wiggle the mouse

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
number6x

Nov 16, 2012
9:21 AM EDT
Back in the day, the days of Red hat 4.x, during an install you used to be instructed to wiggle your mouse for about 30 seconds.

Does anyone remember the purpose of that?

Was it part of mouse detection, or was it to generate random noise for some key?

I can't remember.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 16, 2012
9:57 AM EDT
I was one way the randomization for encryption keys was generated. I can't be certain that was the reason, since I didn't use RedHat until the 6 or 7 days.
notbob

Nov 16, 2012
10:27 AM EDT
As I recall, it was to map the x and y axis of yer mouse in relation to movement of the cursor across yer screen ....or something along those lines.
number6x

Nov 16, 2012
10:58 AM EDT
Thanks guys.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 16, 2012
2:47 PM EDT
I've seen randomness via mouse movement a few times.
gus3

Nov 16, 2012
3:07 PM EDT
It was entropy generation for /dev/random. Since the installer is full-screen in both text and GUI modes, merely moving the mouse changes no input state.

Mapping the mouse cursor on the screen is a multiple "click here" experiment.
number6x

Nov 16, 2012
4:01 PM EDT
Thanks again

I could find old install instructions, but none listed the mouse thing. I clearly remembered doing it, but could not remember why.

It bothered me.

I should get used to this as I am getting officially 'old' this weekend after 50 trips around the sun.
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2012
6:28 PM EDT
It was to detect the mouse. I remember it clearly-- it was a necessary step in most Linux installations back in the stone tools era.
notbob

Nov 17, 2012
10:20 AM EDT
gus3 wrote:Mapping the mouse cursor on the screen is a multiple "click here" experiment.

Oh yeah..."move to edge of screen and click" something-or-other. Geez!... who remembers that?

What are you? Young? ;)

You cannot post until you login.