Flash - how long will we still need it?

Story: Flash Player For Linux Will Be Supported On Chrome Only, What about Firefox, Opera? Total Replies: 9
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 22, 2012
4:07 PM EDT
As far as viewing video goes, we're getting closer and closer to not needing the Flash Player.

YouTube offers HTML 5 versions of much of its content. We can't see Netflix content at all due to the Silverlight dependency.

I'm a HEAVY watcher of Hulu right now, and it works very well in Linux. I'm pretty much using Google Chrome anyway for Hulu, so that shouldn't be a problem (for me anyway). I'm not sure whether Hulu is HTML 5 or plans on going that way.

I do use a few Flash-based, web-delivered applications, and that will be a problem. They already work worse in Linux than in Windows ... building a Flash app (i.e. interactive web-delivered app that is not just video) is lazy and user-hating.
vainrveenr

Feb 22, 2012
5:27 PM EDT
Quoting:As far as viewing video goes, we're getting closer and closer to not needing the Flash Player.
The latest beta release 0.8.10 of GNU Gnash is apparently successful for viewing YouTube videos. Further sources info on this gNice GNU Gnash gNews can be found at its download page http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/download.html

JaseP

Feb 22, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
Is Gnash able to sub for Hulu Desktop??? That's a bigger question. Note that the Nokia N900 has an app that spoofs the version ID of the flash utility, telling websites that it is a more recent version.
tracyanne

Feb 22, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
Personally I see no reason to be concerned
JaseP

Feb 22, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
If you don't use anything that uses flash, there's no reason to be concerned... But if you DO,... different story. No reason to panic right now, but there should be concern & questions.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 22, 2012
7:19 PM EDT
As much as we all talk about how bad Flash is, the Hulu.com viewing experience in Linux is very, very good.
caitlyn

Feb 22, 2012
7:20 PM EDT
Adobe's off-again, on-again, off-again support for Linux is nauseating. If anyone has a way of convincing web developers to use something other than Flash I'd love to hear about it.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 22, 2012
7:21 PM EDT
They brought back 64-bit support only to cut off the whole thing.
tracyanne

Feb 22, 2012
7:29 PM EDT
I use flash all the time, mostly youtube, but also any other site that has a flash video I might be interested. However i see no reason for concern. Abobe WILL support Flash 11.2 on all other browsers on Linux for the next 5 (FIVE) years, it's unlikely flash will be necessary after that.

Mostly this is something nothing.
Koriel

Feb 23, 2012
1:29 AM EDT
I use Flash 11.2 a lot, BBC, Hulu, and a host of other TV media sites unless these sites suddenly require Flash > 11.2 then I don't foresee much of a problem for myself.

As HTML5 now has proper fullscreen support I fully expect to see it rolled out more often, I do hope that sites like Hulu and the BBC will eventually move over to HTML5. Or maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!