Flash next?

Story: Adobe Drops Linux Desktop Support For AIRTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
IGnatiusTFoobar

Jun 15, 2011
2:15 PM EDT
I have no use for AIR, but I'd be very concerned if they dropped the Flash plugin next. Flash may be on the decline but it's one of those key pieces of proprietary software that keeps the Linux desktop reasonably usable for now.
mortenalver

Jun 15, 2011
2:22 PM EDT
This worries me, as I am a customer of WiMP, a music streaming service similar to Spotify. Their client is based on Adobe AIR and thus they offer a Linux version. Now, provided they have enough Linux customers to care, Adobe has put them in a difficult position.
JaseP

Jun 15, 2011
2:38 PM EDT
They won't drop flash support,... AIR is too niche a product, in my opinion. There are competing technologies that are of equal or larger value to Linux users. And Linux users tend to like standalone apps versus web apps. I'm more disturbed by the "market share" reports, than AIR.
mortenalver

Jun 15, 2011
3:17 PM EDT
My understanding is that AIR produces standalone applications that are delivered over the web, more or less like Java Web Start does. At least the two AIR apps I've seen, Adobe Digital Editions and WiMP, definitely look and act like desktop applications.
Koriel

Jun 15, 2011
6:29 PM EDT
No big loss, the one AIR based app i tried failed to work so i quickly removed the whole platform from my system as the app didn't warrant the amount of hassle required for me to go find out how to fix the problem.

Im happy with Java & QT don't really see the need for any other crossplatform framework on a desktop PC most other non-open commercial crossplatforms amount to nothing more than pointless land grabs in my view and should be steered well clear of.

As for Flash it will gradually die as HTML5 takes over, it may if its lucky find some kind of niche for itself instead of completely shrugging off its mortal coil.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!