Not True

Story: The Perfect Desktop - OpenSUSE 12.1 (GNOME)Total Replies: 7
Author Content
Grishnakh

Nov 25, 2011
8:39 PM EDT
Any distro featuring Gnome3 is NOT a full-fledged replacement for a Windows desktop. In fact, a Windows desktop is far preferable to the abomination that is Gnome3. Windows may suck, but at least you can get real work done with it (painfully), unlike Gnome3 where you can't do anything because it's just a glorified cellphone interface.

Of course, this may change when Windows 8 comes out, but for now, Windows 7 has both Gnome3 and Unity beat.

Remember the good ol' days when Linux was for smart people? Now for some reason the FOSS people just can't wait to cater to morons. It's a good thing we still have KDE, which still believes in a traditional UI for desktops instead of trying to force a dumbed-down cheap cellphone-copy UI on everyone.
gus3

Nov 25, 2011
9:29 PM EDT
Ooh, that's gonna leave a mark.
mbaehrlxer

Nov 25, 2011
9:33 PM EDT
but that's the point. we can tell everyone: why wait, ubuntu and gnome 3 already have what you'll be getting anyways. the future is now.

greetings, eMBee.
Fettoosh

Nov 26, 2011
10:14 AM EDT
Quoting:Remember the good ol' days when Linux was for smart people?

Your generalization is becoming ridiculously boring.

If you read the article, you will notice that the author lists a whole slew of applications, tools, & utilities, not just a DE. Besides GNOME !== Unity !== Linux

G3, Unity, KDE Active have their roles, uses, and users.

If G3 or Unity are not for you, that doesn't mean they aren't suitable or useful to others?

Isn't it time to let go?

skelband

Nov 27, 2011
9:18 PM EDT
@Fettoosh: You're missing the point.

If someone wants to experiment with a new desktop paradigm, then let them set up a new project and invite people to participate. I'm all for extra choice and experimentation.

Using Gnome for their radical experiments is just not on.

Even in Ubuntu, although Unity is supplied as the default, you can still opt for Gnome or KDE or whatever else takes your fancy.

For most of us, the Gnome option has just been taken away from us.
JaseP

Nov 28, 2011
11:31 AM EDT
I'm leaning towards LXDE/Lubuntu nowadays ... Ubuntu developer goodness, without all the crap or drama ...

Fettoosh

Nov 28, 2011
2:47 PM EDT
Quoting:For most of us, the Gnome option has just been taken away from us.

@skelband,

In many of my comments here on lxer about this subject, I always said that Ubuntu & GNOME made a major mistake. They didn't keep Gnome 2 classic interface as a fallback option for its users and should have done what KDE did with their classical and mobile/active plasma interfaces.

I should have repeated it here for those who missed them.

My point is, GNOME & Unity issue is water under the bridge. It is time to let it go because it is done with and no amount of complain is going to make right.

skelband

Nov 28, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
@Fettoosh:

I agree that the Gnome developers are very unlikely to change their stance on this issue.

However, I don't intend to let them off the hook for a very long time. They must pay for their transgression. Besides, with Mate and the Gnome 3 shell extensions that Mint are playing with, the issue is still a pretty hot topic.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!