zorin Linux

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2012
9:41 PM EDT
I installed zorin today, on a test machine single core 2 gig, with 1 gig of RAM. Zorin seems pretty responsive on this machine.

There's not really a lot to say about zorin, it's an Ubuntu based distribution with AWN in place of Unity. It looks really slick, the menu system, Gno-menu sort of looks a bit like the Windows XP/vista/7 menu. I'd say it's Ubuntu done right.

What else? Chrome is the default browser, there's a Windows like browser chooser, should you prefer a different browser. samba is installed and configured to access any smb/cifs netswork, and WINE to install thos really important Windows apps.
caitlyn

Sep 22, 2012
11:19 PM EDT
I thought Mint was "Ubuntu done right."
tracyanne

Sep 23, 2012
12:33 AM EDT
Probably a lot of Ubuntu derivatives are Ubuntu done right. It's just that Zorin has all the stuff Ubuntu has - Ubuntu software centre, with Free and Comercial software, plus Ubuntu One, plus the Amazon store inegration etc - by default, plus a really slick professional looking desktop.
jdixon

Sep 23, 2012
11:12 AM EDT
Sounds like the Ubuntu equivalent of Vector Linux for Slackware.
caitlyn

Oct 11, 2012
11:16 AM EDT
@jdixon: Vector Linux or SalixOS? SalixOS is closer to Slackware (very few packages replaced, uses Slackware repositories) but it has all of what I consider the missing pieces that I want but which Slackware doesn't include. Vector is a bit bigger on user friendly GUI tools but SalixOS is no slouch in that area.

@tracyanne: I just find it really hard to get excited about Ubuntu and derivatives nowadays.
jdixon

Oct 11, 2012
11:29 AM EDT
> Vector Linux or SalixOS?

Zorin tries to drive you to the pay versions the same way Vector did, Caitlyn (only even more so, AFAICT). Salix doesn't do that.
caitlyn

Oct 11, 2012
11:41 AM EDT
SalixOS doesn't have paid versions. AFAICT Vector only does that on the website. There is nothing in VL Standard that pushes you to run a paid version.
jdixon

Oct 11, 2012
8:48 PM EDT
> SalixOS doesn't have paid versions.

Correct. I didn't intend to imply that they did.

> AFAICT Vector only does that on the website

Also correct. I believe Zorin is the same way. Their website tries to push their paid versions, but I don't think there's anything in the OS which does.

It's not that I think there's anything wrong with either marketing effort. They just remind me of each other.

You cannot post until you login.