Very disappointing !

Story: Should the root account be disabled in Fedora 18?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
nmset

Sep 20, 2012
1:28 PM EDT
Mimic Mac OSX. After having signed their bootloader, kernel and modules by M$, next step will be to require every sys admin to be certified by NSA/CIA !
ABCC

Sep 20, 2012
3:54 PM EDT
Pffft...

Mimic Ubuntu,who have always done this.
penguinist

Sep 20, 2012
4:26 PM EDT
In Ubuntu it is a 'one-liner' to give yourself a full fledged root account:

sudo passwd root

I suspect it will be the same for other distros that go this route.

I take this as an intelligence test. If a user can't handle a one-liner root promotion, then that user probably needs some protection from him/herself.

I'm ok with this. It's not a lockout, it's just a systematic way of saying "are you really sure you want to do this".
JaseP

Sep 20, 2012
4:34 PM EDT
Penguinist is right,... It's a safer way to release the distro...
kikinovak

Sep 20, 2012
5:15 PM EDT
Changes in Fedora 18:

- /usr/lib/ migrates to /usr/lab - /root becomes /lennart - The new PulseVideo server - already working with some video cards - replaces X.org
nmset

Sep 21, 2012
4:18 AM EDT
Should users be protected from deleting their own data ? It's far more serious than breaking a system ! Treating users as dummies doesn't help them. The Linux desktop/system, for home users in particular, is being geared in a wrong direction, with 'innovations' like journald and its binary log data, Wayland lacking network transparency natively while Linux was born on the network, installers defaulting to wiping a whole disk without proposing creation of system and data partitions, distros signing everything by M$... what else is to come ? xBSDs may become more popular in some near future !

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!