It will be interesting to see what comes of this

Story: FBI: We need wiretap-ready Web sites - nowTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 09, 2012
9:18 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see if such backdoors are required to be put in, and if any prosecutions come because of people "compiling from source" after removing said backdoors.

The PGP experience in the early 90s was an excellent example of a mild response to software that violated an esoteric law never actually enforced.

Living in interesting times, indeed.
JaseP

May 09, 2012
12:46 PM EDT
I cannot see this law coming into effect, as IMHO, it would be blatantly unconstitutional. First and Fifth Amendment issues are all over it.
tuxchick

May 09, 2012
12:50 PM EDT
JaseP, take a look at events since 9/11. The US Constitution hasn't been doing very well.
JaseP

May 09, 2012
12:56 PM EDT
We got GPS tagging licked...
jdixon

May 09, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
> I cannot see this law coming into effect, as IMHO, it would be blatantly unconstitutional.

How many laws have been overturned at the Supreme Court level just in the past 20 years?

The fact that a law is unconstitutional has seldom stopped our government from passing it before.
Khamul

May 09, 2012
1:40 PM EDT
@tuxchick: Your memory is much too short. The US Constitution hasn't been doing well for quite some time; the whole "war on drugs" has made the 4th Amendment null and void for instance (see what happens if cops find you carrying $100k in cash), and that's been going on for a little bit longer than I've been alive. I won't even get into the 9th and 10th.
tuxchick

May 09, 2012
1:59 PM EDT
Good points, Khamul.
djohnston

May 09, 2012
5:24 PM EDT
Quoting:The US Constitution hasn't been doing well for quite some time; the whole "war on drugs" has made the 4th Amendment null and void for instance (see what happens if cops find you carrying $100k in cash), and that's been going on for a little bit longer than I've been alive. I won't even get into the 9th and 10th.

Very, very good points. Just look at the 18th Amendment, later nullified by the 21st Amendment. Clause 1 of the 18th states:

Quoting:After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

It takes a Constitutional Amendment to legally abolish a substance.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!