I'm waiting for a review of an imperfect server

Story: The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 12.10 (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)Total Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2012
3:24 PM EDT
After all, if the title says it's perfect I already know the point of the review, right?
penguinist

Oct 24, 2012
4:06 PM EDT
caitlyn I think you misunderstand the objective of the HowToForge "perfect" series.

These HowTos show how to "perfect" a system. In other words, the basic installation of a particular distribution doesn't leave the system in a state where it is ready to take on a particular mission. That comes by installing additional packages and applying some tweaks.

The HowToForge author is explaining in this tutorial how to take an Ubuntu 12.10 installation and to perfect it so that it can take on the mission of "Server".
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2012
4:43 PM EDT
Quoting:how to take an Ubuntu 12.10 installation and to perfect it so that it can take on the mission of "Server".
Mission impossible? Seriously, a six month release for a server?

Note to the Ubuntu fans: No, this isn't a critiism of Ubuntu as a server per se. The LTS release may be appropriate. I don't see how a six month release can be.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 24, 2012
6:03 PM EDT
Some people are OK upgrading every six months ... and you can let Ubuntu ride for 18 months between upgrades; a year doesn't seem unreasonable.
JaseP

Oct 25, 2012
8:37 AM EDT
Personally, if I were to go with a Debian based server,... It would be,... well,... Debian. I agree that a six month, 18 month to end-of-life release is inappropriate for a server environment. At that point you might as well go with Debian unstable,... as a rolling or pseudo rolling release (some don't consider unstable to be a truly rolling release), and the basis for Ubuntu anyway... As an admin, you'd just have to keep an eye on packages a bit more carefully.
jdixon

Oct 25, 2012
10:17 AM EDT
> I'm waiting for a review of an imperfect server

I could write up a review of the Slackware file server at our house, Caitlyn. :)
hunky

Oct 25, 2012
1:06 PM EDT
Plenty of Windows server reviews out there.. ;-)
gus3

Oct 25, 2012
6:34 PM EDT
Hurd?

BSD?
JaseP

Oct 26, 2012
8:53 AM EDT
Hey, nothing wrong with BSD servers,... When they work they work. Tremendous uptime there... And I know what will come next, ... so I'll beat you to the punch,... Sure, it's old tech, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!