ripoff

Story: Android Started Before iPhone: How True a Statement is That?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
djohnston

Nov 27, 2011
3:52 PM EDT
A true ripoff is when someone steals code and claims it as their own. This pervasive idea of claiming a UI design as a patent or copyright is nonsense. Maybe Steve never got the memo. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
JaseP

Nov 27, 2011
8:22 PM EDT
Don't you know that style can now be patented?!?! Everything can be now,... SCOTUS & USPTO have weakened the old rules to the point where you can get a patent for just about anything... I seriously think of taking a patent for "Method and design for aiding respiration with a rythmic oscillation, changing the internal dimension of a blood/air exchange device,"... that's right... BREATHING.
jsusanka

Nov 27, 2011
10:24 PM EDT
wasn't the palm pre with webos on the market before android and iphone from sprint?
tracyanne

Nov 28, 2011
12:49 AM EDT
I don't know about any of that, but Isaac Asmiov thought up the idea in a short story he wrote back in the 1940s.
tmx

Nov 28, 2011
3:26 AM EDT
@ JaseP This is actually more true than one may think: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20755-breast-cancer-ge... "the biotech industry, which has already patented 4000 human genes"
helios

Nov 28, 2011
5:40 AM EDT
"wasn't the palm pre with webos on the market before android and iphone from sprint?"

Yes it was but not by much....my daughter needed a smartphone and the announcement of an Android release was days away. She loves her pre with WebOS btw.
JaseP

Nov 28, 2011
11:21 AM EDT
@ tmx:

I know,... that's why I posted it... Did you know the rationale for the Court upholding the breast cancer gene patent?!?! They state that the gene does not exist independently in nature, so that the isolated gene is patentable ... NO, seriously ... That IS the rationale. Not like RNA exists or anything ... And computer software patents?!?! The rationale there is that the software "changes physical pathways in the computer" (I may be paraphrasing Court's opinion, just a bit). The Court sometimes employs legal fiction to get to a desired result, one they reach for economic or political reasons. When the Court employs the legal reasoning they are supposed to, it's usually on some arcane area nobody cares about, or an established area of law.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2011
12:35 AM EDT
All your ideas are belong to us -- big corporate America
ColonelPanik

Nov 30, 2011
3:20 PM EDT
OLPC is a great example of Corporate Greed. Intel and MostlySoft almost killed that wonderful machine. If three or four geeks had headed out to some Third-World country they could have done it local, faster, cheaper and with almost no restrictions.
JaseP

Dec 01, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
You are aware that part of Negroponte's motivation in creating the OLPC project was to do exactly what has occurred in the market, to create a demand for a low cost, good-enough, class of computer devices and have "The Machine" stand up & take notice, driving the prices down??? On the cheap Chinese import market, it's almost there... That Indian tablet is another example. The ASUS netbooks were an indirect response to OLPC.

Sure, OLPC has additional goals. They are; to reduce the cost barrier to third world children to be exposed to computers, to foster creative education techniques, to alter the "Net" to become more inclusive of all people (not just "the HAVES"), as well as to push networking technology in a positive and more populist direction (including its effects on culture & politics). But, making manufacturers stand up & take notice, and even compete, WAS an original goal of the project...
Fettoosh

Dec 01, 2011
4:56 PM EDT
Quoting:and have "The Machine" stand up & take notice, driving the prices down??? On the cheap Chinese import market, it's almost there...

In case you haven't seen this, I think the Raspberry PI board is going to be a major game changer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!