Dumb review

Story: Xubuntu 12.04 with Xfce 4.8 - one giant leap and a mighty attractive desktopTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
cmost

May 06, 2012
10:21 AM EDT
I can't understand why some people exist. This so called reviewer booted up an Xubuntu live disk and then set about writing what amounted to a stream of conciousness "review" that included bellyaching about such superficial things as the default wallpaper, font settings and an application's "awful" name. Then he spends the rest of the review rambling about how "beautiful" the desktop is, yet fails to publish a single screenshot. This was probably among the most ADHD reviews I've ever seen.
mbaehrlxer

May 06, 2012
11:17 AM EDT
he actually seems to claim that all the included wallpapers are bad and as for that name, gigolo is really bad. check the explanation on http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/

gimp is very innocent and accidental in comparison.

greetings, eMBee.
mortenalver

May 06, 2012
4:52 PM EDT
It's not really advertised as a review, it's just a blog post...
ComputerBob

May 07, 2012
11:34 AM EDT
Quoting:It's not really advertised as a review, it's just a blog post...

I haven't read the article, but on the LXer home page, it says:

(Posted by Steven_Rosenber on May 6, 2012 1:51 AM EST) Story Type: Editorial, Reviews
tuxchick

May 07, 2012
11:50 AM EDT
So go yell at Steven, O overliteral complainers who never submit stories.
ComputerBob

May 07, 2012
12:15 PM EDT
My point was just that it was, in fact, "advertised a a review."

Like I said, I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's well-written or not, oh, oversensitive-and-inappropriately-personal-attacking one.
Fettoosh

May 07, 2012
12:29 PM EDT
OK, all reviews are personal and none are liked by all.

caitlyn

May 07, 2012
3:59 PM EDT
Quoting:My point was just that it was, in fact, "advertised a a review."
No, it was placed in the review category, which was the closest thing to an accurate category from the choices available to Steven. LXer has no categories for "filler" or "bird cage liner".
ComputerBob

May 07, 2012
4:57 PM EDT
Whatever - I don't really care - I don't have a dog in this fight.
mbaehrlxer

May 07, 2012
9:46 PM EDT
does anyone want to write an article on how to properly review a linux distribution? "so, you want to review a linux distribution? follow these simple steps ..."

greetings, eMBee.
Steven_Rosenber

May 07, 2012
10:21 PM EDT
I wrote the offensive non-review in question.

I checked the review box when I posted it to LXer.

It sort of is a review. It's a review of the live environment and my reaction to it. "Stream of consciousness"? That's pretty much how I live. What can I say?

It shows how I tested out things that are important to me in a system. I've even revised it based on some things I learned about Thunar and sftp today.

I'm not installing anything to anything at the moment, so I'm writing about what I am doing, which is "auditioning" these live images to see what I might want to actually install.

If I only wrote what I thought everybody would like, I'd probably never write anything.

When I decided long ago that -- especially when the pay is $0 -- that I was going to write what I wished, and it could be read or not, I started writing a whole lot more.

I, too, like to read -- and occasionally write -- a long review borne out of dozens of hours of installation, testing, success and failure, like my multipart DragonFlyBSD review:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=164872

But I can't always do that. Gotta make the doughnuts sometimes.

I welcome longer reviews of Xubuntu -- and anything else, for that matter. I'd love to read yours.

I might even write one myself.
tracyanne

May 07, 2012
10:44 PM EDT
well said SR
Steven_Rosenber

May 07, 2012
11:30 PM EDT
And I guess I'm not big on screenshots. I like to see 'em, but I rarely do them. Sorry.
Steven_Rosenber

May 08, 2012
11:39 AM EDT
Hey lovers and fighters, I just checked and this was the 700th story I've submitted to LXer. Despite the occasional blowback, this remains my No. 1 site for free-software news, spirited debate and "communitizing the community," as some might say.
ComputerBob

May 08, 2012
1:40 PM EDT
Steven, while I haven't read your 700th article, I generally find your writings to be informative and entertaining. Thanks.
Steven_Rosenber

May 08, 2012
3:34 PM EDT
All 700 aren't written by me. Every once in a while I post something else I find interesting.
caitlyn

May 08, 2012
6:08 PM EDT
Steven, I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't write what you want. I agree with your description that it's a "stream of consciousness" type post. I don't see that as a review but rather a personal sort of rambling. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't have wide appeal.
Steven_Rosenber

May 09, 2012
5:53 PM EDT
No worries, Caitlyn.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!