Bravo!

Story: It's becoming their Internet -- it should be our InternetTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
phsolide

Nov 23, 2011
1:21 PM EDT
This is why I run my own HTTP server, SMTP server and so forth, from my basement, on my hardware, with FLOSS software. All things with no master! You have nothing to lose but your chains!
helios

Nov 23, 2011
2:06 PM EDT
Phsolide, your post joggled a thought loose....with the recent SOPA flap, how long is the rest of the world going to trust the US as keepers and some would say physical owners of the Internet? It may not happen in my lifetime but I can imagine a day where the EU or China decides that they've had enough of the United States of RIAA and just begin rebuilding it from the bottom up.
JaseP

Nov 23, 2011
3:11 PM EDT
Phsolide,...

What http server software are you running???

Thanks...
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 23, 2011
10:25 PM EDT
Apache ... Nginx ... thttpd ... go!
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2011
10:48 PM EDT
The greatest weakness is we do not control the wires.
Grishnakh

Nov 23, 2011
11:26 PM EDT
Running your own SMTP server isn't an option for many people, because their ISPs block that traffic (for good reason too: otherwise people would be setting up spam mailers all over the place). Same goes for HTTP, or worse: if your site has any real traffic, having it a residential ISP connection is just dumb as you don't have enough bandwidth and your reliability isn't as good as what you can get cheaply with a typical hosting plan.
jezuch

Nov 24, 2011
2:54 AM EDT
Quoting:The greatest weakness is we do not control the wires.

Debian's FreedomBox project wants to change it. The greatest weeknes with that, though, is that they'll have to do some serious research and development on mesh networks...
jdixon

Nov 24, 2011
12:58 PM EDT
> The greatest weakness is we do not control the wires.

In the final analysis, yes. But the more immediate threat are the domain registration and DNS systems. Those appear to be the current attack vectors.

Of course, if the law isn't written very carefully, it will trivial for a small group of activists to take any business of the net. I'm not sure Sony, et.al. have really thought this thing through.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!