Is that a real boot?

Story: The Fastest Linux Boot Yet? 1 secondTotal Replies: 68
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jul 14, 2009
7:33 PM EDT
I wonder if that's a *real* boot. If I were a device manufacturer looking for fast instant-on, I would boot, suspend to disk and then copy that suspended image to ROM. Then, when you turn the device on you transfer the ROM contents to RAM and voilá, instant-on Linux.
tracyanne

Jul 14, 2009
7:56 PM EDT
I had a look at the video, it looks real enough, and the video also explains how they did it.
theboomboomcars

Jul 14, 2009
8:05 PM EDT
I am pretty sure that large inflatable boot down the street doesn't allow for a foot insertion, making it a fake boot and not a real one.

oops you were talking about a different boot.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 14, 2009
8:37 PM EDT
My Zaurus is instant-on, but then it runs entirely in flash ram. 8 years and still working every day.

Not a "real boot".
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
9:43 PM EDT
Yeah. Real boots are leather. Everyone knows that.
jacog

Jul 15, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
Das Boot on the other hand is a hundred foot long watertight metal craft that can fire torpedoes.
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2009
3:01 PM EDT
The boot on the Triumph Spitfire I had years ago provided a little much needed storage on a small car that had space for next to nothing. I still loved that little car.
azerthoth

Jul 15, 2009
4:19 PM EDT
Thats what I liked about my TR-6, the luggage rack on the trunk so you could just tie the kids in place. I still think about getting one again ... then I remember the parts costs.
tracyanne

Jul 15, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
So this is what it degenerates to when the boot is on the other foot.

Next We'll see Sander Boot Scootin, and who'll be given the boot I wonder. So be careful, these boots are made for walking, and they're gonna walk all over you.

techiem2

Jul 15, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
And then we'll have to pull ourselves back up by our own bootstraps.
tracyanne

Jul 15, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
Bootstraps, why when I was growing up we lived in a boot on the side of the road, it had no straps.
azerthoth

Jul 15, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
Dad had the strap for when the boot didn't work.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 15, 2009
6:19 PM EDT
Personally, I'm waiting for the other boot to drop.
gus3

Jul 15, 2009
6:30 PM EDT
It's aboot time to kill this thread...
Bob_Robertson

Jul 15, 2009
8:26 PM EDT
> It's aboot time to kill this thread...

Ok, seriously, I don't see a TOS violation here anywhere.

Bootlicking, sure, but that's not against the TOS.
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2009
8:31 PM EDT
~o Ohh, what a bootiful MORRRning, Oh what a bootiful daayyyy.......
gus3

Jul 15, 2009
8:56 PM EDT
{TOS violation self-deleted}
NoDough

Jul 16, 2009
12:00 PM EDT
>> Ok, seriously, I don't see a TOS violation here anywhere.

Don't worry, the jack-boot comments are coming.
hkwint

Aug 02, 2009
1:13 PM EDT
Sander: Yes, this is real boot, if not at least it's possible. You can reproduce the results for yourself if you have a blackfin board.

Check this: https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=fast_boot_exam...

Jacog:
Quoting:Das Boot on the other hand is a hundred foot long watertight metal craft that can fire torpedoes.

"Das U-boot" is the real name of the bootloader used to reach Linux 1 sec. boot times (GRUB probably takes more than a sec on its own so it's useless).
caitlyn

Aug 03, 2009
11:51 AM EDT
I thought this thread had been booted until Hans resurrected it.
jdixon

Aug 03, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
> ...until Hans resurrected it.

He didn't ressurect it, he rebooted it. :)
tuxchick

Aug 03, 2009
12:10 PM EDT
aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh

Bless my sole, can't you all just once toe the line?
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
12:08 PM EDT
These boots were made for walking. They keep going like the Energizer Bunny, on and on, like this thread...
gus3

Aug 05, 2009
12:53 PM EDT
Blame the spammer "clothingonsale".
Bob_Robertson

Aug 05, 2009
9:52 PM EDT
I thought that was "DOS Boot", the story of the IBM PC?

Or was that a random mental association of the original PC with boat anchors?
jacog

Aug 06, 2009
8:12 AM EDT
I have an old PC tower case at home that's big and heavy enough to function as a boat anchor. Sorry, am I still on topic? What's the topic?
tracyanne

Aug 06, 2009
8:18 AM EDT
I'm sitting here listening to George Benson.
theboomboomcars

Aug 06, 2009
9:11 AM EDT
jacog, I think you are as close as anybody.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 06, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
RE: "D[OoAa] Boot"

Remember the last scene where they are bombed and that Das Boot meets its anchor?

