Hybrid PC - a Major Threat

Story: Smart BookTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Fettoosh

Apr 24, 2011
11:30 AM EDT
This type of device (I call it Hybrid PC [HPC]) is a major threat to MS market share. I wonder how they are going to react to it.

Considering the ways MS keeps accumulating code into Windows core, I doubt that Win 8 and beyond can be made modular and flexible enough to be used on such devices.

JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
9:12 AM EDT
I saw the Always Innovating device,... But, my big problem with it is that it's an ARM-based device, not an x86 device. So, any full Linux distro that runs on it would be a recompiled version that lacks any of the x86 specific apps. If this thing was an Atom, AMD or VIA C7-m (or VIA nano), I might consider it.
hkwint

Apr 26, 2011
12:14 PM EDT
JaseP: Nice one pushing the Intel party-line, think they should hire you!

Joking aside, of course you're right, but if everybody thought like that, Linux would have never been born. Because after all, Linux lacks a recompiled version of the Windows specific apps, doesn't it? Ubuntu's ARM team is working pretty hard to resolve those issues.

Moreover, do people miss x86 apps on their Android phones? Probably they don't. So if enough developers start making programs for these kind of devices, the problem's gone.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
1:39 PM EDT
It's the codecs & stuff... Also, for a machine that has the ability to scale up like that you want the power & flexibility of full productivity apps. I have nothing against ARM per se, I have a number of ARM devices (favorite being my N900). Linux, on the other hand was not created as a replacement for M$ on the desktop but as an alternative for Minix/Unix. It just evolved into a very scalable platform.

But I understand what you mean in terms of taking risks & challenging the status quo. The SmartBook is a cool concept. But it's a little rough around the edges, hardware-wise (You have to open the tablet dock, exposing the motherboard, to marry the hand-held to the tablet). And an Android, Chrome, Ubuntu-ARM implementation doesn't have advantages very far beyond Android alone. Oh,... I miss desktop apps on my Android device. Android's browsing & note-taking capabilities are lackluster.
Fettoosh

Apr 26, 2011
2:51 PM EDT
Quoting:But, my big problem with it is that it's an ARM-based device,...

....It's the codecs & stuff...

This is one of the very first few employing this concept, give it time and it will spread. Cost will come down, configurations with different CPUs will be available, and localized CPU in each detachable could be utilized for better performance and redundancy.

Imagine, think out of the box.

hkwint

Apr 26, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
Indeed, codecs are a real issue.

These days, those codecs are embedded in the hardware itself. However, drivers to 'video accelerators' are often proprietary. I think TI's IVA-HD solution is pretty 'open', using standardized xDM and xDAIS "API interfaces", though I don't know that much about this topic. But I did read in Ubuntu's ARM IRC channel proprietary drivers is a real problem. Something like the situation with Ati / nVidia ten years ago. But then worse, because Ati / nVidia are only two companies, and SoC makers there are many.

I hope Ubuntu - together with help from TI maybe? - will be able to solve these problems. If they do and TI is helping them, I think we should vote with our wallet, like in the old (WiFi?) days when hardware support for Linux was not a given.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
Hoping for future progress means it's not viable now. I've been an early adopter a few too many times & gotten burned.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!