Whoopie?

Story: First Release Of Open-Source Blu-Ray LibraryTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Dec 11, 2011
10:45 PM EDT
My first reaction was that I should start watching for a Blue-Ray capable optical drive. But if I read this correctly, it's not actually going to let me watch Blue-Ray disks on my Linux desktop, any time soon.
techiem2

Dec 12, 2011
12:09 AM EDT
Guess I won't be plopping down $100 for a BR drive yet...
matthekc83

Dec 12, 2011
12:50 AM EDT
I rented a DVD the other day and it wouldn't play right... This DRM nonsense makes me not want to buy anything.
tracyanne

Dec 12, 2011
1:03 AM EDT
That's why I don't bother
helios

Dec 12, 2011
11:56 AM EDT
Yep TA....The difference between BlueRay and a regular DVD is negligable on my 27 inch NEC monitor. Plus it makes me watch stuff I don't want to watch in order to watch the stuff I do want to watch.

BlueRay is for the masses, not the techno-saavy. Cr@p, did I just write that aloud? I need to curb my L33t.
mrider

Dec 12, 2011
12:12 PM EDT
I don't know how many times I've said this - but if the content is cr@p, what difference does it make what the resolution is? And conversely, if the content is excellent, what difference does it make what the resolution is?

I can see wanting the super high resolution for nature programs, but what if one likes classic (read that as Black and White) movies, or other non-high -def content? What precisely is the point then?

I don't foresee a BR player in the household any time soon.
gus3

Dec 12, 2011
12:53 PM EDT
@helios:

Yeah, and you also said "cr@p". The proper spelling is "cr@p".
JaseP

Dec 12, 2011
1:49 PM EDT
I'm nearsighted, and don't bother with glasses since the prescription is so weak. But it makes the difference between 720p and 1080p a moot point much past 12 inches from a 42 inch screen. 720p versus DVD quality??? I can't tell... Can I tell the difference between DVD and 480p??? Sure, but not on the kids' cartoons. BR player/drive??? ... Only when I can no longer get content on DVD... Maybe by then we'll have playback in Linux all sorted out...
Grishnakh

Dec 12, 2011
2:11 PM EDT
@mrider: Super high-res is nice because it actually looks much better, and looks more like a real movie screen. Would you prefer to watch your movies on an old 12" CRT? As for "classic" (B+W) vs other, what difference does that make? B+W movies are no different than color movies; they look much better in HD. They didn't shoot B+W movies with videocassettes, you know, they used film. Ever notice that the new HDTV versions of the old Star Trek shows (the ones with Kirk) look much better than they used to? That's because all those old shows were shot with film. Film has higher resolution than even HD/Blu-Ray, so remastering stuff into this format still yields great benefits over the lousy NTSC resolution of regular DVD. It's the later (80s and 90s era) TV shows where you don't get this benefit, because a lot of that was shot on video rather than film like the old stuff. ST:TNG for instance had all the regular scenes shot on film, but then it was all remastered into video for the effects, so they're currently working on redoing all the effects on that show so they can re-release it in Blu-ray. Luckily, they did bother to shoot the camera scenes with film so this is possible; if they had been like many other shows and just shot everything with video, we'd be stuck with DVD resolution forever.

As for BD (not "BR") players, you don't need one of those to enjoy these high-res shows and movies. Just go to a site like http://torrentz.eu. But BD players are very nice to have, unless you've taken the time to build your own media player device. Most of the modern ones have built-in wi-fi and let you watch shows either from a USB drive or directly off your server, plus they have a Netflix app too. I have one and I use it all the time, although the actual BD drive never gets used. It's cheaper and easier than building a media PC (though not quite as flexible and certainly not as customizable), and much nicer than hooking a laptop up to your TV.

@JaseP: I'm pretty sure DVD and 480p are the same thing, so I don't know how you'd tell the difference between the two. On a decent screen (37" and up), it's very easy to tell the difference between 480p and 720p.
mrider

Dec 12, 2011
2:32 PM EDT
Quoting:Super high-res is nice because it actually looks much better, and looks more like a real movie screen.
Meh. Okay.

