Without giving away the details of my upcoming review...

Story: ROSA Marathon 2012 officially presented on May 14th, 2012Total Replies: 19
Author Content
caitlyn

May 15, 2012
1:05 PM EDT
This is a distro that could give Ubuntu a run for its money in terms of desktop mind share and market share.
claudecat

May 15, 2012
3:31 PM EDT
Looking forward to the review Caitlyn; in fact ROSA was among the distros I recommended on DW this week for attention. I'm hoping it will prove to be better than the latest Mandriva, which, for me at least, was a disappointment.
caitlyn

May 15, 2012
3:34 PM EDT
I agree with you about Mandriva 2011. ROSA Labs have been distancing themselves from Mandriva in more ways than one. One little hint: the drakxtools from Mandriva aren't in ROSA Desktop 2012. They are (with only one or two exceptions) completely gone.
JaseP

May 16, 2012
9:18 AM EDT
I'm actually more interested in their Rosa TV solution, which I'm guessing is a rebranding of MythTV or a VLC with VDR combination. But, their regular distro looks like a nice, clean KDE implementation.
GERGE

May 16, 2012
9:47 AM EDT
Before I download it, does it have Gnome 3.4 or 3.2?
JaseP

May 16, 2012
9:53 AM EDT
It's KDE...
GERGE

May 16, 2012
10:45 AM EDT
I am asking about repos.
JaseP

May 16, 2012
10:51 AM EDT
If someone has downloaded it, they could give you the location of the report servers, and you could search for the included file lists.
Fettoosh

May 16, 2012
11:34 AM EDT
@GERGE,

This should have some info. for you

RosaLab

Edited:

In case you missed it (it's on the same line as item 3 of may be in the future)

4. ROSA 2012 Marathon LiveCD Gnome Free Edition for i586 and x86_64 architectures.

Fettoosh

May 16, 2012
11:45 AM EDT
Hmmm, Is it time to start certifying Linux Distros?

gus3

May 16, 2012
12:11 PM EDT
Some of them are already certifiable.
Fettoosh

May 16, 2012
12:31 PM EDT
Quoting:Some of them are already certifiable.

True, and what I meant is "a clean bill of health".

I think It is becoming a necessity since not everyone is qualified, can, or able to do that.

GERGE

May 16, 2012
12:45 PM EDT
It says Gnome, I've seen that but there is no information about the version. That is what I am asking.

But I have learned it, ROSA has Gtk+ 2.24.5 so that means Gnome 2, right?
Fettoosh

May 16, 2012
1:00 PM EDT
Quoting:ROSA has Gtk+ 2.24.5 so that means Gnome 2, right?

Not necessarily, Gtk are tools & libraries per quote below, they could be used by both Gnome 2 & 3. Edited: But I believe there is a Gtk 3.0 that is used by Gnome 3.

Quoting:GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application suites.

caitlyn

May 16, 2012
1:19 PM EDT
As of now there is no GNOME in the repositories. If you want GNOME then ROSA is the wrong distro for you.
Koriel

May 16, 2012
1:23 PM EDT
But they are working on an LXDE version.

I tried the LXDE beta it was buggy but looked great, it will be one to watch.
caitlyn

May 16, 2012
1:26 PM EDT
I agree with you, Koriel. However, their latest blog post demoted the LXDE variant from an official version to a "community" version. As a company ROSA Labs is only supporting KDE.
caitlyn

May 16, 2012
1:04 PM EDT
@GERGE: The GNOME packages are now in the repository. It's GNOME 2.32. There is still no GNOME 3. I don't expect there will be.

They also have LXDE, Enlightenment, IceWM and WindowMaker packages. There is an Xfce folder as well but it isn't properly populated yet.
claudecat

May 16, 2012
6:53 PM EDT
Just installed ROSA - seems to be Mandriva 2011 without all the bugs and with a Russian accent (noticeable in Firefox at least). Looks good and stable so far, though not without some quirks.
caitlyn

May 16, 2012
8:41 PM EDT
ROSA has an awful lot of unique apps and design bits. As far as quirks are concerned, the bugs and issues I found were mainly related to the installer. Oh, and yes, the wrong default language/locale in Firefox. Once installed and configured it is very stable. One thing I did notice is that while the beta had a lot of Mandriva 2011 packages in the repository those have largely been replaced with updated ROSA 2012 packages. It's forked from Mandriva, yes, but it's fairly far removed from Mandriva 2011 at this point.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!