Assuming

Story: Windows Phone to eclipse iPhone sales by 2015 - forecastTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
DrDubious

Mar 30, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
From what I've seen, it looks kind of like they essentially just assumed A)Nokia would not lose any more market share and B)Nokia's Symbian market share will simply transfer over to Windows 7 Phone 7 Series 7 Phone OS (7) without any further losses, giving Symbian's Q12011 market share directly to Windows Phone 2015.

Seems dubious at best, unless Microsoft can get the legislature to let them sue anyone who uses a competing OS.
hkwint

Mar 30, 2011
6:37 PM EDT
Quoting:unless Microsoft can get the legislature to let them sue anyone

I think they use Nokia as a proxy to do so. Already, I think from a legislative POV, Nokia has been the biggest treat to the iPhone. If the Nokia / Windows combination was good enough to outsell the iPhone, they wouldn't have had to litigate though.
JaseP

Mar 31, 2011
9:50 AM EDT
If Nokia had gotten behind Maemo in a big way & tweaked the form factor of their N-Series Linux devices (N7xx, N8xx, & N900) to be slimmer & have a bigger screen, it'd been a whitewash of Apple. My N900 can run circles around an iPhone in terms of function and ability to customize. The N900's browsing experience is as close to desktop as any MID I've seen, & with full IR, Bluetooth, WiFi, GSM, GPS, accelerometers, proximity sensor (just wave a finger over it for a customized function), 2 cameras, video out (composite, not HDMI), FM broadcast, Qwerty keyboard, it's got more than any smart-phone out there... Plus full terminal, Debian-based Linux under the hood...

They really sold their soul when they hired this new CEO. And now IDC publishes this bought & paid-for analysis,... ?!?! Self-serving cr@p...
jdixon

Mar 31, 2011
11:46 AM EDT
I agree completely, JaseP. Both of our old Nokia N770's are unfortunately dead or dying. The screen is gone on one and the wireless seems to be dead on the other. :( I may have to see what N900's are going for on Ebay.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!