Sexist tripe

Story: Please Your Wife With Phoronix, ReallyTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
11:07 PM EDT
Why do they assume that it's a man who would visit the Phoronix forums and spend time? Look at the forums here. tuxchick, tracyanne, oh, and yeah, sometimes me. It's sexist tripe.

They try to undo the assumption made at first in the piece that the little wife does the cooking with "If your wife isn't into cooking..." after repeating the stereotype.

Gee... this is an ad for the cooking site that is supposed to appeal to women? Great job, guys.... NOT!
tracyanne

Jul 14, 2009
11:49 PM EDT
Well caitlyn it takes a lot make me feel insulted, but this Richard Cranium, Michael Larabel, did it for me. The blokes a waste of space, as is his writing.
gus3

Jul 15, 2009
12:10 AM EDT
Sorry, but that can't hold a candle to Richard Stallman's misogyny:

http://opensourcetogo.blogspot.com/2009/07/emailing-richard-...

I was actually kind of surprised not to see this in LXer's news feed, especially after seeing the "When Zeal Becomes Zealotry: A Tawdry Tale" posting (going to the same weblog).
beirwin

Jul 15, 2009
12:12 AM EDT
I took one last squint to see if there was any other news item I wanted to post to my Linux news highlights feed, and what did I see? - this riveting read - NOT. Do not assume "the wifey" loves cooking and doesn't read Phoronix. Nice way to alienate your readers. Come on, Michael, you should know better.

Barbara

P.S. Late news flash - he's changed the title, but not the "wifey" content. Still lame.
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2009
12:35 AM EDT
Meh on that whole blog, gus3, he makes much out of little.

Michael, Michael, Michael, do please join us in the 21st century!
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2009
2:06 AM EDT
Stallman is old news. It's kind of like saying ESR is misogynistic. It's been done 100 times with no noticable impact. Larabel doesn't usually do this on Phoronix which makes it especially sad to see.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 15, 2009
2:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Meh on that whole blog, gus3, he makes much out of little.

I agree. Blown way out of proportions.
tuxtom

Jul 15, 2009
4:29 AM EDT
A woman's place is in Q/A.

(There...that outa keep this thread rolling for a week or two)
Sander_Marechal

Jul 15, 2009
4:45 AM EDT
@tuxtom: Are you implying men can't do Q/A because we're all slobs?

(just to turn the argument on it's head ;-)
nikkels

Jul 15, 2009
4:58 AM EDT
not all, but......

just to spice it up
KernelShepard

Jul 15, 2009
6:02 AM EDT
A bunch of the GNOME & Ubuntu (and at least 1 KDE) devs seem to agree that Stallman's talk was sexist. I wasn't there so I don't feel comfortable commenting myself. Tuxchick seems to be the first woman to say "blown out of proportion" (although I have to agree that when I read the article my first impression was also "blown out of proportion"). When I saw comments and blogs by women expressing they felt it was sexist and thanking Mr. Schlesinger for saying something, I figured "maybe I'm just an insensitive clod".

In the end, I don't know.
tracyanne

Jul 15, 2009
7:52 AM EDT
Obviously I didn't see Stallman's presentation, but I thought it was well known the St IGNUous and the Church of EMACS was a parody, which to my mind makes any complaints about Stallmans latest presentation more revealing of the mindset of the commentator, and what it reveals seems to me less than complimentary.

On the other Michael Larabel's article seems to be written from a set of assumptions about gender roles that are straight out of the 1950s.
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2009
9:31 AM EDT
I didn't say that RMS' talk wasn't sexist, I said the blog makes much of little. I have no idea from the blog if RMS said anything sexist. The blog author goes on and on for many words without actually saying anything, like one of those little yapping anklebiter dogs.
KernelShepard

Jul 15, 2009
9:35 AM EDT
tuxchick: Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant. My mistake.
dinotrac

Jul 15, 2009
12:01 PM EDT
I am incensed at the sexist assumption that I'm not the one who would be interested in kitchen gadgets. As somebody who spends way too much time unemployed, I do most of the cooking around my house.
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2009
12:21 PM EDT
Cooking is very geeky. You have endless piles of gadgets to accumulate, endless debates over which is the best cookware, endless debates over the best knives and the best ways to sharpen them, chemistry, agriculture, precision measurements vs. "to taste." Never a dull moment, creative, and always fun.
dinotrac

Jul 15, 2009
12:36 PM EDT
tc -

And you get to eat the results. Don't forget that!
techiem2

Jul 15, 2009
12:36 PM EDT
Yes! Like this! http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/bfb9/
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2009
12:41 PM EDT
$39.99 for a ROCK?? LOL!

Though it is strangely appealing...where is credit card....
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2009
2:59 PM EDT
Quoting:Made for grinding like a pestle, grating garlic or ginger, or knife-sharpening

It slices and it dices, just like a gadget in a Billy Mays infomercial, with no moving parts to break. Makes sense to me :)

I'm another geek who enjoys cooking a lot. If I ever decided to change careers I'd probably go to culinary school.

Anyway... I agree with tc that the blog which first complained about the Stallman presentation went on and on needlessly instead of just making a point. The comments, though, are very telling, with the usual percentage of men telling women to just take it or trying to justify the idea that women are inherently less technically inclined. There is still a huge amount of sexism in the Linux and wider IT community. Every time I think we are making real progress something like this brings me back to reality.

There is no doubt that the Phoronix piece (or in this case Moronix) was definitely more in your face sexism.
jezuch

Jul 16, 2009
2:01 AM EDT
Maybe someone should show this to Stallman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-m6JDYRFvk [I found it linked from at least two places just yesterday]
Sander_Marechal

Jul 16, 2009
3:02 AM EDT
Hahaha, great video jezuch!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!