apple's prisoner ?

Story: Why iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Owners Should Use LinuxTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
skai

Apr 13, 2010
5:53 AM EDT
It's a GREAT feat to enable linux users to connect to their iThings without the need to jailbreak them.

But one thing in the article is a nonsense : the author feels being Apple's prisoner. This is true with any single apple product. If you don't like that idea, don't buy apple products.

And stop buzzing about the fact that white headphones are so much better than any other just because Cupertino decided the colour. What I mean is : other products are just as fine as any icrap. It's up to anyone to choose depending on many factors, open and standard compliant is the main afaik.

r_a_trip

Apr 13, 2010
9:30 AM EDT
Skai, you've got it spot on, but you forget one very big factor with Apple kit. Apple doesn't only sell hard- and software, they also sell the illusion of "cool, hip & trendy".

I suspect a lot of Apple users follow Apple and their kit, not because they cannot get any better anywhere else, but they fancy the idea that they themselves become "cool, hip & trendy" by surrounding themselves with Apple kit.

My reaction to that is: "Put a monkey in a suit..."

Then again, maybe I'm unqualified to make that assessment as I like bang for the buck. Looks only need to be acceptable, functionality is key.
azerthoth

Apr 13, 2010
10:02 AM EDT
*note* if you feel the iPrisoner stress, you should probably not buy their products. Or in other words dont be a [censored][censored][censored] moron.
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2010
10:10 AM EDT
I would disagree on only one point:

Apple stuff is cool in part because it tends to work pretty well for a lot of people. My wife is presently struggling with an 8G Sansa mp3 player that isn't quite doing the job of replacing her old 1st generation iPod nano.

iTunes was a serious pain in the pack animal for us to get working properly with all 4 (4!!) of the iPods we have (not a one of them is mine, and two of them were gifts), but she knows how to use it.

Sigh.

I even liked the Mac OSX server I worked with back in the fall, although it's method for auto-starting tasks is decidedly foreign.

Being held captive is actually a reason to buy Apple -- their stuff works best when it works their way. If you don't want to be a "prisoner" -- and you're not because you made the choice and you can make the choice to go elsewhere -- don't buy Apple.

Steven_Rosenber

Apr 13, 2010
11:01 AM EDT
I've been considering a Sansa Clip+, and it's worrying to hear about this and other problems with the players. If they could manage to sell them for more $30, less $50/$60, I'd feel better about it.
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2010
11:04 AM EDT
Steve --

I'm not much of an mp3 guy myself -- don't like walking around with those stupid buds in my ears, but I don't know if the problem is with the Sansa or the iPod.

My wife actually inherited the Sansa from our son-in-law, who received (somewhat grudgingly, I might add) an iPod for Christmas from my happy Apple prisoner daughter.

Danny (SIL) liked the Sansa just fine, is not presently thrilled with the iPod.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 13, 2010
11:19 AM EDT
I'm using this el-cheapo Centron Craze 4 GB player. It cost $20, I think. User interface is terrible (too-small buttons, poor documentation - though I finally do have everything figured out, doesn't remember where you left off in more than one file at a time), but sound is great, portability excellent (about the size of a Bic lighter), and it plays MP3, WAV and Ogg - so I'm ripping lots of discs to Ogg and trying to get ogg podcast feeds (I use gPodder to manage podcasts on the player).

It also has a strange habit of presenting ogg files out of order - meaning full albums play in some strange sequence whose logic I can't figure out. (MP3s play in the proper order.)

It won't play Flac, so that's why I'm looking at the Sansa - that and the promise of better UI.

What's great is that the system sees it as a USB flash drive, so it's easy to manage it from multiple applications ... although FreeBSD refuses to mount it, and trying to do so freezes the console. In Windows, I get complaints from the system about being unable to properly "close" the player, and the permissions look like read only. Everything does work in Windows.

It used to work perfectly in Linux, especially Debian Lenny. Kind of funny, no? Linux offers the best compatibility.

I have yet to try it in the Ubuntu Lucid beta, which I'm running now.
herzeleid

Apr 13, 2010
12:00 PM EDT
I like the sansa gear too - works fine in linux, shows up as a usb drive, as mentioned. Just drag and drop mp3s into the "MUSIC" folder and then "safely remove" the device.
jdixon

Apr 13, 2010
12:34 PM EDT
> My reaction to that is: "Put a monkey in a suit..."

And the next thing you know he's CEO of a fortune 500 company.
lth

Apr 13, 2010
1:48 PM EDT
I use a Sansa Clip+. I agree with herzeleid, just drag and drop. I have put a few audio books on it and it works well. I use PCLinuxOS and it sees it fine.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 13, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
I'll be looking for deals on the Sansa Clip+ - thanks for your comments.

