Is it time to change the story category list?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 25
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 17, 2012
2:56 PM EDT
I just submitted a story to the newswire and the list of subject categories looks really outdated to me. I don't think we're going to get new Linspire stories (out of business) or Ximian stories. SGI is still alive, sort of, but a main topic heading? OTOH, some of the most popular distros (Mageia, Arch, Mint, etc...) don't have categories, and neither do popular topics like ARM architecture, tablets or multimedia.

I think the list needs a bit of a refresh.
bob

Dec 17, 2012
5:06 PM EDT
Thanks caitlyn for the suggestions. Mageia, Arch, Mint, ARM, tablets and multimedia are now added to the LXer category list.
caitlyn

Dec 17, 2012
5:07 PM EDT
Thank you!
CFWhitman

Dec 17, 2012
5:16 PM EDT
Are the outdated topics able to be removed? or do they have to stick around for archival purposes? Progeny Linux is another blast from the past. I wonder if Raspberry Pi deserves its own category. If we're covering Android here, that probably deserves its own category unless you think that's covered by tablets and would be redundant.
caitlyn

Dec 17, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
I think Android is a great suggestion. The Pi is simply the most popular of a number of small ARM-based solutions so I think bob pretty much covered that one.
bob

Dec 17, 2012
5:31 PM EDT
Thanks CFWhitman for the suggestions, added Raspberry Pi and Android.
tuxchick

Dec 17, 2012
7:09 PM EDT
I think we need to keep old categories for archival purposes, CFWhitman. Thanks for the new ones, Bob!
BernardSwiss

Dec 17, 2012
11:19 PM EDT
Also need categories for Android and Meego (and maybe for "Mobile" or Cell-phone).

Ooops -- there's already an Android category.

Migrations.

How about some categories for "policy" stuff: Standards? Patents and Copyright (maybe even "Intellectual Property")

Heck, that reminds me -- we obviously need a category for Lawsuits :-)

bob

Dec 18, 2012
12:51 AM EDT
Added a general category "Mobile Linux" (there are just too many variant names for MeeGo, Maemo, Tizen, Moblin, Mer, Sailfish, Smeegol, etc.), Standards, Migrations, and Intellectual Property. Thanks BernardSwiss for the suggestions.
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2012
1:12 PM EDT
Thanks, bob, for all the additions.
alc

Dec 18, 2012
5:46 PM EDT
Thanks Bob, for all your work and everyone else that keeps this site up and running.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 18, 2012
8:14 PM EDT
It's very nice to have the new categories. I still think that LXer is one of the best PHP-driven sites, ever.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 18, 2012
8:43 PM EDT
would a story-type "blog" make sense? in most cases i categorized that as editorial, but i felt that didn't always fit.

and what about a more general "linux distributions" category for other distributions?

greetings, eMBee.
bob

Dec 18, 2012
9:04 PM EDT
Added "Distributions" as a general catchall category. I'm not sure if "Blog" deserves its own category. A more generic "Opinion" might have some value, but that is also pretty close to "Editorial" which we already have.

Your thoughts?
BernardSwiss

Dec 18, 2012
9:16 PM EDT
Quoting: would a story-type "blog" make sense? in most cases i categorized that as editorial, but i felt that didn't always fit.

and what about a more general "linux distributions" category for other distributions?
Quoting: Added "Distributions" as a general catchall category. I'm not sure if "Blog" deserves its own category. A more generic "Opinion" might have some value, but that is also pretty close to "Editorial" which we already have.

Your thoughts?

For what it's worth, I have found myself tagging some links that I submit as both "News" and "Editorial" (especially ones from TechDirt).
mbaehrlxer

Dec 19, 2012
12:49 PM EDT
thanks for the distributions. for blog i was thinking of a catch-all for those blog-posts which are not really opinions but it may well be that if it is not written well enough to be an editorial and it doesn't fit any other category then maybe it's not even worth posting. i'll wait until i see some articles that couldn't fit any other category...

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

Dec 26, 2012
6:55 PM EDT
How about a category for the BSDs?
dinotrac

Dec 27, 2012
3:02 PM EDT
Wait --

No more Linspire stories?
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 27, 2012
3:22 PM EDT
Ahh good ole' Linspire.. I remember going to a Linux Desktop Summit sponsored by them a few years back now in San Diego. Got to interview Ian Murdock, that was cool.
tracyanne

Dec 27, 2012
6:03 PM EDT
You can't say they didn't try.
dinotrac

Dec 27, 2012
6:26 PM EDT
And -- say -- anybody got a good Caldera review?
caitlyn

Dec 28, 2012
10:54 AM EDT
I wrote a piece for DistroWatch a couple of years back about very good Linux distros that were no more. Pre-SCO Caldera was on that list, complete with screenshot. Back around 1998-99 Caldera was my #1 recommendation for newcomers to Linux.
dinotrac

Dec 29, 2012
12:30 AM EDT
@caitlyn --

I actually got my first Caldera CD -- the one with the Lizard installer and built-in tetris game -- handed to me by Ransom Love at LinuxWorld New York way back when.

It was a simpler world in those days.
cr

Dec 29, 2012
1:23 AM EDT
I don't know what's in the list now. I suggest that, if these aren't, they should be: gaming, hardware, embedded, MCU, DIY, events. You can argue that the latter is a subcategory of News Story, but I think it useful as a filter field.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 31, 2012
12:34 AM EDT
cr: you can see the list if you try to post a story.

none of the ones you mention are there. though i don't get what MCU is supposed to mean, and i wonder which stories you'd categorize as DIY. they probably have another category too.

event stories can also fit announcement, but i'd find it useful for searching.

greetings, eMBee
bob

Dec 31, 2012
1:18 PM EDT
Added the categories "games" and "embedded". Thanks cr for the suggestions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!