App support

Story: US: Android is the most popular smartphone system Total Replies: 8
Author Content
skelband

Apr 05, 2011
6:34 PM EDT
I wonder when we are going to start seeing Android as the primary development platform for new front-line applications?

I see a lot of applications targeting iOS primarily at the moment and perhaps Android if you are very lucky.

Perhaps that is about to change.
gus3

Apr 05, 2011
6:40 PM EDT
LibreOffice on Android would be as much a game-changer as the first release of Knoppix was.
JaseP

Apr 06, 2011
11:11 AM EDT
LibreOffice for Android would be tough. They'd have to port the entire code base to Davlik. I'd actually say that AbiWord and GNUmeric would be better choices.
azerthoth

Apr 06, 2011
12:19 PM EDT
Not mind you that I am advocating for it, however one must look at the function of a device. Phones aren't meant to be word processors, even smart phones. There is still google docs, and you can use that free of charge. If your one of those confused individuals who likes android but doesnt want google, do yourself a favor. Grab a brick and smash it either into your android phone or your forehead until one of the two stops working.
hkwint

Apr 06, 2011
12:37 PM EDT
Actually, I think KOffice would be the best choice, as there were people working on making (some of it) it available for Nokia phones, using Qt of course.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 06, 2011
12:54 PM EDT
az,

Why are you so hostile towards bricks? Surely you could thought of more constructive usage. Build not destroy.

YBT
gus3

Apr 06, 2011
12:59 PM EDT
Bricks are useful for both purposes.
azerthoth

Apr 06, 2011
1:54 PM EDT
@MBT It's not that I am particularly hostile towards bricks, I have many friends who qualify as such. It's just that I prefer the imagery that it conveys. I know I should not encourage preconceived prejudices, founded or unfounded. Try as I might though, the one about bricks I haven't managed to shake for all my years of trying.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 06, 2011
3:46 PM EDT
az,

Well I have a thought. Why not wall off such negative thoughts about bricks. We just need to give you a new perspective and stop you from taking the wrong path. I think we should get you stoned to give you a sunny slant on life.

However, if by chance you begin to utter phrases like "Tiger;s blood", "Vatican Assassin" or other convoluted nonsense - then we know the prescription has failed. You must submit to a full term of mandatory treatment to break your addictions. Unlike the aforementioned [jerk, idiot, any adjectives that apply], you will not be allowed to promptly exit the premises prior to their safely padlocking the gate.

Should our well intentioned efforts fail in such a manner, you will be allowed to return to your anti-social, figurative usage of bricks. But let's see if stoning works for you. Or we could go the Singapore route where you are caned until you live by the rules, i.e. no spitting in the street. The latter is kind of nasty, I opt let you go back to bricks.

As always,

YBT

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!