I'm no audiophile, but the Oggs I've been making from CDs have been sounding pretty good.

I don't know if Flac is all that necessary, but I've been trying to figure out the best format for long-term use.
tuxchick

Apr 13, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
Quoting: I've been trying to figure out the best format for long-term use.

Keep your high-quality masters archived in WAV or FLAC, and then you can generate any number of lesser-quality files from those.
moopst

Apr 13, 2010
5:37 PM EDT
My brother in law is an artist - not a techy so naturally he was drawn to Apple. He recorded my nephew using Garage Band and saved the files in Apples format. When his laptop got stolen he hooked his iPod up to the new laptop to sync it up. He says a message poped up saying something like "Would you like to use this computer for iTunes" to which he replied "Yes". I don't know if it said he would lose everything he has or if he didn't read all the fine print but he lost the ability to read his old files. I think rather than try to unlock them he deleted them all so no more Sean's first words and such. Nice move Apple.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 13, 2010
6:19 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't know if Flac is all that necessary, but I've been trying to figure out the best format for long-term use.

I agree with TC here. FLAC or WAV. Or any lossless format. Don't use lossy formats for long-term storage. Ever. This includes not using JPEG and JPEG2000 for your photos! Better save them as RAW or PNG or something.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 13, 2010
6:20 PM EDT
How does Flac handle metadata? I think that might be a reason to use it over WAV - so you can get artist/title/album information embedded in the file.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 14, 2010
3:56 AM EDT
FLAC supports Metadata and Cue files.
chalbersma

Apr 14, 2010
10:47 PM EDT
Quoting: What's great is that the system sees it as a USB flash drive, so it's easy to manage it from multiple applications ... although FreeBSD refuses to mount it, and trying to do so freezes the console. In Windows, I get complaints from the system about being unable to properly "close" the player, and the permissions look like read only. Everything does work in Windows.

I've had this problem before. Give me a dmesg | tail after you plug in the device. I'm willing to bet it's a partition logic thing. Try mounting as > sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/sda1

instead of

> sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/sda0

or maybe perhaps

> sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/sda
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 14, 2010
11:17 PM EDT
You can't get a dmesg - if you plug it in and boot in FreeBSD, the boot process stops at da0 and doesn't assign any further device name(s). Once you unplug the USB device, the boot process continues with complaints about umass ...

Now that I blew FreeBSD off the box, I can't repeat the test. I tried to use the GhostBSD GNOME live CD, but it wouldn't boot at all, with nothing plugged in ...

I should try it in OpenBSD just for laughs ...
gus3

Apr 14, 2010
11:25 PM EDT
Quoting:I should try it in OpenBSD just for laughs ...
Okay, but who will be laughing at whom?
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2010
12:47 AM EDT
If Flash wasn't an issue (Flash 7 in Opera on i386 is as far as you can go), I'd be Mr. OpenBSD.
gus3

Apr 15, 2010
1:21 AM EDT
Is that Opera built for OpenBSD, or built for Linux and running on OpenBSD with kern.emul.linux=1 ?

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq9.html#Interact

EDIT: Never mind. There is no Opera built for any BSD; Linux emulation is required for all x86 *BSD platforms.
chalbersma

Apr 15, 2010
6:57 PM EDT
PCBSD has Flash 10 running in Opera out of the box.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2010
7:29 PM EDT
I'll get around to running PC-BSD - I don't think the live environment lets you install any applications to check them out before you commit to a full install.

Re: OpenBSD - yep, Opera is in Linux emulation mode.

I think that Opera does a build for FreeBSD, but the Flash plugin is still the Linux version running under emulation.

While I was happy to have Flash 9 in FreeBSD 7.3-release (I don't know if you can get Flash 10 in anything less than FBSD 8.0), it ate CPU like crazy, was loathe to give up said eating, and the video was pretty choppy. But at least you can get Flash 9/10 ... I just wish performance was better.
chalbersma

Apr 15, 2010
9:06 PM EDT
Ya BSD needs a native flash plugin.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2010
11:17 PM EDT
Won't get it ... that's the pain of closed-source, single-source code.
gus3

Apr 15, 2010
11:43 PM EDT
Quoting:Ya BSD needs a native flash plugin.
BSDash?
hkwint

Apr 16, 2010
10:53 AM EDT
Adobe doesn't listen to 8000 of their custormers:

http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/petition.html
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 16, 2010
3:54 PM EDT
I think there's an evil Nvidia driver for 64-bit FreeBSD - so not every company that loves proprietary code is against releasing a binary for FreeBSD. OpenBSD wouldn't include it, of course, because they're against closed-source binaries.
chalbersma

Apr 18, 2010
2:50 AM EDT
It's one of the big reason's I'm pulling for HTML5 adoption.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!