A bit of praise and appreciation

Story: Linux and FOSS Are Not SelfishTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
penguinist

Jun 13, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
I feel that I must join in to say that the "ultra-negative" attitudes of a vocal minority are starting to wear thin with me. Some praise and appreciation to those who are trying to advance our community would go a long way toward encouraging the very people whom we as a community would benefit from encouraging.

We need to think carefully about how our words build up or tear down those who read them.

Thank you Carla for bringing this to the forefront. I appreciate you.
helios

Jun 14, 2012
12:46 AM EDT
I agree fully...but it isn't a problem isolated within articles and authors.

I've noticed an escalating mean-spiritedness in these forums. Granted, normally it's only by a few and many of those have either been asked to leave or have been banned but regardless, I've noted a rise of personal attacks when various subjects have been discussed. Personally, I have grown weary of it and it's gotten to the point where I can almost tell from the various titles, if there is going to be a cat fight within that thread.

I have a rule I set for myself. I do not say anything to anyone within a forum or email, that I would not say to their face. It all comes down to being able to claim who is right. That has become increasingly unimportant to me and if I have to ratchet up the negative rhetoric in order to prove a point, then I've lost the argument before it starts.

Our emotions run hot when particular subjects are discussed, I know, but I don't think winning an argument is worth alienating someone you've know or have spent years building a relationship with. Most of us here have never met face to face. I will wonder out loud whether we would talk to one another like we do, had we ever met in person.

BernardSwiss

Jun 14, 2012
1:10 AM EDT
@helios

Good points.

Especially the last two paragraphs.
tuxchick

Jun 14, 2012
2:05 AM EDT
Good reminders all, thanks everyone.
JaseP

Jun 14, 2012
9:29 AM EDT
Ken has a very good point,... A lot of the civility has left the boards here. It seems many are attacking the messenger instead of the message. I also agree that one shouldn't say anything on the forums that you wouldn't say in person. You can disagree with someone, even on fundamental matters without it being a personal attack. Everyone one the forums should keep in mind the topic being discussed more so than the presenter. That doesn't mean you cannot disagree with the presenter's style, prose and/or viewpoint. It just means that you remember that it's not a keyboard at the other end,... it's a person AT a keyboard.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 14, 2012
2:06 PM EDT
I swear I do my best to keep it civil on our forums..:-(
jdixon

Jun 14, 2012
2:25 PM EDT
> I swear I do my best to keep it civil on our forums..:-(

You're not the problem, Scott. And yes, you have stepped in when necessary.
tuxchick

Jun 14, 2012
2:31 PM EDT
Scott swears!! (Always stop reading; it's quicker and more entertaining.)
flufferbeer

Jun 14, 2012
3:15 PM EDT
>> A lot of the civility has left the boards here. It seems many are attacking the messenger instead of the message...

@JaseP,

Even among today's top fifteen or so of the latest Discussion subjects, we can already see a negative-toned attack STARTED by a commentator (who I'll keep nameless for the time-being) directed right at "the messenger instead of the message" from the get-go. The Discussion thread is entitled 'Sam Varghese redefines "Open Source" based on his own terms' and unfortunately, I know that the commentator initiating this has started similar messenger-directed attack threads before!

Also among today's top fiften or so Discussion subjects, we can see a nice praise and appreciation message in the Discussion subject started by tuxchick, and entitled 'Varghese makes a good point'. It seems to me that tuxchick is trying her darndest here to do a positive job of countering some of the ultra-negative" attitudes here. Best of success! :)

My 2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!