Absurdity EEX 10

Story: Apple v. Samsung juror: we wanted to send a messageTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
notbob

Aug 27, 2012
8:42 AM EDT
This entire fiasco is totally beyond belief. How a patent for a rectangle with rounded corners ever got issued in the first place is sheer lunacy. How many other things use this simple ancient concept? I seem to recall Palms had rounded corners. I even have a spiral bound paper notepad ....yep! Rectangular with rounded corners. The entire copyright/patent situation in this country has run amok. We're running out of oil. the planet is becoming a fry pan, and we've dumped so much toxic garbage in our nest it's killing us, yet we can spend billions pissing over a rounded corner on a piece of plastic. Un-belieeeevable! The human race really does need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Have a nice day. ;)

JaseP

Aug 27, 2012
10:19 AM EDT
And the message the juror will end up sending??? ... Take your hardware/software development jobs, and ship them overseas... I'm not sure that was the message he wanted to send...
skelband

Aug 27, 2012
12:03 PM EDT
The Groklaw coverage is a bit more nuanced, as usual.

Interestingly, the telling comments from jurors outside the court is giving Samsung all they need to appeal. It indeed sounds like one of the jurors, himself a patent holder, was telling reporters that he wanted to give it to Samsung on behalf of other patent holders. Hardly an unbiased, even handed comment if ever there was one. It's like having the father of a rape victim in the jury of a rape case.

Somehow, this only sounds like Round 1.
BernardSwiss

Aug 27, 2012
4:38 PM EDT
To top it off, look at the guy's patent -- it has "obvious", "trivial" and "prior art" stamped all over it

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=H...

(basically, just a DVR or HTPC)

But this was the guy the other jurors credit with having clarified things for them, on the basis of his experience as an actual patent holder. {groan}

Fettoosh

Aug 27, 2012
5:25 PM EDT
Quoting:It's like having the father of a rape victim in the jury of a rape case.

Didn't Samsung lawyers have the chance to remove such a juror? Or they forgot to ask the question if any of the jurors favor, support or have any patents?

skelband

Aug 27, 2012
5:38 PM EDT
@Fettoosh:

Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Fettoosh

Aug 27, 2012
6:35 PM EDT
Yea, it make me wonder whether the lawyers were planing on appeal all along for more money or they are so incompetent Samsung ought to replace them even though it is not advisable at this point.

BernardSwiss

Aug 27, 2012
8:57 PM EDT
Apple/Samsung Jurors Admit They Finished Quickly By Ignoring Prior Art & Other Key Factors http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120826/23534320161/apples...

Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture? ~pj Updated 4Xs http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!