5 types of very annoying Linux bloggers

Story: 5 types of very annoying Linux usersTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
cmost

Dec 23, 2011
10:49 AM EDT
1. Writes an idiotic article about Linux users to make web bots think he writes serious articles about Linux 2. Blathers on and on about how great and wonderful *buntus are to the exclusion of other, better distros 3. Tries a distribution for five minutes in a virtual machine and considers himself an expert 4. Uses a distributions chosen theme, wallpaper or color scheme as a basis to subtract points during a "review" 5. Complains about FOSS technologies but never files a single bug report or makes a single contribution to the community.
Jeff91

Dec 23, 2011
1:04 PM EDT
Gah -

3.) and 5.) are super super annoying and very common practice.

~Jeff
flufferbeer

Dec 23, 2011
1:46 PM EDT
@cmost,

1) is the worst for me. It reminds me of Ken Hess with his tech expert WANNABE posts. 2) is a close 2nd for the worst, with all its *buntu focus ("oh but isnt it so great about the DIVERSITY of Linux distros; nobody is _forcing_ you to use *buntu!)

Although I wouldnt call *buntu "typical winbuntu" as linuxaria writes about, I'm certainly NEITHER "Anti Ubuntu" NOR a *buntu fanboi. And yes directed to *buntu fanbois and to maybe jeff91, I HAVE tried (but am no longer regularly using) *buntu or other *buntu-derived distros!

my 2c
herzeleid

Dec 23, 2011
3:57 PM EDT
I've gone through all the stages of distro-centrism, when whatever distro I was using was cool and everything else was crap. I'm tired of the games now. I've used all the major distros, and I can work with any of them to get the job done. I manage SLES, RHEL, Centos, Debian and Ubuntu servers for a living, and run ubuntu on my desktops and netbook. Well, mostly kubuntu, now that they've finally gotten kde 4 to a usable state.

I have to say, I find the ubuntu haters annoying, almost as annoying as the hard core microsoft fan boys.

Jeff91

Dec 23, 2011
4:16 PM EDT
I like Unix and like it or not Ubuntu and it's bases give the quick setup to a usable Unix desktop with the desktop of my choice.

Use what works.

~Jeff
herzeleid

Dec 23, 2011
6:04 PM EDT
Agreed Jeff91 - you said exactly what I was thinking but didn't say. For example what you've done with ubuntu + e17 is very cool.
JaseP

Dec 23, 2011
6:19 PM EDT
People have valid criticisms of any distribution, OS, DE, etc. Because, ultimately, all decisions about what to use fall down to personal choice. So articles that talk about the most simple and mundane things serve a useful purpose to a select segment of users. It puts the word out there. I have no problem with "Ubuntu does this or that" articles. If someone can find them, and finds them useful, great. Uf not, don't read 'em...
DrGeoffrey

Dec 23, 2011
6:26 PM EDT
OK, folks. If this breaks out into a group hug. . . I'm outa here.

"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member." - - Groucho Marx
tuxchick

Dec 23, 2011
9:15 PM EDT
ew ew hugs. Ick.
JaseP

Dec 23, 2011
10:27 PM EDT
I love hugs, from my 3 year old baby-girl that is,... everyone else can go pound.
gus3

Dec 23, 2011
10:39 PM EDT
((((tuxchick))))
tuxchick

Dec 23, 2011
11:05 PM EDT
Quoting:((((tuxchick))))

Can't breathe...and cooties...
gus3

Dec 24, 2011
7:41 AM EDT
My Christmas present to you. ;-)
dinotrac

Dec 24, 2011
8:37 AM EDT
@tc -

Sorry, kiddo. I tried getting some cootie-spray for you, but it's all been bought out for volunteers who'll be working on the upcoming Presidential and Congressional election campaigns.
helios

Dec 24, 2011
8:47 AM EDT
Dino....is that stuff effective against the SOPA virus?
dinotrac

Dec 24, 2011
11:39 AM EDT
@helios --

Unfortunately not, but we're working very hard on a human catch and never release live trap.

You set it in the middle of the Capitol building.

There's a dummy lobbyist in the middle flashing wads of cash. Once a Congress critter walks in, he or she is unable to get out.

Oh sure, any reasonably intelligent individual could get out in a heartbeat, but we're talking elected representatives here, so there's no problem.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 25, 2011
11:54 AM EDT
applying some lisp to free tuxchick:

(caaaar '((((tuxchick)))))
TUXCHICK

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!