YBT

PS What's this nonsense about sticking to a topic?
caitlyn

Aug 06, 2009
1:12 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm sitting here listening to George Benson.

My condolences.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 06, 2009
3:41 PM EDT
Quoting:PS What's this nonsense about sticking to a topic?

Well, if you don't then I'm going to have to boot you off this thread...
gus3

Aug 06, 2009
3:45 PM EDT
The motto of Microsoft Windows:

"Boot early, boot often."
Sander_Marechal

Aug 06, 2009
3:49 PM EDT
I thought it was "boot early, boot virus"...
gus3

Aug 06, 2009
4:11 PM EDT
Same thing.
jdixon

Aug 06, 2009
4:14 PM EDT
> The motto of Microsoft Windows:

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time you have to reboot Windows... Oh, wait a minute, he does.
tracyanne

Aug 06, 2009
4:59 PM EDT
caitlyn, obviously you have no interest in his guitar technique.
caitlyn

Aug 06, 2009
5:25 PM EDT
@tracyanne: I just find his music boring is all. I said it in a way meant to be somewhat humorous.

tracyanne

Aug 06, 2009
5:27 PM EDT
It's ok caitlyn, really I'm not in the least uPSET by this, NO really, I"M QuITe CAlm about it.
caitlyn

Aug 06, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
Most people don't like a lot of the music I listen to. You get used to it. Trust me on this.
gus3

Aug 06, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

Does your list look anything like Rachmaninoff, Simon & Garfunkel, Rammstein, Fila Brasileira?
caitlyn

Aug 06, 2009
5:58 PM EDT
I think my list is even more eclectic than yours. Rammstien I can take in limited doses. The rest of your list looks pretty good. None are favorites of mine but all are things I can listen to. I do have at least one recording of Rachmaninoff in my collection.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 07, 2009
3:19 AM EDT
Rammstein? Are you fellow metalheads?
gus3

Aug 07, 2009
7:51 AM EDT
Only if it has an industrial bent.
jacog

Aug 07, 2009
9:26 AM EDT
Sie ist ein model und sie floats her boat.
caitlyn

Aug 07, 2009
9:54 PM EDT
Actually its my housemate who like Rammstein. I can tolerate it.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 08, 2009
10:19 AM EDT
I like them. But I prefer the old school metal and rock like Iron Maiden, Rose Tatoo, KISS, Judas Priest (the Rob era, not the Ripper Owens years), AC/DC, etcetera.
caitlyn

Aug 08, 2009
1:43 PM EDT
@Sander: I am definitely not into metal and either don't care for or active dislike all the bands you mentioned. My housemate, OTOH, does like some of those bands.

My taste in rock tends towards '70s progressive and krautrock. On newer stuff it tends to be, umm... much softer than anything you've listed. I also get into some folk and Celtic music, a lot of electronic/ambient/new acoustic music, some classical (especially baroque), some world music, and a fair amount of jazz.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2009
2:18 PM EDT
Sander, Add in Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd and serious dose of Van Halen and you have most of the rock bands I grew up listening too. I can't wait to listen to some music with you someday. :-)

Now to redeem myself with Caitlyn (jk) I must say that even though I don't listen to Celtic stuff I do listen to a ton or ambient/electronica, blues, Miles Davis, and old funk and R-n-B. I get really good ideas for drumbeats from them.

Oh, and in response to all the banter from all those involved in this thread in general..

"Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver."

;-)
softwarejanitor

Aug 08, 2009
3:09 PM EDT
@Sander_Marechal I am an old school metal head also...
caitlyn

Aug 08, 2009
3:22 PM EDT
Quoting: Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis

Now you guys are speaking my language. All of the above, especially Pink Floyd, who are a real favorite of mine.

Among progressive rock artists I'd add Jethro Tull (before I learned what Ian Anderson's view are and what a jerk he is), Genesis up to 1975 with Peter Gabriel, Renaissance, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Camel, Yes, Fleetwood Mac (especially the Bob Welsh/Christine McVie albums circa 1970-74), PFM, Gentle Giant, Kate Bush,Triumvirat, Far East Family Band and Nektar would probably rank among my favorites.

tracyanne

Aug 09, 2009
7:58 AM EDT
Quoting:I'd add Jethro Tull (before I learned what Ian Anderson's view are and what a jerk he is)

In what way does that change the quality of Jethro Tull's music or even Ian Anderson's Musicianship? I've never been able to work out how someone turning out to be a jerk suddenly makes their acting ability or singing/musicianship of lower quality.
gus3

Aug 09, 2009
8:49 AM EDT
When the quality of one's work is overshadowed by one's personal views/behavior. One incident killed Arthur Godfrey's career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Godfrey#The_LaRosa_incid...

