It's a cr@ppy Windows exe running under WINE

Story: Google Talk Video Review (Nexus S)Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 18, 2011
8:15 AM EDT
The Linux version of Google chat and Video is actually the Windows version of Googlre Chat and Video running under Wine, Like Google Earth, the installer merely install a Windows exe in the default WINE folder, and like most Windows programs it crashes if you breath on it.

Google are just a bunch of arrogant sods, who use Linux, but won't give us a native version of their applications.
r_a_trip

Jul 18, 2011
9:21 AM EDT
In Google's defense, the webbrowser based version works flawlessly. The plugin for Linux is packaged in the most common formats.
JaseP

Jul 18, 2011
10:40 AM EDT
I for one am mildly impressed that they released a Linux version at all... I won't spite them for giving us a win.exe in a wine wrapper. I'm sure there is a native Linux version floating around, though, because the N900 supports Google video chat... They just need the time/excuse/motivation to release a full Linux version. Flinging poop at them won't exactly motivate them.
tracyanne

Jul 18, 2011
5:39 PM EDT
Quoting:I for one am mildly impressed that they released a Linux version at all...

D@mned by faint praise.

Not small Tracy.. faint. Get it right
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2011
6:06 PM EDT
I don't know why anybody's upset that they would release a Windows app that requires wine.

Honestly, I can't stand to use Windows without a little something to mellow me out first.
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2011
6:54 PM EDT
Wine is not enough for me to use Windows. I need some heavy-duty livestock tranquilizers. Hallucinogens are good too, then it makes sense.
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2011
11:19 PM EDT
Hmmmm. A good stiff phenobarbitol doesn't sound bad, now that you mention it.
tracyanne

Jul 19, 2011
1:52 AM EDT
Horse Tranqualiser. Especially when using IE 9. As usual Internet explorer breaks my clients site. We're getting line wrapping where there should be none, and there is indeed none on every other web browser, Javascript controlled search box no longer works, but only on IE 9. Customer is going but how come an application written using Microsoft tools hosted on a Microsoft server works with every other web browser ,but no Microsoft's. I'm going to have to break the site to make it work with IE9.
gus3

Jul 19, 2011
7:53 AM EDT
That sounds like what comes out the other end of the horse.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!