This is what Mike Masnick had to say

Story: (ethics of paying for music) Letter to Emily White at NPR All Songs ConsideredTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2012
5:48 AM EDT
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120619/11493419390/david-...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120220/00310917802/if-you...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120625/01250519456/free-c...

Quoting: His (David Lowery) letter to Emily is both right and wrong. He exaggerates what Emily actually said, and paints her as some massive pirate, despite the fact that she doesn't use file sharing networks and the gist of her blog post at NPR was basically that she and her generation just don't see the point of "owning" music any more since it's so widely available. Access, not ownership, as they say. But to Lowery, that appears to be a huge sin, because the way a few musicians made money in the past was to sell music, and thus, forever must it be the same.

1/ In other words Emily White has not obtained her music from "illegal" file sharing sources

2/Inspite of this David Lowery makes her out to be a "pirate" anyway

Mike Masnick is a very informed author on copyright and the copyright industry. he was consulted on the SOPA/PIPA legislation, and was involved in debate with RIAA Lawyers.
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2012
6:10 AM EDT
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120625/01011219455/some-f...

Quoting:I know we've written a few times now about David Lowery's now infamous shaming of an intern because she apparently doesn't give him enough of her money, but that story keeps getting attention. Thankfully, a lot of that attention comes in the form of people from all over the music business popping up to explain (1) how Lowery's factual claims are false , (2) his ethical claims are silly and (3) it's time to get with the future, rather than pine for a mythical past that never existed.
JaseP

Jun 29, 2012
10:23 AM EDT
I'm a big fan of Techdirt,... They always publish the stories the major media outlets hide, bury or run from. The comments are colorful too...
mbaehrlxer

Jun 29, 2012
10:57 AM EDT
thank you for those links. i didn't quite know what to make of that article. i posted it here to get some perspective on it and because i think the issue is worth discussing. i am not disappointed.

now i wish there was something in the body part of the post to make people who click the link notice the discussion. is it possible to add a blurb to point readers to this thread?

greetings, eMBee.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 29, 2012
11:51 AM EDT
Discussion threads are linked below the post on the LXer page.
theBeez

Jun 29, 2012
12:38 PM EDT
It's the SOFUD. Pose with the pitiful artists and protect the industry. As I've proven numerous times, artists do not benefit from the industry - apart from a few ones. He tries to cover it up, but most do not get a dime (even the successful ones) until their third album - all because of "investments" and "loans". Most are ripped from their proper copyrights - it was you who signed the contract, didn't you - because it is either that or no contract at all.

Yes, although he tries to cover that up as well, most tours are quite lucrative for artists. As a matter of fact, just look how much Madonna cashes. And even a "little artist" like Hans Dulfer makes most money of his tours. He even gives away his music for almost free (just pay for the memory stick). Contrary to what this guy tries to make you believe, he uses these sticks TO PROMOTE HIS TOURS, not the other way around.

And there is another fallacy in his writings: if PirateBay and others make so much profit by giving stuff away, why doesn't the industry (or the artist themselves) cash that money by giving music away?

BTW, it's the industry that makes itself highly popular by censoring the internet, lobbying for laws like PIPA, SOPA and whatever. It's the industry that has ripped off their clients and their artist by keeping CD prices ridiculously high (yes, you have to pay for the CD technology for a while - but then prices will drop to the old level). Well, 15-20 euro's for a new album (or even more) is not significantly less than I paid in 1985 - even if you take inflation into consideration. Note, each sale will bring 5% of that amount into the artist pockets - if they don't have to payback for any "investments".

Add to that all scandals we recently had with our local Dutch equivalents of RIAA and MPAA and I cannot find myself mourning for either artists or industry. It's a simple question of economics: if you can't make it as an artist, get a job. Yes, I thought too it was cool to be a writer or a photographer when I was younger. But I was probably not as good at it as I had to be to make a living. That's how it is. Like the writer himself admits: very few albums make money. That's not gonna change. Still, I don't see Lady Gaga begging on the street.
Koriel

Jun 29, 2012
2:21 PM EDT
Make money by their third album? They must be real lucky.

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark say they did not make a penny until their sixth or seventh album. They used to be on Dindisc a Virgin subsiduary.

They have now shunned the mainstream record industry and one of their tracks on History of Modern (latest album), New Babies: New Toys is all about said crappy record industry.

Listen to how they feel about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2PdbbbI4c

Now I just have to wait for their forthcoming album English Electric to appear to satisfy my OMD habit.

mbaehrlxer

Jun 30, 2012
11:42 AM EDT
steven: only on the front page. but the rss feed or any syndicated feed does not include a link to the discussion. however if the body contains some text then the link in the feeds links to that post with body and a link to the discussion.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!