Desktop is not Dead

Story: Five Cloud Predictions for 2012Total Replies: 29
Author Content
Rodebian

Dec 01, 2011
10:21 AM EDT
People are assuming that with the Cloud it is going to kill desktop PC's. I think they are very wrong, for several reasons. Take email as an example. Many people have email accounts online, many people don't. Emails have been around for a long time to. Another example is that not all people are going to want all of their data online. Somethings are just going to be private. With netbooks and mobile devices it is just not the same as a desktop PC. Then you have programmers, people that use their pc's for media/tv/etc. And the list goes on.

While I will give in on one fact. The cloud is, sadly, here to stay for the average user. I really don't think the Desktop PC will die off at all. Broadband for mobile devices is outrageous. All had better pray that we have more options then those. Another reason why fighting bandwidth caps, throttling and supporting net neutrality is so very important. Can you imagine not being able to download a Linux distro because that would be most of your monthly bandwidth limit? Downloading games, downloading OS updates. Then on top of that if you use P2P for legal, open source software. Having it throttled or worse yet told it is illegal to use those programs. And not being able to go to your favorite blog because it is not on your ISP's approved list, or worse yet it is blocked for the same reason....

They have started doing these things, more with mobile devices. But they are pushing for it all. This is one reason they want the desktop PC to die. It is a thorn in their side and they can't control things as much as they can with mobile devices.

So, even if one loves the cloud or thinks it is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, I think in the big picture we should all be very careful. All of what I mentioned, and more, is all connected in the larger picture. We can't let them trick us into believing the future is only the Cloud!

Now personal opinions. I think the cloud for the average user is going to prove itself a disaster soon enough. Everyones data online... Wow. Hackers, governments and corporations dream come true.
Grishnakh

Dec 01, 2011
11:44 AM EDT
Nope, the desktop is dead. Very soon, there simply won't be any more desktop PCs, as they'll all be replaced by smartphones and tablets. Instead of cubicle workers using large-screen (or even dual-screen) desktops to work on large spreadsheets, write complex documents, or do complicated engineering CAD design, they'll all be doing this work on 10" handheld tablets with touchscreens. The graphic artists for the movie studios will stop using their large workstations for editing movies and doing state-of-the-art FX, and will use handheld tablets with touchscreens instead, or even just do this work on their smartphones. Computer programmers will all be using smartphones to enter their code and test it, OS programmers included.

Better get used to it folks, the desktop is dead. Go ahead and junk your PC now and switch to a smartphone for doing all your work.
JaseP

Dec 01, 2011
2:50 PM EDT
Do I detect a little sarcasm, maybe?!?!?!
Rodebian

Dec 01, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Grishnakh.... You putting it that way makes me feel like ending it all ;-) lol

Just had a thought. OS programmers on smartphones. THAT explains Microsoft Windows.
number6x

Dec 01, 2011
5:21 PM EDT
After I worked through the 'Rails for zombies' tutorials last year my desktop died and came back as a desktop of the living dead! (http://railsforzombies.org/)

It began shuffling around the room, sucking the valuable code from smart phones, tablets, watches, laptops and other still living computing devices. Left any Windows PC's alone. No nutritious code in them I guess.

My son made a trail of arduino projects to lead the undead monster away from the family while I jumped it from behind, grabbed the keyboard, killed X and was able to init to headless mode killing the beast for good.

It’s buried now at a nearby crossroads with salt in its ports and its drive bays duct taped over.

It’s not the dead desktops you have to worry about, it’s the undead ones!

BernardSwiss

Dec 01, 2011
8:05 PM EDT
@Grishnakh...

I'm pretty sure you meant that as sarcasm -- but I'm almost as sure some "forward-thinking" parties will come up with much the same thing as a "visionary" prescription, and do their level best to implement it (over all objections).
gus3

Dec 01, 2011
8:45 PM EDT
@Bernard:

You mean like Parrot and IP over Avian Carrier?
lcafiero

Dec 01, 2011
9:34 PM EDT
Yep, Grishnakh, let's see you use Blender on your iPhone. Go ahead. I'll wait.
dinotrac

Dec 01, 2011
9:46 PM EDT
@Grishnakh -

I agree. My Desktop sure is dead since I got my smartphone and tablet. I spend so much time playing Angry Birds that there's no time left over for work, so... no desktop needed.
gus3

Dec 01, 2011
10:58 PM EDT
The Desktop isn't dead. It just smells funny.