I know people who, to this day, refuse to watch Robin Williams, because he refuses to denounce publicly his past drug use.

The length of the list is constrained only by the finity of the world's population.
caitlyn

Aug 09, 2009
12:12 PM EDT
@tracyanne: I think gus has said it well enough. Based on what little I seen of your views would the fact that Anderson is seriously homophobic bother you?
hkwint

Aug 09, 2009
12:45 PM EDT
I'm sorry for almost bringing a completely fine off-topic thread back on topic, but glad you guys / dames fixed it.

There are only three songs from Rammstein I like listening too, those with the nice melodies. Please note the melody from "Mutter" is taken from "The Unforgiven" by Metallica, one of the best rock songs in my opinion. What is it with these bands, after a few albums they always start to do more 'melodic' stuff (Type O Negative did, Guns 'N Roses did - and probably more).

Anyway, I find myself listening to some French / German classics as of lately. You know, those not yet deleted from Youtube. The melody of "Joe le taxi" has been in my head for almost two years without me knowing which song it actually was - and now I finally found out what the title of the song was. Also, after we tried to sing 'Le Lac du Connemara' at the square close to where Sander lives (hope he didn't hear me singing, ahum) I like that one also.

However, I also like listening to old-school rock bands such as The Who, Dire Straits and some of the like. But most of the time I listen to the radio nowadays, always the same '80 / '90 songs. A bit tiring after a full week though.
tuxchick

Aug 09, 2009
2:23 PM EDT
I don't worry too much about the personal views of musicians when their music does the talking for them. A lot of rock is blatantly homophobic and very nasty towards women. It's like the olden days when the morality police were all excited over Sekkrit Devil Messages when you played albums backwards. Silly wabbits, there were plenty of devil messages when they were played frontwards.

Then Pat Boone made a metal album and life as we know it was forever befuddled.
jezuch

Aug 09, 2009
3:06 PM EDT
Any fellow math- and post-metal fans here? Metalcore, maybe?

/me prepares for confused silence in response
tracyanne

Aug 09, 2009
5:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Based on what little I seen of your views would the fact that Anderson is seriously homophobic bother you?

Actually I don't give a rats. I liked his music before I knew that, I still like his music. On the other hand would I buy him a beer, no I don't think I would, but I've never been one for identifying with the artist through their work, and looking up to them. To me they are just another person doing the job they are best at, like me. So I never feel let down when it turns out they have feet of clay, or in this blokes case, serious personality problems.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 09, 2009
6:44 PM EDT
Quoting:Now to redeem myself with Caitlyn

Hehe, good point :-) I should probably add that aside from heavy metal I also love classical music. I even play the clarinet for nearly 20 years now. Preferably classic, jazz or blues (though I'm not good at improvisation).
gus3

Aug 09, 2009
11:12 PM EDT
Q: What instrument do I play?

A: My stereo.
gus3

Aug 10, 2009
1:19 AM EDT
Now that this thread is totally derailed, I'm going to put on my asbestos underpants.

Quoting:I've never been able to work out how someone turning out to be a jerk suddenly makes their acting ability or singing/musicianship of lower quality.
Or their programming.

Richard Stallman.

Discuss.
caitlyn

Aug 10, 2009
2:27 AM EDT
For me the problem with Ian Anderson was that I didn't know his views and went with a friend to an event called "Rubbing Elbows With Ian Anderson". It was effectively the tour for the album "Rupi's Dance". The music was excellent but Mr. Anderson also talked. He talked a lot. He had a local DJ to talk with. He made a real a** of himself. A friend who went with me was really upset by him and it generally ruined things for me. I just can't listen to his music the way I once could.

Playing instruments? I'm a flautist. I used to play flutes and whistles in an Irish folk band. No, not any you have ever heard of. I'm not that good or that lucky.

You want to know the irony of all this? It was Ian Anderson who inspired me to take up the flute when I was young.

gus3: You make an excellent point vis a vis RMS. I don't use emacs because I prefer vi, probably because that's what I learned when I first learned UNIX. It has nothing at all to do with RMS views.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 10, 2009
7:06 AM EDT
> ...refuse to watch Robin Williams, because he refuses to denounce publicly his past drug use.

