Cr4p!!

Story: MySQL handler Jacobs walks out on OracleTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Feb 08, 2010
5:29 PM EDT
Quoting:Meanwhile, Ubuntu developers have apparently opted to make Google Docs the default text editor in Ubuntu Netbook Edition.
azerthoth

Feb 08, 2010
7:10 PM EDT
Search with Yahoo, write with google ...all that's left is for *buntu to offer native support for virus' and we'd be hard pressed to know the difference.
tuxchick

Feb 08, 2010
8:24 PM EDT
As one reader on brand x said, remove the kernel, remove Linux, and you have a fine doorstop.
tracyanne

Feb 08, 2010
8:25 PM EDT
That means I'll either have to make my own Netbook Remix or find a different Netbook distro. I probably should anyway I make a lot of changes anyway.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
1:07 AM EDT
I worked on a few documents all day in Google Docs. Was the dog-slowness a networking issue, or was it Firefox's general hogginess and trying to run all that Javascript with any kind of speed? All I know is that it was unpleasant (and I've praised Google Docs plenty). Once I moved back into OpenOffice, I could finally speed things up.
DiBosco

Feb 09, 2010
5:56 AM EDT
Google Docs seems to be getting some interest, doesn't it? My wife does some work for a very large multi-national company who are currently actively looking at dumping Microsoft Word (which is good), but rather than looking at Open Office, they are apparently looking at using Google Docs. They have told my wife to make sure she can open and save that format for the next few translations she does.

My wife'll still have to put the text itself into MS Word to use some of her translation aid tools, but I do wonder whether this kind of thing will mean these tools are ported for OO ad Google DOcs. MS must be feeling it if OO are nibbling away at one end and Google at the other. Once the need for MS OFfice goes, for quite a few companies, I imagine the need for Windows goes too.
herzeleid

Feb 09, 2010
4:49 PM EDT
Quoting:was it Firefox's general hogginess and trying to run all that Javascript with any kind of speed?
You might want to try that again using google chrome. In my experience chrome gives a huge speed advantage over firefox on javascript intensive pages.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
5:08 PM EDT
Google Docs is one of those things than depends on browser compatibility and the ability to run Javascript as efficiently as possible. I had two browsers running along with Thunderbird, a couple other apps, and the Google Docs screen had a hard time refreshing when I typed. I was running Docs out of Iceweasel/Firefox. I'd rather do it in Epiphany, but Google Docs is just a little bit broken in the Epiphany Gecko browser. I expect it would be better in the Webkit version, but I don't have that in Debian Lenny.

If I was that crazy about using Google Docs, I suppose I could get the Google Chrome browser, but I'm a bit too lazy for that, and I'm very unimpressed with Chrome in XP, so that's another strike against installing it.
azerthoth

Feb 09, 2010
5:18 PM EDT
Using google docs means that first you must not care all that much about google's data policies, which makes chrome a good fit, as that browser also feeds your browsing data back to the mothership. This isnt tinfoil time, this is integrated voluntary subscription to big brother.

The only thing chrome is really good for is a few ideas that other browsers might pick up on and integrate. Isolation of processes being a good example.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!