GNOME's future

Story: GNOME 3.8 - Jon McCann talks of future in GNOMETotal Replies: 8
Author Content
kikinovak

Mar 20, 2013
6:34 PM EDT
The GNOME desktop has a bright future behind it.
djohnston

Mar 20, 2013
9:32 PM EDT
Quoting:The future of GNOME is pretty clear. The world's premier and, in fact, only truly free software operating system.

Say what? I must have missed the boat. Not only is Gnome an operating system, it is the only one that is "truly free". Hmmm. And some say these guys live in their own world.
gus3

Mar 21, 2013
6:01 PM EDT
And some would speak rightly.
tuxchick

Mar 22, 2013
1:31 PM EDT
When I read articles like this, I always think of the ending of "The Wrath of Aguirre." Aguirre the wannabe-despot and conqueror, floating downriver on a disintegrating raft carrying the corpses of his companions, making boastful speeches to monkeys how he is going to found a dynasty and rule the new world.
djohnston

Mar 22, 2013
2:42 PM EDT
Quoting:The Wrath of Aguirre

I had never heard of this one. Had to look it up. Looks like an outstanding movie.
notbob

Mar 22, 2013
5:17 PM EDT
I think the problem is epitomized by this statement:

"For me, one of the things that I'm quite happy about is to see a lot of focus on improving the experience for application developers"

IOW, screw the user, let's make developers happy. I've always said ever increasing bloat and long term degradation is the result of pointless development for development's sake. "Lookee me! I made a new thingie! Lookee me!". Now they're literally bragging on how much easier it is to "develop". Develop what? Improved development capability? See a pattern? A bad pattern?

nb
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 22, 2013
6:05 PM EDT
I'm hoping that the new "classic mode" (or whatever they're calling it) delivered via GNOME Shell Extensions brings back an environment that pleases GNOME 2 users.

While I'm using GNOME Shell, I acknowledge that there's a lot of life left in the traditional menu, persistent application and file/folder icons, and user configurability.
tuxchick

Mar 22, 2013
9:29 PM EDT
djohnston, it is a fabulous movie. Klaus Kinski is perfect as the demented, treacherous Aguirre.
JaseP

Mar 29, 2013
11:54 AM EDT
Quoting: The GNOME desktop has a bright future behind it.

It's called a back-light,...and all LCD monitors have them,...

Oh,... and bright future BEHIND it,... very good, I almost missed that...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!