(Paraphrased from Frank Zappa.)
BernardSwiss

Dec 01, 2011
11:25 PM EDT
Now that you mention it, my current desktop sytem is based on the "Norwegian Blue" Linux distro.
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2011
3:30 AM EDT
My desktop is Ply-wood, indicating that is indeed dead tree.
nikkels

Dec 03, 2011
7:45 AM EDT
you guys don't get it, do you? Grishnakh just wants to convince every one, so that they throw away their desktops. Then, very secretly, he will start collecting them. He will even hire people to do the work for him. When he has collected all of them, he will apologize and tell you it was a mistake or a joke. Then you can buy them back at reduced priced. I know his tricks
montezuma

Dec 03, 2011
11:14 AM EDT
Gus,

I have a very nice "yellow snow" desktop thank you very much.
helios

Dec 03, 2011
11:27 AM EDT
Yeah, and Grishnakh is Only In It For The Money.
cr

Dec 03, 2011
12:24 PM EDT
@helios: And he'd Freakout if it wasn't Absolutely Free. Who are the Brain Police?
helios

Dec 03, 2011
12:39 PM EDT
Who are the Brain Police?

I'll take obscure Frank Zappa references for 500 Alex.

I hope you are happy Gus...you started this. I am a FZ enthusiast and can keep this going forever...or till Scott shuts the thread down sometime in 2014.

And if you can supply the last line of this verse without ducking/googling it, I will add you to my "Frank Zappa Changed My Life" Shrine:

Ronnie's in the Army now and Kenny's taking pills, Oh how they yearn, to see a bomber burn, Color flashing, thunder crashing, dynamite machine.....
ComputerBob

Dec 03, 2011
1:07 PM EDT
Quoting:I'll take obscure Frank Zappa references...
Is there such a thing as a non-obscure Frank Zappa reference?
cr

Dec 03, 2011
5:26 PM EDT
How clever of Zappa to sneak in a Harry Potter reference with the fire turning green...
cr

Dec 03, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
One of my favorite Zappa lines was spoken, not sung, to a live audience. It's on the Mothers album Weasels Ripped My Flesh:

"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform and don't kid yourself."
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2011
6:43 PM EDT
I was going to jump into the fray but my brown shoes wouldn't let me.
Fettoosh

Dec 03, 2011
6:51 PM EDT
Quoting:I was going to jump into the fray but my brown shoes wouldn't let me.

You've been kind of quite lately, isn't it time to get rid of this lazy shoe? :-)

helios

Dec 03, 2011
7:13 PM EDT
with the fire turning green...

Yep, a man truly ahead of his time....regardless of what dimension he currently resided.
gus3

Dec 03, 2011
7:55 PM EDT
@helios, I would but cr already beat me to it.

Oh ${DEITY}, what have I done?
cr

Dec 03, 2011
8:41 PM EDT
@dino: Brown shoes don't make it, huh... Don't worry, you'll get your status back, just follow the Duke.
jdixon

Dec 03, 2011
10:25 PM EDT
> Is there such a thing as a non-obscure Frank Zappa reference?

Yellow snow and Moon Unit. Other than that, probably not.
gus3

Dec 03, 2011
10:32 PM EDT
@jdixon, what about Dweezil, Ahmed, and the importance of second opinions?
jdixon

Dec 03, 2011
10:40 PM EDT
> ...what about Dweezil, Ahmed, and the importance of second opinions?

I don't think any of other kids ever made the impression Moon Unit did, Gus. I can't speak to the importance of second opinions since the reference is lost on me (I'm not a FZ enthusiast, though I do appreciate the originality of his work).
helios

Dec 03, 2011
11:38 PM EDT
Look....just look at the cover art work for "Weasels Rip My Flesh". That's all you need to know to get started in understanding Zappa....and believe me, you ARE starting on the shallow end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasels_Ripped_My_Flesh

Where's my waitress?

OPAL, YOU HOT LITTLE BI@@@!

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/frankzappa/lonesomecowboyburt...

Orange barrel and Frank Zappa albums can leave you more than inadequate for anything lesser than slobbering on yourself. You will recover....in time.

waiting....waiting.....
dinotrac

Dec 04, 2011
12:38 PM EDT
I'm still amazed that nobody's marketed an ED or cholesterol-lowering drug named Dweezil.

The "get busy/stay clean" for old folks in the know.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!