as the original iTunes, the ZUNE, etc.

> Is there public DRM too?

Not yet, unless you count the RIAA's use of the courts.
gus3

Jun 30, 2009
7:40 AM EDT
Methinks the deletia count is about to increment.

EDIT: Yup. The [TOS violation removed] spam before this comment is gone.
azerthoth

Jun 30, 2009
10:42 AM EDT
stop agreeing with me gus ... your damaging my fragile self image of curmudgeon.

;)
tracyanne

Jun 30, 2009
4:45 PM EDT
The spam that for a fleeting moment in time had existed in the row between Bob Robertson's post and gus3's, has been removed. Now it appears that gus3 is talking about Bob's post.
damnedrm

Sep 24, 2009
1:59 AM EDT
Quoting:DRM implemented by private companies, such as the original iTunes, the ZUNE, etc.

But they do harms to customer's fair usage rights, a DRM removal software http://www.all-media-converter.com/media-converter.html#136 can help deal with it legally.
gus3

Sep 24, 2009
2:10 AM EDT
Wow, a spammer for non-Linux software on a Linux forum. What will they think of next?

I wonder if it runs in WINE?
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 07, 2009
9:47 PM EDT
Private DRM? Sounds like one of the meanings of the word 'proprietary' to me. The RIAA's use of the courts against private individuals, if mimicked by the Press, would be equal to being thrown in jail for knowing what's going on and not being in possession of a newspaper (and the sales receipt) or equivalent thereof. If you don't have proof that you bought that song, or got that information legally, then you must have stolen it..

Sorry for the venting, I very much despise what the RIAA has become and the precedent it has set in the courts.
caitlyn

Oct 08, 2009
1:03 AM EDT
I had forgotten about this thread. For a moment I thought about the concept of a children's book about Digital Radio Mondiale. What a great idea, getting our kids to listen to classical music and world news on digital shortwave...

Back to reality... and yes, Scott, I agree with you. I believe artists should receive royalties for their work. I don't approve of all the uploading without permission and all the music and movie blogs that have spring up to essentially steal content. There's got to be a better way to protect artists' rights than what the RIAA does. Of course, the RIAA is more about protecting major label profits than artists' livlihood anyway.

You cannot post until you login.