First Trojan in history to steal Linux passwords

Story: Meet Linux VirusesTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
henke54

Aug 28, 2012
4:08 AM EDT
Quoting:Russian anti-virus company Doctor Web is reporting the emergence of the first cross-platform backdoor to run under Linux and Mac OS X. This malicious program is designed to steal passwords stored by a number of popular Internet applications. BackDoor.Wirenet.1 is the first such Trojan capable of running under any of these operating systems.
http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=2679&lng=en&c=14
tuxchick

Aug 28, 2012
1:09 PM EDT
So they can't say how it spreads, but they can prescribe the cure, which by sheer coincidence is their own product.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 28, 2012
1:47 PM EDT
Sounds "made to order", as it were.
JaseP

Aug 28, 2012
2:14 PM EDT
I was thinking the same thing,... plus,... not to be racist/anti-nationalist or anything, but they are Russians,... and it's like the "wild west" over there. No info on this thing save some vague references to the original press release and some articles in Russian publications...

If you wanted my guess,... I'd bet this is a trojan/phishing attack thing. Personally, I'd want stats and info before I worry at all about it...
Fettoosh

Aug 28, 2012
3:44 PM EDT
Quoting:So they can't say how it spreads

Probably because it is spread via the cure! :-)

gus3

Aug 29, 2012
5:19 PM EDT
Spread by a bad rock group?

Sounds like most social network diseases...
BernardSwiss

Aug 29, 2012
6:15 PM EDT
I interpreted this to be some java or flash similar program that steals passwords from browsers, etc

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!