no wonder why

Story: Inpatient Distro Developer Sings A Song.Total Replies: 22
Author Content
csatlose

Sep 25, 2011
10:41 PM EDT
I just visited the home page of the aforementioned linux distro site, and must say that I'm glad the distro is not listed on Distrowatch. The distro's website is hardly distinguishable from a website that might try to fool users into downloading something disastrous.
tuxchick

Sep 25, 2011
11:39 PM EDT
It does say "inpatient"
Koriel

Sep 26, 2011
1:07 AM EDT
Just visited the distro site, wow the 90's are calling and want their web developer back.

Plus i dont like Windows clones, if you want Windows use Windows if you want Linux then use Linux, I have a 3 1/2 year old who is perfectly happy using either Windows 7 or XFCE and has no trouble switching between the two, if he can do it so can everybody else, I just wish all users could be kept happy with Thomas the Tank engine and Chuggington DVD's :)
usacomputertec

Sep 26, 2011
2:45 AM EDT
@Koriel A website does not define the success of a distribution, it's number of users do. My distribution is designed to do one thing, and that's please the majority of End Users. 9 out of 10 Windows users that see JULinux have it installed on their computers. There are over 4,000 new JULinux users every day. (that's what my stats tell me) I earned the Famous Software award for 2010 for having the most user friendly Linux distribution ever.

And as far as your approval, it's not to be expected, in fact I don't think most of the people that view this site will prefer JULinux, because for some reason Linux GURUs seem to have a problem with the idea of making a distribution that is user friendly for the majority of people, and instead choose to make people learn their individual interfaces (Gnome, Unity, KDE, ect.). When Windows 8 is out in stores and on PCs it will be amazing how many people choose to stay with a previous version of Windows, buy a Mac, or switch to JULinux. I don't seek the approval of the Linux community because I know that was a lost cause when I started in 2006. The only Linux users who like my distribution are the ones that want Windows users to switch to Linux.

As for the rest of you, I don't understand your way of thinking, but I don't plan to change it, or change what you use.
usacomputertec

Sep 26, 2011
2:45 AM EDT
P.S. If someone wants to volunteer to make my website, go for it! I'm not saying it's my specialty.
r_a_trip

Sep 26, 2011
3:29 AM EDT
@usacomputertec

Don't be deterred by the negativity. Long time Linux users have become a bit jaded by a decade of "Year of the Linux Desktop" and a parade of "Windows like" Distro's like Corel Linux/Xandros, Lindows/Linspire, all of which never did seem to do anything good for end-users.

For what it's worth, the Windows XP UI lay-out is a tried and tested lay-out and a highly familiar one. I see nothing wrong with it. In any case it is a lot more sane and usable than our current GTK3/Gnome3 UI experiments Gnome Shell and Unity.

I must say that before now I didn't know about the Just Use Linux distro. Makes me wonder how many uncharted Linux territories are still out there. Maybe I'll give JULinux a spin in VirtualBox when I have the time.The looming Gnome Shell has me up for a round of distro hopping anyways.

When it comes to the JULinux main website, I can't help with a new one, but I sincerely hope someone with the necessary skills will step up. It can do with some toning down and some aesthetic polishing. A bit more content wouldn't hurt either. At least a link to the SF.net page for the screenshots would add some more visibility to JULinux.
r_a_trip

Sep 26, 2011
5:50 AM EDT
Scratch my last recomendation. Reading is an art.

Once I clicked on the big, scary button(s), I was redirected to the actual site. What "http://www.justuselinux.com/ " needs is a bit of a clean-up on the frontpage. In its current form it looks like an unfinished webpage, with alot of empty links. Not an attractive calling card.

Changing the index.html to a page with just the two buttons (cleaned up, smaller and less "spammy" looking) would go great lengths to make the site look more professional. Right now the first impression it gives is an abandonned project site.
jdixon

Sep 26, 2011
9:27 AM EDT
> A website does not define the success of a distribution, it's number of users do.

By that standard, everyone should switch to Ubuntu or Fedora. If a distribution meets the goals of it's developers and users then it's a success, regardless of how many people use it.

mbaehrlxer

Sep 26, 2011
9:51 AM EDT
jdixon: i think you are mixing something up. noone is suggesting that everyone should use the most successfull system, especially not if we measure number of users, because by that standard everyone should stick to windows.

the statement made is just that if a system has a number of users then that defines its success. to me that fits with what you say that success is if a distribution meets the goals(needs) of its developers and users.

the point is, either way, the website does not define the success. it can influence the success if the website is part of what users need to use a system, but that's another story.

greetings, eMBee.
olefowdie

Sep 26, 2011
10:06 AM EDT
Honestly, everyone here is right on the money. The site sucks. If it isn't your strong suite use an open source or public domain template. You could also just use drupal or something.

