It's a pity

Story: SourceForge no longer serving open source to US sanctioned countriesTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 27, 2010
6:49 AM EDT
I don't have code hosted on SourceForge, because I would remove it, and host it elsewhere, obviously some place that doesn't block access to the code. Mind you, it's a bit silly trying to block Open Source Code, A bit like damning a river with a fishing net.
nmset

Jan 27, 2010
7:57 AM EDT
One more silly bureaucratic brillant star !
jacog

Jan 27, 2010
7:58 AM EDT
Somewhere in the world, some young budding terrorist child is being bereft of Frets on Fire, and will now be unable to conquer the US by being a guitar-god.
hkwint

Jan 27, 2010
8:03 AM EDT
You know what's funny?

Bin Laden & Co bought their encrypted walkie-talkies in the US, without any problems. But people from abroad buying stuff at companies is hard to monitor, disabling millions to use SourceForge is easier and cheaper.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 27, 2010
9:26 AM EDT
Quoting:Change You Can Believe
or is it, really?

Quoting:No Change At All
Sorry, I really get confused by the message's discordance with actions and the shouters insistence on cynical betrayal.

Befuddled as usual,

YBT
golem

Jan 27, 2010
9:40 AM EDT
This violates the Open Source definition, if I'm not mistaken.

Many, perhaps most, Open Source projects have contributors all over the world. What makes the US government think it can shut them out of what they themselves wrote?
TxtEdMacs

Jan 27, 2010
9:47 AM EDT
Everyone,

Of course the message violates TOS, but never take Your Buddy Txt. seriously without explicit tags indicating [it/s/he/whatever] is attempting to speak the Truth..

YBT
bigg

Jan 27, 2010
10:19 AM EDT
The real problem is that they do this type of thing and then there is less effort made to do things that actually make a difference. I could share some TOS-violating stories.
tuxchick

Jan 27, 2010
10:46 AM EDT
MBT, your speaking the truth is a TOS violation?
cabreh

Jan 27, 2010
2:50 PM EDT
I find it interesting that, if you follow the wikipedia link, codplex (Microsoft) does NOT show any such restrictions. Now maybe I've been out of it for a while or something, but I thought Microsoft was a good law abiding US citizen.

So, howcome they don't have this restriction?

bigg

Jan 27, 2010
3:06 PM EDT
Without question they do have the restriction, it's just a matter of whether they are following it.
azerthoth

Jan 27, 2010
3:15 PM EDT
"Hi Habib, this is your cousin Habim, can you let me proxy through your connection in Canada?"

In all honesty that call doesn't even need to be made, it's simple enough just to hit a public proxy. And to think, people get paid to come up with this brilliance.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 27, 2010
4:59 PM EDT
tc,

Quoting: [anyone] speaking the truth is a TOS violation?
Certainly if it's italicized.

Your [Special*] Buddy Txt.

* For tc, only!
jdixon

Jan 27, 2010
8:43 PM EDT
.> ...but I thought Microsoft was a good law abiding US citizen

Whatever gave you that idea? Microsoft does what's good for Microsoft. If that happens to be legal, so much the better.
cabreh

Jan 28, 2010
3:38 AM EDT
@jdixon

Sarcasm.

jdixon

Jan 28, 2010
7:24 PM EDT
> Sarcasm.

OK. I apologize for not getting it.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 28, 2010
9:48 PM EDT
Quoting:Sarcasm.
You will get a note from my legal representative shortly, since I am certain that is an intregal part of my IP portfolio. How dare you and on my astroturf?

YBT
cabreh

Feb 01, 2010
9:20 AM EDT
@TxtEdMacs

I'm sure I patented that back when I started using computers in the early 80's.

:)
hkwint

Feb 02, 2010
4:40 AM EDT
Interesting one: Someone writes some cryptocode in Canada, then sends it to Sourceforge, then he would still be able to post it on Sunsite of the University of Alberta as well isn't it?

What's interesting is that some Western governments stimulate the development of software to work around restrictions in China / Iran / Turkey. However, the very same software can be used to prevent the crypto-export ban.

Now, where it really gets interesting is if there was a cloud. Let's say Sourceforge was a cloud in multiple countries, than it would be hard to prove some code is "physically" in the US. Maybe host it on Amazon EC2 or so?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!