Quoting:Would you prefer to watch your movies on an old 12" CRT?
Depends on the distance to the screen. But again, if the content is good, then I don't care about the resolution.

Quoting:They didn't shoot B+W movies with videocassettes, you know, they used film.
True enough. But the negatives have been laying around for 50 or more years and aren't exactly in pristine condition.

Quoting:Ever notice that the new HDTV versions of the old Star Trek shows (the ones with Kirk) look much better than they used to?
Yes I have. So?

Look, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just not an "ooh, shiny" kind of person. As I say, the content is what matters, the screen resolution just doesn't matter to me.
tracyanne

Dec 12, 2011
4:59 PM EDT
tracyanne likes mrider
mrider

Dec 12, 2011
5:16 PM EDT
Quoting:tracyanne likes mrider
Well thank you! :)

Quoting:Would you prefer to watch your movies on an old 12" CRT?
Now that you mention it, I often times sit on the couch with my cr@ppy old Macbook (running Debian) on my knees. I put a pair of headphones on, and can watch stuff without disturbing the rest of the household. The resolution of the actual content I get is pretty low.

If what I'm watching entertains me, then the fact that it's pixelated doesn't bother me even slightly.
BernardSwiss

Dec 12, 2011
6:27 PM EDT
You mean, you care less about stuff like high definition and "special effects", than about stuff like plot, character and acting?

That's soooo passé.

JaseP

Dec 12, 2011
6:58 PM EDT
@ Gris,

You're right about DVD resolution,... but I was referring to SDTV of 480i (old broadcast resolution), versus the 720x480 progressive scan that you get off of a DVD. To illustrate what I mean, I have a full rez copy of Big Buck Bunny (1080p), which I use to showcase the capabilities of my system. But, frankly, once I'm a few feet back from the set, it wouldn't matter to me that it was at DVD resolution. Coupled with the anti-aliasing that you get from VLC, unless you have 20/20 vision, it's not going to matter once you're 6-10 feet back...

With cartoons, I typically reduce resolution to broadcast analog resolution, because you don't lose much. But I've seen HDTV broadcasts versus my ripped DVDs at their full resolution (I strip the black bars off), and while dramatic when 2-3 feet from the set,... It just doesn't add enough to the viewing experience versus what it takes up in storage space. I'd rather get 2 or 3 times the movies on my server than store them at high rez.

skelband

Dec 14, 2011
12:20 PM EDT
I'm going to add to this discussion a little.

Up until recently, I didn't care much about HD TV but last night I watched Being Erica (the last episode, <sob>) in HD on our 1080p LCD TV last night and I have to say that I can definitely see the difference. I can blow SD quality up to fill the screen, but apart from the pixellation caused by doing that (and quite possibly some lossy artifacts from Shaw Cable's awful compression of course), the fact that the TV is viewing at native resolution does actually make a big difference.

I find that lower than full resolution on an LCD screem does look blurry and puts me off, but then I do have excellent vision....

I don't have a BluRay player (or a PS3) and DVD quality is pretty good for me. The real issue with BluRay for most people is that is just isn't enough better than DVD to justify it which I think is why the sales have been pretty awful so far.
gus3

Dec 14, 2011
1:15 PM EDT
OT:

Scott, WTH, am I not allowed to mis-spell "cr@p"?

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
JaseP

Dec 14, 2011
2:42 PM EDT
@ skelband

Your last paragraph hit the nail on the head. Aside from a very few particular movies that I might want to see at higher rez, I just don't care enough to spend the money (or time) increasing the capabilities of my multimedia system. BR is still a PITA with Linux, or even any OS or even a component system (what with HDCP compliance and all). Massive expenditure of time, effort & cash for a marginal increase in viewing pleasure. Now, investing a modest amount in a sound system upgrade (sub-woofer, spdif optical output to the amp, etc.), ... THAT is more noticeable.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!