As for your ideas about Linux... the majority of people I know use KDE or some obscure WM. As for me, I use awesomewm. If I wanted to use something like Windows, I would use Windows. You are correct. You will never get hardcore Linux users to use your distribution. EVER. Are you even keeping your users? You advertise the ability to run Windows software... when your users realize that WINE really isn't adequate they will be a bit disappointed.

You will be another iMagicOS, Lindows/Linspire, rip off. You will fade into obscurity.

You should innovate not copy.
Koriel

Sep 26, 2011
1:49 PM EDT
@USA I wasn't haveing a go at the distro, it may well be a great distro what i said was purely my preference as you pointed out, do i consider myself jaded when it comes to Windows clones, yeh probably as they have pretty much all come and gone.

My main point is the site is not geared to truly show your distro's potential to its full advantage.

I actually wish I was rich enough so i could volunteer my time to clean it up but since im poor all my time is taken up with working on my own software and website, bidding for contracts and actually getting some (sometimes), and raising my kid.

Even just switching to a basic theme template in Wordpress would be an improvement, someone mentioned Drupal which is fine but the initial learning curve is steep so it wouldnt be my first advice to anyone unless I was out scare them, Joomla is another alternative with not such a steep learning curve as Drupal.

My own website is http://www.caledoniacomputers.com is a heavily modified very old basic Wordpress template brought upto date to support the latest Wordpress, which took about 5 hours to do although not the most modern of looks it does adhere to the KISS principle. Here is an example of a nice and simple Joomla site done by a hobbyist friend of mine and bear in mind he is not a coder and doesnt even use Linux http://www.ianjohnston.com although he did partially rip off my colour scheme the swine :)

Good results are possible with very little effort with todays CMS engines.

My apologies, if you thought I was taking a pot shot at the distro, I wasn't im just over Windows clones.

usacomputertec

Sep 26, 2011
3:55 PM EDT
@Koriel "You advertise the ability to run Windows software... when your users realize that WINE really isn't adequate they will be a bit disappointed."

That's why I included PlayOnLinux, so that people wouldn't have to use their brains to figure out how to run MS Software on it, and I included enough Open Source Software that users quickly realize they don't need their old MS Software any more. The trick is just getting them to use it. You don't have to tell them that they don't need MS Software, they figure that out when they switch. There are only a few programs that are written for Windows that don't have Linux counterparts that work.
jdixon

Sep 26, 2011
4:08 PM EDT
> jdixon: i think you are mixing something up.

In what way? The words as written say the success of a distribution can be measured by the number of its users.

Now, that may not be what the writer intends, but that's what the words he used mean.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 26, 2011
10:38 PM EDT
jdixon: i am not disputing that statement, i am disputing the conclusion you draw from it: you seem to say "if success is measured by numbers then everyone should use the most successful". i don't see how you can draw that conclusion.

greetings, eMBee.
patrokov

Sep 27, 2011
12:29 AM EDT
That website is an utter disaster. 1. All of the left hand links go to "category not defined" pages. 2. You have spam comments on your HOME PAGE!!!!!!!! 3. The HD blow you away link goes to an ugly flash site. nuff said. 4. The text site goes to page that looks nothing like the original. It has two FAQ links that do not go to the same page. Almost every link goes to random websites that make no sense.

That you have any users at all is a miracle. You don't need someone to design a site for you. YOU need to log in to PHP Fusion and: 1. Create posts in those categories. 2. Get rid of the HD and the text site. If there is anything of value in them, but it in Step 1. 3. Delete the spam comments.

THEN and only then, when you have done the bare minimum should you have the audacity to ask others to help you.
usacomputertec

Sep 27, 2011
2:03 AM EDT
Ladislav Bodnar just sent me an e-mail asking me to stop harassing him, and he blocked me from accessing his page from my IP, and thanks to a proxy (hidemyass) I discovered that he removed me from the waiting list. He said he never promised me anything.

03/18/2010 "Please be patient - your distro WILL be listed some day.

Ladislav"

His version of some day is never. Look at the list of distributions. He has ones submitted on 2004 that were never listed on his waiting list. When will he get to them? Never!

So I guess forget distrowatch.com If your looking for new distributions you might as well stick with Linuxtracker or other sites. :( It's sad because every time someone goes to his page he's making money on adds, he's making money from donations, but he isn't doing his job. He's getting paid because of linux users that browse his site, but he does not list any new distributions as far as I can tell.

