For me the most important aspect of a custom ROM

Story: Legitimizing Android ROMs with Over the Air UpdatesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 03, 2012
8:12 AM EDT
would be the ability to be able to choose not to use Google services.

The fact that I would be forced to use Gmail and other Google services is one of the major reasons I won't purchase another smart phone.

Does any use a modded smartphone?
gus3

Sep 03, 2012
2:01 PM EDT
I have two, one with CyanogenMod 7.2 and one with stock Android 2.2 (Froyo, I think). Neither phone is in active service ATM, for monetary reasons. (I also have a tablet, but let's not go there.)

Nobody is "forced" to use Gmail. The only required Google sign-on is for software updates. Background sync can be disabled for all services, including Gmail. You can use Yahoo email if you want, and totally ignore Gmail. Individual apps, usually free (gratis) apps, may require that you be signed in with Google, for their ad support.

If you want to skip Google store, you can, but bear in mind you probably should get security updates.
tracyanne

Sep 03, 2012
6:13 PM EDT
can you remove the GMail app?
gus3

Sep 04, 2012
11:29 AM EDT
Remove, I don't think so. But you can block the auto-sync so it never really does anything.

I'm typing this on CM7.2 and it doesn't have Gmail.
JaseP

Sep 04, 2012
11:34 AM EDT
Quoting: Q: can you remove the GMail app?

A: Remove, I don't think so. But you can block the auto-sync so it never really does anything.

Not correct. If you root the phone, and make the system area read/write enabled, you can remove the Gmail app. I don't know if that'll break other things, though.
gus3

Sep 04, 2012
2:00 PM EDT
Well, yes, anything goes on a rooted phone, but if you break it, you get to keep both pieces...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!