Debian should work

Story: Ubuntu "Stick" Blues - or USB for shortTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
huiac

Oct 29, 2009
11:00 PM EDT
I can't speak for unetbootin or Kubuntu, but Debian installs using USB are documented at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en ISTR it working for me with Debian Lenny, but my favourite install method for my home LAN is a PXE + TFTP medialess install - a minor hassle to setup the first time, but once setup it's easy to maintain. It seems like most (especially onboard) Ethernet controllers support this nowadays.

John
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 29, 2009
11:25 PM EDT
hkwint - I'd just bite the bullet and get a SATA optical drive ...
caitlyn

Oct 30, 2009
1:17 AM EDT
Funny, Hans, both Kubuntu and Kubuntu Netbook Remix worked fine for me with Unetbootin. It's how I did the installs to my netbook and netbook's SD cards which I use for testing distros I'm unlikely to keep. I don't know why you had issues. Oh, and for the record Ubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and Xubuntu also work. One of the above five choices will be a keeper: I'm just not sure which one yet.
cberlo

Oct 30, 2009
6:24 AM EDT
I'm confused. Running Ubuntu, with recent versions, you can just go to your System menu, Administration, and select the USB Startup Disk Creator. From here, you can select pretty much any current Ubuntu ISO and it will make the USB bootable as if it was the CD. I've used it previously to get a copy of Ubuntu Linux 9.10 on my stick without burning the CD, and then used that as my installer for Ubuntu Linux 9.10 on another USB stick (yes, I carry two -- one for using and one for proliferation purposes).
hkwint

Oct 30, 2009
7:07 AM EDT
John: Thanks, I will try.

Quoting:Running Ubuntu, with recent versions, you can just go to your System menu

I know, but the problem is that I was not yet running Ubuntu.
azerthoth

Oct 30, 2009
11:29 AM EDT
hkwint, you could have taken the Gentoo approach to installing debian/ubuntu (works for either). From Gentoo do a debootstrap debian/ubuntu install, as Gentoo does have all the needed utilities to install debian/ubuntu/other_debian_derived.

/end Gentoo geek humor
hkwint

Oct 30, 2009
2:24 PM EDT
Obviously, I already thought of that too. But I couldn't find the Ubuntu stage-files. Too sad, isn't it?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!