That applies just as well to the last three US presidents.

But seriously, who did Williams hurt? Denounce what, apologize to whom?

I'm right with you there, Caitlyn, my flute's on a shelf at my right hand right now, for much the same reasons. I'm further convinced that, save for some abhorantly anti-social attitudes you have (since of course I'm a paragon of virtue) we'd get along just fine.

Ambient, "house", uck. Endless repetition, the new Partridge Family, but without words to at least break up the monotony.

There used to be a radio station within listening range that played all those 70s rock shows, "Reeling In The Years", "The Beatle Years", "Flashback" and such. Sunday morning was a pleasure to be out in the garage sawing away to good music. But oh well, they went Country and I had to reprogram my car stereo.

It's been decades since I lived somewhere that had "Thistle & Shamrock" anywhere on the dial...
tuxchick

Aug 10, 2009
9:39 AM EDT
Dial?
gus3

Aug 10, 2009
10:11 AM EDT
I still hear both radio and TV announcers saying, "Dooooon't touch that dial! We'll be right back after some announcements from our corporate masters!"
caitlyn

Aug 10, 2009
1:29 PM EDT
WUNC 91.5 (or 90.9 if you get better reception from the Rocky Mount station) runs "Thistle & Shamrock". I forget whether it's on Saturday or Sunday afternoons but I've caught it in the car several times.
caitlyn

Aug 10, 2009
1:35 PM EDT
Oh, and playing the flute hasn't been ruined for me. Just listening to Ian Anderson's music. Yes, he's still incredibly talented and, as ta points out, his musicianship hasn't diminished. My ability to enjoy his music is what has diminished.
gus3

Aug 10, 2009
2:13 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't use emacs because I prefer vi,
I use vi,for reasons explained by the following:

A student asked the master, "Does EMACS have the Buddha nature?"

The master pondered this for a while, then replied, "I don't know why not. It has bloody well everything else."
jdixon

Aug 10, 2009
2:14 PM EDT
Hmm, music tastes are apparently infinite and seldom duplicated to any great degree. Most of the music I like is fairly mainstream, simply because before the Internet it was hard to find anything else in the wilds of West Virginia. :)

Let's see, I have a couple of CD's of collected MP3's here, what's on them:

Mostly individual songs by Alan Jackson, Chicago, Deborah Allen, Gladys Knight, Jeff Haley Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Randy Travis, Ricky Van Shelton, Scorpions, Skeeter Davis, Chi-Lites, Van Halen, and Warren Zevon on the one, along with a currently unsorted collection of various Country Hits.

The second has mostly individual songs by Alabama, Alannah Myles, Alice in Chains, Billy Walker, Black Crowes, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bob Wills, Bobby Bear, Bonnie Raitt. Bonnie Tyler, Bruce Springsteen, CCR, Chad Mitchell Trio, Charlie Daniels Band, C.W. McCall, David Allen Coe, David Bowie, Deep Purple, Elvis Presley, Freddie Fender, Frizzel and West, Gene Watson, Gordon Lightfoot, Hank Williams, Iron Butterfly, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Joe Cocker, John Lennon, Johhny Cash, Johnny Lee, Johnny Paycheck, Johnathon Edwards, Joni Mitchell, Kenny Rodgers, Kim Carnes, KIng Crimson, Kyu Sakamoto, Lacy Dalton, Led Zepplin, Leonard Cohen, Lorne Greene, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mac Davis, Manfred Mann, Mark Chesnutt, Marshall Tucker Band, Marty Robbins, Melissa Ethridge, Merle Haggard, Merrile Rush, Mike and the Mechanics, Neil Young, Night Ranger, Oakridge Boys, Oasis, Paper Lace, Patti Smith, Ray Charles, Righteous Brothers, Sammi Smith, Savoy Brown, Scott McKensie, Sniff and the Tears, Steely Dan, Stonebolt, Ted Nugent, The Judds, Traffic, U2, Uriah Heap, Van Morrison, and Walyon Jennings.

There's also songs from CardCaptor Sakura, Dragonball Z, Dirty Pair, and Cowboy Bebop.

That doesn't include any Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, or dozens of others I listen to but haven't had time to convert from vinyl/tape to digital.

These songs were mostly chosen because they were either favorites of mine, or because I thought my wife might be willing to tolerate them being played when we were traveling,
gus3

Aug 10, 2009
3:24 PM EDT
I picked up a tape deck for a couple dollars last week. Finally, I can transfer my tapes to Ogg Vorbis.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!