For me, a part reason is simplicity..

Story: The incredible persistance of emailTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 19, 2012
6:36 PM EDT
But there's more. You can attach documents/images/videos to the email, you can fire an email to a specific group, and it can be as personal as you wish without the feeling that you are shouting your personal matters to the world for general discussion. There are no adverts, no "advice on how much you might like to go here, or buy this, or people who have bought this book/dvd/film/coat/shoes often buy this as well".......And personally, I like email. Oh sure, you may be able to do all of the above with other methods, but if something is working so well, and it does what you want, why change ? Email i's simple, very effective and doesn't try to hide the fact that it's really something else - like a marketing tool for multinational corporations. In my books, "Long Live the Email".
tracyanne

Nov 19, 2012
7:21 PM EDT
The other thing about email, is you aren't putting it up on some website for the world to read. Sometimes you just want to have a conversation with 1 person, and email is way better.

On the other hand I notice that most of the general public, the non techie social users of computers and the internet, that I run into, actually prefer to share using email, rather than facebook and other social websites.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 19, 2012
7:48 PM EDT
E-mail is just a protocol. It's the applications we use to deal with it that are old and broken.
Ridcully

Nov 19, 2012
8:01 PM EDT
@Steven_Rosenber.........and not always "old" but so often broken.........The best example is KMail in KDE4. It works great up to and including KDE4.6.......the developers then did things that, as far as I am concerned, broke it completely for convenience and simplicity. But - I've said this before.
BernardSwiss

Nov 19, 2012
8:07 PM EDT
The article was hardly calling for the death of email -- it merely suggested that many corporate communications tasks would be better served by various group/collaborative tools (woop-dee-doo), and hammered on the point that "higher-ups" could promote this by setting an example. (no doubt because this group is often the one most resistant to change?).

The article actually said very little; but it managed to bring in a lot of supporting quotes from suppliers (ie. vendors) of alternative communications/collaborative technologies.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 20, 2012
9:41 AM EDT
Ridcully, that is the one application that, honestly, keeps me using Trinity (KDE3).
dinotrac

Nov 20, 2012
12:26 PM EDT
All:

I have an opportunity that can make you all rich. It so happens that a Nigerian prince considers me to be extremely trustworthy. He wants me to hold $25 million of his money in my bank account. I've already got the check in my hand, but I've got to send him a small pittance (say, $5,000) in American funds to handle some international fees or something like that. He'll give me $5 mil for helping him out, and I'm willing to split that with anybody who sends me $5,000 to get this sweetheart of a deal rolling.

Who's in?
Bob_Robertson

Nov 20, 2012
12:35 PM EDT
Sounds great. Where do I send my banking information so we can do this transfer?
TxtEdMacs

Nov 20, 2012
3:00 PM EDT
dino,

Such a deal I just cannot allow to pass by. Where do I send Bob Robertson's account numbers, passwords and hint phrases for recovery? Since you are the initiator of this deal, I suggest 3:2 split in your favor and I will share my gain with Bob (as we are using his funds) as part of my responsibility.

As always,

YBT
Ridcully

Nov 20, 2012
5:55 PM EDT
@Bob_Robertson......Interesting. I had a look at Trinity KDE myself last week, running on Ubuntu. It was a live CD and it loaded quite nicely and ran. It's KDE all right, but my jaw hit the deck when I selected the menu button and got more choices and options than I have ever seen anywhere.....I mean, I have used KDE now for 10 years and am used to swapping between classic and "something fancy" interfaces, but even I got overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of that enormous start menu.....I'll give it another go, but that first look just about blew me away.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 20, 2012
6:14 PM EDT
Ridcully, that's what happens when the LiveCD is loaded with everything that's available.

I would very much like to have the latest K3b, there has been progress in that regard. But so long as the abomination now known as Kmail comes with it, I'll take Trinity.

Edit: Indeed, just a typo. But this is the Internet, where would we be without "reading into" the slightest things? :^)
helios

Nov 20, 2012
6:18 PM EDT
Bob, I am one of those "bad boys" that runs a more than a few KDE apps in Gnome. If you are careful, things won't get borked too bad. I've had it happen when I try to run too many in Gnome. But, that being said, kb3 absolutely rocks and I don't know if there is another burning app that can come close to it. I've tried a bunch of them, even in Windows but they pale badly. I am a huge fan of Ktorrent as well.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 20, 2012
7:23 PM EDT
I never used Google Wave, but an attempt to take e-mail and cast it in a new light is something I support.
Ridcully

Nov 21, 2012
2:57 AM EDT
Hey, Bob_Robertson, I "represent" that.......fancy calling me "Rudcully" as you did above........You are equating me with Mr Kevin Rudd, and while I may be a grouchy old coot, a copy of Rudd, I definitely don't wanna be - my back is already wincing from possible knives. LOL. Tracyanne will see the humour in the situation too. Australian politics at its worst. (Oh yes, "u" is beside "i"........I do the same thing myself on occasion.)
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2012
5:34 AM EDT
I never took you for a Ruddite Tony.
Ridcully

Nov 21, 2012
5:45 AM EDT
Ooooooooo......Tracyanne.......to quote a "wascally gwey wabbit": "Of course you realise this means war ?" LOL in spades.
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2012
5:53 AM EDT
In Spades eh, well I have the jack of clubs, the jack of spades and the joker, I win
Ridcully

Nov 21, 2012
6:17 AM EDT
Ahhhhhhhhhhh............so THAT'S why you were wearing long sleeves............I'm taking this to the High Court.
jdixon

Nov 21, 2012
8:47 AM EDT
Hmm. Aussies playing poker. I think you could have a winning PC casual game there. Write it in Python so you can release it for both Windows and Linux, of course.
caitlyn

Nov 21, 2012
12:33 PM EDT
Seems like there are a lot of jokers in this deck.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!