Rolling Release?...

Story: Proposed: A Monthly Ubuntu Release CycleTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Jeff91

Sep 09, 2011
5:00 PM EDT
Why not just move to a rolling release base?

~Jeff
DrGeoffrey

Sep 09, 2011
5:23 PM EDT
Because a rolling release demands some attention to stability. Let's not encourage them down a path for which they appear ill-prepared.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 09, 2011
7:02 PM EDT
I'm done worrying about Ubuntu's release cycle. All I want now is more focus on out-of-the-box stability in the LTS.
jdixon

Sep 09, 2011
7:36 PM EDT
> All I want now is more focus on out-of-the-box stability...

Is Debian or Slackware. :)
Jeff91

Sep 09, 2011
10:15 PM EDT
Sure, Debian is rock solid with their "stable" release. But to give credit where credit is due, Ubuntu (Unity not withstanding) does a decent job of keeping a good mix of stable+current software.

Using Debian stable feels dated the day releases as a desktop OS. Don't get be wrong - I want tried and true for a server, on the desktop I need current packages though generally. At least as far as end user applications go.

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 10, 2011
10:57 AM EDT
There are excellent use cases for both, but with Backports, the Mozilla Debian APT archive and a few other sources, Debian Stable doesn't feel so old.

I still prefer Ubuntu for some installs, but I want the LTS and don't want it to be an afterthought to the developers that's just another six-month release with longer support.
Fettoosh

Sep 10, 2011
11:16 AM EDT
I have been running Kubuntu since 8.04 and I never did a single fresh install after that. There were major biannual updates and numerous occasional ones. Did I have issues? Sure, but nothing that wasn't fixable by removing and re-installing packages.

APT/Aptitude is very streamlined and reliable and I consider it to be the best package manager around. I think it makes a distro behave as close to rolling distro as it could be and it is not that bad at all.

mbaehrlxer

Sep 10, 2011
12:11 PM EDT
the way i read the article the real problem is not the release cycle, but canonicals payment structure. i consider it a sad sign for canonical if it would take a change in the release cycle to improve the payment structure.

but then, even if the payment structure is improved, having a shorter release cycle makes it easier to develop a feature until it is really ready. i think the linux kernel gives a good example of that which i understand has a release cycle of roughly 3 months. i believe it is much easier to tell if a feature can be ready within 3 month than telling if it can be done in 6 months. if 3 months is not enough, adding another 3 months is less painful than adding 6. the kernel model has been successful for 40 releases now...

greetings, eMBee.
kikinovak

Sep 10, 2011
3:42 PM EDT
Monthly releases?!? Nah, daily releases are way better. I suggest Canonical publishes an Alpha every day at about ten o'clock, then a Beta around a quarter to twelve. This leaves the developers plenty of time to bring out a stable and polished product at around three o'clock in the afternoon. Of course, don't forget the press releases for each and every branch and version.

Cheers,

KN (Slackware 13.37)
montezuma

Sep 10, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
Seems like the main bitch here is that new features do not have sufficient development time because of the current release treadmill. I used to report bugs to launchpad but do not bother much anymore because I have noticed the devs are not as engaged as they used to be there. Perhaps these two things are connected.

I hope Ubuntu has a proper in depth debate and discussion over this issue. It used to be a good distro and has slipped because the devs have become burnt out and isolated from users. The unity debacle being the latest example of top down bs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!