Waiting with interest

Story: GIMP 2.8 May Not Come Until Late NovemberTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Ridcully

Apr 19, 2011
6:17 PM EDT
I have always wanted to see GIMP with a single window in a "Photoshop mode". Sure, it's strictly my personal preferences and I accept absolutely that in all probability most GIMP users are perfectly contented for its default display to stay the way it is with the several floating windows. Version 2.8 should give the best of both worlds and that's not a bad thing in my opinion: it gives more choice, and that's a cardinal virtue of the Linux world.

While it is very unfair to compare GIMP and Photoshop in areas such as development, user base, professional applications etc. etc., nevertheless GIMP is a superb piece of software for image manipulation and has been used for both small and large scale home and business applications. I guess I have always believed that a single window GIMP would make it easier for a Photoshop user to "feel at home" should they need to make that transition. Looks like at long last we might find out.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 19, 2011
7:01 PM EDT
It's not that I need to replicate the Photoshop experience, because I avoid Adobe Photoshop like the plague that it is, but it can be a pain trying to keep track of the various GIMP windows on my not-giant screens.
tuxchick

Apr 19, 2011
9:08 PM EDT
Steven, it's a pain even on big screens. If you have other apps open the Gimp windows get lost, and it gets old chasing them down.
Fettoosh

Apr 19, 2011
9:23 PM EDT
Quoting:Waiting with interest

If you are anxious and have a Debian based Distro, you might want to try v2.7.3.

http://www.khattam.info/howto-install-gimp-2-7-with-single-w...

https://launchpad.net/ ~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn

tracyanne

Apr 19, 2011
11:07 PM EDT
Quoting:If you have other apps open the Gimp windows get lost, and it gets old chasing them down.

I use the DockBarX applet, in place of the Gnome Window list applet, it has multiple window previews, so I can easily locate other Gimp Windows, by hovering over the GIMP icon on the panel, and bring the one I want to the front. Still I suppose it'a not as good as having everything subordinate to a single parent Window, as 2.8 promises.
Ridcully

Apr 20, 2011
3:42 AM EDT
For Steven_Rosenber..........What you have said in your post above underlines just how differently each of us experiences software packages. I use Photoshop7 and began with Photoshop4. I wouldn't part with this package because it runs perfectly on Crossover Office and I think it is the last one in the Photoshop series that is activated purely on the basis of a CD key; if you have to swap hdd's in an upgrade, that aspect becomes an enormous plus.

I really enjoy using the package, although I am not sure I would want to migrate to the CS versions. I guess it is because I learnt my image processing on Photoshop that I am more at home with a single window, but in any event, I have never found Photoshop to be either overcomplex or wanting in a procedure I needed ~ and I did some fairly extensive image manipulation when I produced a tour CD of the Lamington NP a few years ago for commercial distribution. I know I personally will feel more at home in a single GIMP window.

Thanks Fettoosh......but I run openSUSE......I am content to wait.
JaseP

Apr 20, 2011
8:42 PM EDT
Quoting: If you have other apps open the Gimp windows get lost, and it gets old chasing them down.

OK,... I'll say the dirty words, then shut up... "That's when Compiz really shines..."

Shutting up now,...
Sander_Marechal

Apr 28, 2011
10:29 AM EDT
Quoting:If you have other apps open the Gimp windows get lost, and it gets old chasing them down.

Use a tiling window manager :-)
hkwint

Apr 28, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
But does it help? I mean, doesn't it stretch the small windows to giant sizes?

xmonad isn't on my system anymore it seems (Haskell not that well maintained on my distro), so sadly I can't test.
flufferbeer

Apr 28, 2011
8:41 PM EDT
Whatever happened to GIMPshop or its development? Wasn't GIMPshop supposed to be THE "Photoshop mode" for GIMP???

Just wondering is all.

-fb
skelband

Apr 29, 2011
12:35 PM EDT
I'm a regular Gimp user and I have to say that a single window version would be great news.

It's just such a pain having a floating window obscuring some of the graphical area if you maximize the image window.

Most people that I have seen using Gimp for general editing and touching up end up manually resizing the graphic window to the area not obscured by the toolbox. It's not the end of the world but it's a major annoyance.

What would be cool would be for it to get a good GUI work-over similar to that of Blender 2.5. Blender has its quirks but its new interface is like a revelation and I'm a big fan of the new design.

@Ridcully et al My son goes to a school that recently decided to purchase a copy of Adobe CS with which, among other things, they are compiling their year book. On the IT committee, my original recommendation was to give Scribus a go for this fairly straightforward task. It's free and good enough for this type of job, despite its own little quirks.

They preferred the "familiarity" of the CS tools because one of the teachers had used it before.

My son is on the small crew putting the yearbook together and he has used Scribus at home for some of his homework projects and quite likes it. However, he complains that CS is complicated and fiddly to use and the extensive use of layers makes it quite confusing for him. For a relatively simple job, it is just too big a package for the job when something simpler would suffice.

The moral I guess is that don't judge a piece of software by your familiarity with it. It often trumps any other attributes, good or otherwise.
Sander_Marechal

May 03, 2011
9:31 AM EDT
Quoting:But does it help? I mean, doesn't it stretch the small windows to giant sizes?

Nope. I have configured my window manager (awesome window manager) to show the two toolwindows at a fixed size and position. The rest of the screen realeastate either gets divided equally between all opened images (tiled), or one of the images takes up all the space (max).

Quoting:Whatever happened to GIMPshop or its development? Wasn't GIMPshop supposed to be THE "Photoshop mode" for GIMP???

Yes. I believe it's being absorbed into GIMP upstream.
tracyanne

May 03, 2011
6:23 PM EDT
There are 3 things I do when using the GIMP. First, of course,as I've already mentioned, I use the DockBarX applet in place of the Gnome Window List panel, for Multiple window previews, I can easily fins any gimp window I need, and bring it to the front. I roll the tool windows up until only the Window title bar is visible they float above the main window, I just position them ove the main window's title bar, and roll them down as i need them, and I work on a fresh Workspace on which I have not opened any other applications.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!