No reply expected. Thanks :-)
tracyanne

Jul 24, 2012
3:13 AM EDT
At this rate Linux will own computing in 6 months
caitlyn

Jul 24, 2012
7:04 AM EDT
The 1% and 2% numbers are a joke. The fact that they keep being repeated is truly sad.
JaseP

Jul 24, 2012
8:51 AM EDT
@Caityn:

Totally agreed. Steve Ballmer put Linux adoption at slightly more than that of Apple in 2009, which would be about 6-7%... And those were THEIR figures and research, internal. I am willing to concede about 1% for overlap (dual booting, etc.), and call it 6%,... and for Apple call it 8%, due to recent growth as a fallout of iPad adoption (and similar overlap dropping down from a reported 10%),... That means WinX adoption is 86% of the desktop market.

But figures of 90%+ are fanciful and the product of calling every computer SOLD with Windows as a Windows user. I have thirteen x86 compatible machines in my home, only one runs Windows (ironically it was ine that came with Linux, a Pepperpad 3). One laptop also boots a Windows virtual machine image. I use a Windows workstation at work. Nine or ten of the machines came running Windows,... Yet, MS would count each and every one of those 9-10 machines as an MS user, as well as the one machine now running Windows and the virtual machines as Windows users,... meaning, according to (how I interpret) them, my household would be 12::2 in favor of Windows in adoption... Nevermind that I've downloaded about 55 distros over the last 10-12 years (probably not counting Android or Chromium OS versions).

Figures don't lie,... but liars figure.
nikkels

Jul 24, 2012
10:41 AM EDT
.....................................Totally agreed. Steve Ballmer put Linux adoption at slightly more than that of Apple in 2009...................................

JaseP

I know exactly what you are talking about, as I have seen the article as well. But......they were talking about << market penetration >>, I believe. Is Linux market penetration the same as linux market share.

Linux market penetration could be understood as < ALL kinds of linux > . Market share could well be understood and referring to as < desktop and business only >, leaving out science and supercomputers, big or small.

I do not bring it up to argue with anyone, but I also would like to know exactly what we are talking about........share....?...penetration ..?...

Anyone with enough grey matter to make this clear to me ? I hate it when I say...: Stebe put linux....at 10% , and someone else start arguing with me. I hate it ! I love short fights :-) , not long ones.

Thanks in advance. nikkels
nikkels

Jul 24, 2012
10:46 AM EDT
OK, as always, I find answers to my questions 5 minutes after I posted them on the net. I must stop that habit !!! found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption
Fettoosh

Jul 24, 2012
11:17 AM EDT
@nikkels,

Very substantial and informative article that everyone should read and use as a reference when debating Linux adoption.

Thank you.

Scott_Ruecker

Jul 24, 2012
3:50 PM EDT
I am happy that we are actually talking about Linux taking more of the market, an actual piece of the market..no matter what size of or percent it is..

JaseP

Jul 24, 2012
6:15 PM EDT
I'd just like to point out one thing... If Linux adoption or market share or what have you can double, seemingly over-night,... then obviously those have to be false numbers... It doesn't jive with reality that Linux use would go up by 100% over the course of a month...

The only reasonable conclusion is that the measured Linux use is a subset of the actual Linux use...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!