Untitled

Story: The Generational Privacy DivideTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
ComputerBob

Nov 05, 2010
10:31 AM EDT
Quoting:I figure if I can Google myself, why try hiding.. - Scott
I can think of many, many reasons. I suspect that you could, too, if you tried.
gus3

Nov 05, 2010
10:48 AM EDT
When I search for myself under my real name, I find lots of other guys with my name, enough so that I disappear in the noise.

That doesn't mean I'll slack off on keeping me separate from my avatar. I rather like it that way.
azerthoth

Nov 05, 2010
11:22 AM EDT
My real name is easily available, heck I have used it here a time or three. However searching this nickname brings up lots of hits pointed right at me. My only real defense is that not only is my name rather common but that I share it with a historical figure of some relevance.

hmm, it might be time to change my nickname again, I have been using this one for over 10 years now.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2010
11:59 AM EDT
And then we'll track you down on google with "azerthoth's new nick, when he changed it, and discussions leading up to the change".
jdixon

Nov 05, 2010
12:28 PM EDT
Well, as I've noted in the past, I do use my real name online, and have since my days on Delphi. However, that's a personal choice, and not something I'd want to push on anyone else. And, like ComputerBob, I can think of lots of reasons not to.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 05, 2010
1:21 PM EDT
It is my last name that does it for me and it is my defense as well because it is such an uncommon name. I am pretty sure I am the only Scott Ruecker who looks like me and does what I do on the planet. I am the first and main result in any search you do for that name. There are a couple other SR's out there but they are not obviously not me.

I have been working for LXer for five years or so altogether now and with Facebook and Twitter and my playing drums in bands and having videos and music on YouTube and a ton of pictures online along with all the interconnections created by me and others. There is no point in trying to hide if I have already done a world class swan dive into the Internet. ;-)

hkwint

Nov 05, 2010
8:23 PM EDT
No Scott, no point in hiding if you're famous!
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 06, 2010
4:54 AM EDT
Oh stop it, your just trying to flatter me aren't you? ;-)

gus3

Nov 06, 2010
9:34 AM EDT
Charles Manson is famous, too. So?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!