Well everything will work out. I have enough success as it is. I'll just never get listed on Distrowatch.com
kikinovak

Sep 27, 2011
2:33 AM EDT
Thanks, Ladislav.
usacomputertec

Sep 27, 2011
2:38 AM EDT
"Many of Distrowatch's own reviews are not updated for years, and thus outdated." From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DistroWatch
jdixon

Sep 27, 2011
5:29 AM EDT
> i don't see how you can draw that conclusion.

If the standard for success is the number of users, what other conclusion should I draw?

However, you'll notice that I therefore reject that standard and propose another.
fewt

Sep 27, 2011
7:18 AM EDT
Ladislav, Jesse, Caitlyn, and other contributors to Distrowatch do the best they can. If your distribution became popular enough, it would get listed. Fuduntu was listed in 6 months, Bodhi in 2 (if I remember correctly). If your distribution is on the map and proving itself, they will add you.

Remember:

Quoting:The waiting list gives a new project time to mature. Given that a large number of newly created distributions don't survive beyond the first year of their existence, it gives the new project time to set up a proper infrastructure, including forums, mailing lists, documentation, bug tracking databases, etc. This normally takes some time, but once the project shows the commitment to putting these in place, their chances of listing on DistroWatch will increase exponentially. Nevertheless, be prepared for a long wait.

As for updating their data, they have updated Fuduntu the day it was released, twice.
flufferbeer

Sep 27, 2011
2:35 PM EDT
@usacomputrtec,

Good point just above. Seems to me that the old distros leave antiquated versions still listed for years (somehow, I'm thinking of Red Hat's pre-Fedora Linux 9.1?), and the Solaris versions also haunt around for many years. Meanwhile, I still see _EVERY_ RC/beta listed at DW for the major distros as well.... never stops!

2c
lcafiero

Sep 27, 2011
3:00 PM EDT
I'm with fewt here: I think that once you can prove to DistroWatch that you're a viable distro (like Fuduntu and Bodhi), then they'll list you. I think once you're in, you're in probably for life.

usacomputertec: It's been awhile since we've spoken, hasn't it? Let me give you some unsolicited advice that you can take or leave: First, I commend you for taking the initiative to start a distro, which is no small feat. I'm not going to go into the Web site, but you should probably consider a CMS like Drupal or WordPress, at least. At first glance, it appears that you might be aiming to do too much with this distro, spreading yourself too thin in all areas as a result. Also, don't be suckered into thinking that all criticism is negative -- people may blast what you're doing, but you might want to take a look at what they're saying to see if they're right.
macinnisrr

Sep 27, 2011
6:47 PM EDT
I develop Dream Studio (dream.dickmacinnis.com), and at first was also frustrated by not being listed on Distrowatch. It has, however, been a positive experience in the long run. Here's what the timeline was like for me:

Oct. 2010: first release of Dream Studio. I made a carefully worded press release which I sent to several relevant sites, like linuxaudio.org and distrowatch.com. Any of the forums I posted to showed my press releases, while I recieved an email from Ladislav at distrowatch letting me know how the inclusion process works. He suggested that I set up a forum for my distribution, and that even then, it would be a waiting game to have my distribution listed.

Nov. 2010: Dream Studio's second release is made available. At this point I've moved iso hosting to sourceforge because of their automatic md5sum system and mirroring. I've also created a simple drupal forum which is now the homepage for Dream Studio. I sent out press releases to several sites including Distrowatch and was still not included.

I remember clearly at some point between this release and the next feeling quite annoyed that I had not yet been listed on distrowatch, and had even drafted a (carefully worded) letter to distrowatch to address my complaints. As I always do, I saved this letter until I was cooler headed, re-read it, and decided it would be silly to send such a thing, as Distrowatch.com certainly owes me nothing.

August 2011: Dream Studio 11.04 is released, the subsequent press releases go out, and within 24 hours it is listed on the front page of Distrowatch. Downloads quadruple within two weeks. File hosting sites all over the web mirror the iso.

At this point I am incredibly happy I didn't send my letter of complaint, and instead thank everyone at Distrowatch for their support, as the publicity they've gained for my disribution is obvious and tremendous.

The moral of the story: I agree that it's funny to vent your complaints this way, and even sympathize wholeheartedly with the underlying message. However, complaining about being blacklisted now that you've put down the very media you were trying to entice with a story of your product is sour grapes. This would be the same with any media and any product. If you were to ask your local TV station to do a story on your store, and they declined politely, saying they may do one in the future, you're only shooting yourself in the foot to then turn around and complain about them before they get the chance to interview you. Remember, any news outlet doing a story on any product is basically free advertising, and nobody is entitled to that.

You have, however, gained a bit of publicity with this "story of the story" here on lxer.com, and for that I congratulate you!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!