I should probably look for myself...

Story: Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot Screenshots TourTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tuxchick

Sep 11, 2011
12:58 AM EDT
but it looks like Unity is still a big waste of clicks. Too many clicks to wade through the system menu to find your applications-- they seem to think searching for every darn thing is cool. No recent documents menu. No one-click workspace switching. No easy menu editor. The launcher is all clogged with LibreOffice and Ubuntu One, neither of which I want front and center. I guess nice easy one-click shortcuts are illegal now.
Fettoosh

Sep 11, 2011
11:33 AM EDT
Quoting: I guess nice easy one-click shortcuts are illegal now

So it seems. Fortunately, only on particular DEs.

lcafiero

Sep 11, 2011
1:25 PM EDT
tuxchick -- Funny you should mention that: I was just using the Oneiric beta last night, forcing myself to try to "get" Unity. After two hours figuring out how this desktop environment is easier, I gave up. There's too much "inside football" for me to do the stuff I want to do, or so it seems.

tuxchick

Sep 11, 2011
3:22 PM EDT
Larry, I was hoping it was improved from Natty. I'll still test it to see for myself. Then I can whinge from experience :) Or maybe find something to like, who knows. In Natty it's a trainwreck for actually getting anything done. Launcher on the side, cool, it makes sense for widescreens. The Gnome panel does not adapt well to being placed on the side of the screen. So why not just fix that and leave all the good stuff in place? Cascading menus, easily customizable menus, easily customizable panel...apparently these are all bad and must be exterminated.
albinard

Sep 11, 2011
7:18 PM EDT
I await with interest the 12.04 version. Since it's an LTS, Canonical has to live with supporting it for 3 years, and one can hope they will have gotten together something a bit more polished (how's that for understatement?). I can live with New, as long as it's not Less.
gus3

Sep 11, 2011
8:12 PM EDT
albinard wrote:I can live with New, as long as it's not Less.

Hmmm, checking...

Quoting:me@home:~$ less --version

less 436

Copyright (C) 1984-2009 Mark Nudelman

less comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. For information about the terms of redistribution, see the file named README in the less distribution. Homepage: http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less

ann@ann:~$

Can you live with a 2-year-old Less?
mbaehrlxer

Sep 12, 2011
9:31 PM EDT
gus3: i see your less 436 and i raise (erm lower ;-)
Quoting:$ less --version

less 418

Copyright (C) 1984-2007 Mark Nudelman

greetings, eMBee.
tracyanne

Sep 12, 2011
10:20 PM EDT
@gus3, ann@ann:~$

Your computer is named ann.
gus3

Sep 12, 2011
10:40 PM EDT
Oops.... blundered that from my mother's system while I was doing weekly maintenance.
tracyanne

Sep 12, 2011
11:23 PM EDT
no worries, I give all the computers I install female names, my current machine is named annie, and my favourite netbook brenda, I just thought it strange that your real name might be Ann.
jdixon

Sep 13, 2011
8:22 AM EDT
> no worries, I give all the computers I install female names...

My two machines are currently named Tanelorn and Imrryr. :)
techiem2

Sep 13, 2011
4:01 PM EDT
Serenity, Escape-Pod, Legion, Vidmaster, Cthulhu are my interesting ones...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!