but they won't.

Story: Should the Gates Foundation Support Linux and Apple Computers in Public Libraries?Total Replies: 29
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 02, 2009
11:34 PM EDT
Part of the reason for Bill Gates "leaving" Microsoft, was to use the the Gates Foundation to gain better access to governments in a way that ise not possible for Microsoft, and promote Microsoft to those organisations.
jdixon

Sep 02, 2009
11:41 PM EDT
> ...but they won't.

And since it's their money, they don't have to. When and if some pro-FOSS folks can set up an equivalent organization, they can do the same thing in reverse. Do I like the uses they're putting their money to? No. But there's no way I'd want to deny them the right to do so.
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
12:30 AM EDT
There may be some rules governing non-profits about this sort of behavior, but just like their blatant control of OEMs and retailers, the relevant regulatory agencies are looking the other way.
jdixon

Sep 03, 2009
6:37 AM EDT
>...just like their blatant control of OEMs and retailers,

More importantly, just like with the OEMs adn retailers, there is no paper trail. Any agreements reached will never see the light of day.
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
jdixon, there is a paper trail somewheres-- it will take someone with subpoena powers to uncover it.
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
9:45 AM EDT
Health care. Global Warming. Poverty. War. Drumstick ice cream cones aren't what they used to be. Jay Leno before Conan and something's changed? Ginger. Maryanne. Octomom. And all those health care workers, environmental warriors, war warriors, ice cream makers, Gilliganders and loonytoon can run Linux.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2009
10:04 AM EDT
Darmit, Dino, what'cha go and do mentioning the unmentionable again?

Dis thread gonna be deleted too!

Oh, wait, we can actually talk about government corruption in COMPUTER subjects? OhTay!
jacog

Sep 03, 2009
10:24 AM EDT
Quoting:jdixon, there is a paper trail somewheres-- it will take someone with subpoena powers to uncover it.

Dang, I must be going blind or crazy, I read that as "it will take someone with superpowers to uncover it"
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
10:44 AM EDT
Bob --

No, we can talk about government corruption when it implicates, aids, and abets giant corporations. After all, they all use computers and probably have free software running somewhere. Probably displaying Kumbaya lyrics for the company singalongs.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2009
11:05 AM EDT
But not {censored} and {censored} Inc, since they're involved in {censored}, and as we found out last night just bringing up the subject of {censored} will get one censored.

I'm certain that the Gates Foundation and ANYTHING they get their claws into is fair game, though. Everyone agrees Gates bashing is On Topic.

The weather has been wonderful the last couple of days, such a wonderful change from the wondrous heat and humidity of normal summer.

> "it will take someone with superpowers to uncover it"

No doubt. The truth will never be known, even as the events themselves vanish into obscurity.
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
12:57 PM EDT
Bob, you're still fighting the TOS! Learn to live with it. The moderators don't want this to be a political debate site. I'm 100% with them on that.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2009
1:07 PM EDT
> Bob, you're still fighting the TOS! Learn to live with it.

If the threads where that is exactly the result didn't get deleted, I would be able to point you to where I do live with it.

> The moderators don't want this to be a political debate site. I'm 100% with them on that.

Of course you're with them. As soon as you decide you don't like the discussion, it gets removed. You get to have your rant, declare everyone else's posts political and off-topic, and then away it goes into the bit bucket.

Ah, that felt good. Now, back to the weather or the Gates Foundation?
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
1:10 PM EDT
You go, Bob.

The thought police can kill the outer expression, but they can't kill the freedom to think it no matter how hard they try!
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
2:06 PM EDT
Bob, that's B.S. I'm not a moderator and I don't decide what stays and what goes. Your "poor persecuted little me" act is wearing very, very thin. The last thread wasn't political at all until some decided to change it into a debate on a hot-button political issue and that is what you are defending. Go to a political site if you want that. Let LXer.com be about Linux.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2009
2:27 PM EDT
> The last thread wasn't political at all until some decided to change it into a debate on a hot-button political issue and that is what you are defending.

Yes, you could have said, "Gosh, Herz, could you edit that to 'gave my opinion on' rather than actually stating the opinion you gave? It works just as well and doesn't violate the TOS."

No. You went ballistic on the position he took on the subject he said he brought up in another forum, pointing out how people there had jumped down his throat, just because you don't agree with the position he took on that subject.

Yes, Herz brought it up as an illustration. Maybe he even meant it as bait, but that doesn't really matter. You took it and ran with it and made the thread about that subject, rather than the human tendency towards intolerance which you began that thread to discuss. Personally, I think it was a WONDERFUL example of exactly what you tried to say right off the bat.

The Gates Foundation isn't going to do anything deliberately to undermine Microsoft's dominance, but at least it's Gates' own money. I could only hope that all the payments are made in the light of day, not that I expect it to be so.

Heck, I can't even say what all the Robertson Foundation would spend billions promoting.
moopst

Sep 03, 2009
2:35 PM EDT
There was a case a while ago that MicroSoft _LOST_ in which the judge imposed that M$ had to donate something like 100 million dollars worth of their software to schools. I was flabbergasted and posted that they could be sued for dumping if it weren't court ordered.
azerthoth

Sep 03, 2009
2:36 PM EDT
/me grabs hearing protection and passes tin foil all around.

