What?

Story: Big-Name Distro DisenchantmentTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
hughesjr

Aug 14, 2009
3:55 PM EDT
Fedora is still very much run by volunteers. And Ubuntu too.

When even the most basic facts are wrong, the rest is not even worth looking at.
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
5:15 PM EDT
Yeah, there's a lot wrong with the article. Even if we accept the idea that their corporate roots strongly influence Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu, it's not like the only choices are corporate distros or one man hobby distros. My three desktop favorites at the moment are none of the above.

VectorLinux has a team of volunteer devs. There is some income and I assume it goes to a few core people but mostly it's a group of volunteers, not a one-man show.

Pardus is mainly produced in academia with funding from the Turkish government. As such it is well funded but not corporate.

Wolvix is produced by three developers AFAIK, with a stated goal of recruiting more. Think VectorLinux in miniature with no discernible source of income. That makes it a hobbyist project.

I would also point out that neither Wolvix nor Vector would be suitable for a business desktop because of their lack of corporate or institutional backing which can, in turn, provide and fulfill support contracts. There are advantages, even for home users, in knowing that a project has backing.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 14, 2009
7:19 PM EDT
Wolvix is just too good -- it's one of my very favorites and solves 90 percent of the issues I have with plain Slackware. But the lack of a bigger organization does dampen my enthusiasm for it ...

... I just read the article that sparked this thread. Again, there's no there there. The guy seems to slam Fedora, Ubuntu and Mandriva, then says how great they are for reducing boot times, then slams them for not automatically playing MP3s, then says some 'one-man' downstream distros that play everything are better on the desktop but then declines to name even one.

If I were a fisherman, I'd throw that one back in the water until it got bigger ...

bigg

Aug 14, 2009
8:32 PM EDT
Among other things, he should realize that the Broadcom drivers cannot legally be included with the distro.
azerthoth

Aug 14, 2009
8:38 PM EDT
Quoting:Among other things, he should realize that the Broadcom drivers cannot legally be included with the distro.
... in many but not all countries. Sadly the US is one of those where most broadcom drivers cant be.

*note* broadcom was forced to release a few of their drivers a few years ago.

*edit* http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php... */edit*
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
9:21 PM EDT
@bigg, azerthoth: This article is just one of those which proves that you don't have to know much of anything about a subject to write about it. Sad, really.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2009
2:27 PM EDT
I wouldn't be upset about Broadcom, since it's easy enough to throw their chips away. But, and it's a big but, the last laptop with a Broadcom card that I had to work with was crippled so that only that card would be recognized by the laptop's BIOS.

Put an Atheros-based card in, and poof! No wifi card. "lspci" just skips that slot.

Chalk up another lesson in "don't buy unless they let me boot Knoppix first".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!