Here we go again folks.
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
Caitlyn --

I guess, then, that this article will have to be pulled. It's about the Gates foundation, not about Linux, even with the mentions of alternative OSes. And, it, like most things in life (except, I suppose, to you) is just rife with politics.
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
Sigh. Still playing dumb and playing the victim. What's on-topic and not a TOS violation are easy to understand. Give it a rest already. Pushing these threads to the point that the editors have to moderate is childish, and lately they've had to do it several times.

As has been mentioned before, non-profits have to follow certain rules to maintain their non-profit status. It's not just Bill Gates' money anymore because the Foundation is tax-exempt. He can do whatever he wants with his after-tax income, which does not apply to the Foundation. Any non-profit that behaves as a branch of a for-profit company is supposed to be penalized, and possibly lose their exempt status. So yes, if the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a genuine independent non-profit they can't dictate to their beneficiaries to use Microsoft-ware, and should be supporting various technologies.
caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
3:06 PM EDT
Bob, my "going ballistic" was one line. You post endless diatribes.

I have absolute proof that I have no control and little influence over the moderators: you haven't been banned. That's what I would do since all you ever do is pick fights and start arguments and, as tuxchick points out, endlessly play the victim because you don't get everything your way. Enough already!
azerthoth

Sep 03, 2009
3:16 PM EDT
Getting that post pulled wasn't enough for the two of you, as I recall there was a small list of parties that were part of it, and the both of you are equally culpable. It's not about anyone being the victim or the saint here, this is more about 2 people who refuse to stop playing in the mud.

caitlyn

Sep 03, 2009
5:35 PM EDT
I wish you could go back an look at that thread. I had three lines total, and except for the first none were political. Time for a reality check, methinks.
tracyanne

Sep 03, 2009
5:41 PM EDT
Quoting:But not {censored} and {censored} Inc, since they're involved in {censored}, and as we found out last night just bringing up the subject of {censored} will get one censored.

Just a suggestion Bob, if you are that worried about being censored. Don't bring up subjects in a way that is guaranteed to get you censored. Otherwise live with it, and stop complaining about being censored.
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2009
9:11 PM EDT
TC -

Some of us aren't playing.
tracyanne

Sep 04, 2009
4:03 AM EDT
Quoting:So yes, if the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a genuine independent non-profit they can't dictate to their beneficiaries to use Microsoft-ware, and should be supporting various technologies.

They can't dictate, but that leaves a lot of weasel room, the word suggest is one that comes to mind, recommend is another. And it doesn't have to be a direct plug for windows or even Microsoft applications, merely for one or more applications that don't work on anything but Windows.
bigg

Sep 04, 2009
7:28 AM EDT
> Don't bring up subjects in a way that is guaranteed to get you censored.

But where else on the internet could you possibly talk about politics? I've been looking for months and haven't managed to find a single website that discusses politics. It's just not practical to limit FOSS sites to the discussion of FOSS-related topics.*

* All three sentences are sarcasm.
montezuma

Sep 04, 2009
8:29 AM EDT
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/redroom http://politicalwire.com/

Plenty of scope for venting on those sites. Plenty of flame throwers there as well....LOL

(bigg -- I fully understand you are being sarcastic)
Bob_Robertson

Sep 05, 2009
2:24 PM EDT
> Pushing these threads to the point that the editors have to moderate is childish, and lately they've had to do it several times.

First, it's been many months. Your time sense has been messed with if you think anything has been deleted "recently" save the one on Thursday.

And, like Caitlyn, I would love to be able to go back to that thread and point out that I said nothing what so ever on the off-topic subject that came up in that thread. Not a whisper. Everything I wrote was pointing out the relevance of the various over-reactions to the point Caitlyn made in the opening post of the thread itself.

It is rather hard not to "act the victim" when I still get pounded on when I wrote nothing off-topic.

Sad, don't you think, that so much of our lives has become politicized that it is nearly impossible to discuss anything without there being a "political" aspect?

> if the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a genuine independent non-profit they can't dictate to their beneficiaries to use Microsoft-ware

Daddy Gates, so I guess that would be B.G.2, is a lawyer who specialized in trusts and other tax avoidance schemes. I'm more than certain that the Foundation has been set up with as much wiggle room as legally possible.

If for no other reason than to have something to DO! By Cromm, how boring must it be to have all the money one can spend.

Bob_Robertson

Sep 05, 2009
2:26 PM EDT
> But where else on the internet could you possibly talk about politics?

Seriously, the "political" sites are just as populated by Microsoft shills as anywhere else. Bring up Linux, point out problems with Microsoft products, and BAM!

And with all the same talking points that TC highlights.
dinotrac

Sep 05, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
C'mon Bob!

Why can't you keep your posts to acceptable topics, like the ones Caitlyn likes?

There's no room for (unacceptable) politics here. After all ,this IS the internet!

Kumbaya, man.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!